shape
carat
color
clarity

Convincing BF to buy online from Good Old Gold

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

adhesive

Shiny_Rock
Hello all,

I have spent the last 12 months brushing up on diamond basics and voraciously sucking up all of the information available to me on PS, trying to learn a bit more about diamonds to pass on to my soon to be fiancee. I''ve learned quite a bit, but if I have learned just one thing, it is that Good Old Gold is the place to go. My heart is set on a round h&a from GOG, and I''ve passed that along to my current bf (through hints, message delivery people, etc). Unfortunately, he is a bit old fashioned and does not feel comfortable spending that amount of money over the internet without actually, physically, SEEING the diamond first. Despite the amazing policies and guarantees offered by GOG, the ENORMOUS number of testimonials here on PS, the reports shown on each diamond''s individual web page, and the fact that Good Old Gold is an ACTUAL store of which the website is just an extension, he still is very anti-internet diamonds. This is probably due to the horror stories of people who bought from BlueNile, etc. At this point, my efforts seem futile. He is also unhappy about the price difference between a round H&A and a normal rb, thinking that this difference in cut does not change the overall beauty of the stone by much (even though Stevie Wonder could see the difference.) And we live too far from the actual store to make a trip there (which would probably put his worries at ease). So am I destined to have something other than a GOG H&A or is there anything else I can tell him that might change his mind?
Things he''d need to be reassured of are as follows:
How do I know that the diamond I see on this webpage is the diamond I''m going to get?
How do I know that the photo of the diamond''s serial number is of the same diamond as the one shown in the photos of inclusions, brilliancescope, etc.?
How can I be sure that I''m not going to send them my money and then not get my diamond in the mail?
Yes, they have a lifetime trade in policy, but how do I know that they are not a "fly by night" company? (he knows that they have been open for 20 something years, but still doesn''t seem convinced)
How do I know that PS isn''t tied in with GOG somehow, making the testimonials there less credible?

I''m telling you, he''s insane! In a world with internet scams galore I can see why people have to be extra careful, but he seems as if he absolutely positively will NOT budge on this. IIIIII know that GOG is not a scam. IIIII know and trust the testimonials and all of the OBVIOUS indicators of them being a wonderful, credible, reliable company. Now, how can I convince HIM of this? Hmmm...
31.gif

Thanks in advance for any comments/advice.

Adhesive

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
1. Get your BF used to the simple truth that you will nearly always be right in the years to come and that he will need to learn sooner than later to listen to you because you won't often be wrong.
2. Convince him now that your advice on certain subjects is not to be questioned.
3. Locate an Independent appraiser that can receive the diamond from GOG closer to where you live so that the BF can be totally assured and even examine the diamond before he actually takes delivery of it.

I am going into my 40th year of marraige in a few days. It would have been far easier on me had I been properly trained years ago in how to do the right thing by following my wife's advice more often. This is the voice of experience!!!!!!!
31.gif
31.gif
30.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good Old Gold has been in business for many years as a reputable local store as well as an online vendor. He can get everything they say about the stone confirmed for $100 by an INDEPENDENT appraiser, that he picks. There are literally thousands of testimonials about GOG on this website, all from different users, so it's not like there are 3 glowing testimonials from the same person ya know?

He can ALWAYS have the diamond sent to an independent appraiser prior to actually purchasing it to confirm that it is what GOG says it is.

Just keep at him and let him spend some time on PS and hopefully he'll come around.

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
I tell you what - I'll advance the appraisal fees (for an appraiser of his choice) and eat them if the appraiser does not approve of the stone... in exchange for an invitation to the wedding (just kidding on the second part)

adhesive

Shiny_Rock
Haha, thanks David - finally SOMEBODY understands!!!!! And a MAN at that! Go figure. I''ll be working on him until he gives in, don''t you worry.

Thank you neatfreak, that''s some good information. I think being able to have the quality confirmed BEFORE he purchases it will really, really help him see the light. I''ve been trying to get him to check out PS and actually LEARN about that gigantic purchase he is about to make, but he''s determined to do it his way or no way - it has to be his idea or it''s not going to happen. Looks like I''ve got some "convincing" (*cough* manipulating *cough*
9.gif
) to do here.
2.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Send him our way, we are really good at putting people at ease. For what it''s worth, I have bought from GOG twice , and am thrilled with my purchases. Jonathon is great to work with. Best of luck.

adhesive

Shiny_Rock
Thanks coyote, I''ll call him right now to let him know!
25.gif
All we will need is your social security number, bank account number... ... ... Haha

But, seriously, I''m afraid you underestimate the sheer stubbornness of my bf. I''ve offered to pay for half of the ring (which he would NEVER have... and considering that I''m in still in college, I wouldn''t be able to make good on that offer anyway
22.gif
14.gif
), and he''s still refused. Tsk Tsk Tsk...

adhesive

Shiny_Rock
And thank you, Kaleigh, will do :)

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
How about buying the cheapest GOG H&A round you can find yourself and ask him to find a stone of similar size, color and clarity cheaper than this stone, and still perform better, in a mall in 30 days... if he can find one that is. If not, you can just use use the GOG upgrade policy and upgrade to the actual ring stone.

EDT:
Here is a 0.2ct F SI1 for $350 bankwire price, should be affordable even for a college student. :p http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/1613/

CCNZ

Rough_Rock
This thread title must be bad for business.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/8/2008 5:34:19 PM
Author: CCNZ
This thread title must be bad for business.
Not loving the title..... Perhpas the OP can ask the mods to change it to, how can I get my BF, FF to buy online from GOG?? That sounds better to me.
5.gif

adhesive

Shiny_Rock
Goodness, you guys are right about the thread title. Certainly NOT my intention - the opposite, in fact. I''m a bit of a newbie, so can anyone tell me how to change it?

Adhesive

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
You can''t. You just have to ask the admin to do it for you with the msg admin button near the top right corner.

adhesive

Shiny_Rock
Took care of it! Thank you stone-cold.

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
Ad, it is hard to understand why your FF won't even TRY GOG when in a matter of days, you could have a gorgeous diamond IN HAND to take to an independent appraiser for verification. It is an absolutely risk-free transaction. I too have bought 2 diamonds from GOG and they are awesome. You receive this little box with a diamond in it buried under mountains of paperwork that tell you everything you need to know about what's in the little box.

The diamond you see WILL be the one you get! Guaranteed. Not trying to offend, but your FF is being plain silly. Jonathan is the greatest, and you might urge your FF to call him and talk to him directly to ease his fears. Jonathan is so nice, he will be convinced too!

Another alternative is to lie down on the ground, beat your fists and scream that you want a diamond from GoodOldGold! That might change his mind.

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
I feel like I do this too much, but I''ll be the devil''s advocate. I''m very anti-buying-anything-online so I can understand where your BF is coming from. I think I''ve only managed to buy one thing online that wasn''t messed up in some way so I shy away from it whenever possible. Add to that anxiety the task of buying something sooo important to you - your engagement ring. He wants it to be perfect and doesn''t want to waste his money on something that he''s convinced is a scam.

Also, in the "real world" (meaning not on PS) nobody will care where your stone was from, what the stats are or who certified (?) the stone. I say this as I proudly show off my Leo, from the mall, on PS. That said, I got my stone way before I knew this site even existed and hubby isn''t an upgrade sort of guy so lesson learned.

Basically, while nobody will really care about the nitty gritty, if it means a lot to you then by all means send him here and we''ll talk some sense into him
2.gif
Good luck and post pics when you get the beauty!

Diva

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
DD007, you are right about no one caring about stats when you have the rock on your finger, provided the rock is a good one. Let''s face it, most mall stores carry junk and the ones that don''t charge an arm and a leg. I only encourage buying online because of better pricing for better stones, and perhaps access to unusual cuts if you like that kind of thing. Plus you can''t beat the convenience of being able to shop for rocks in your pj''s.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Contact an appraiser and have your boyfriend have a conversation with them. Let the appraiser give your BF some suggestions about what he should look for in a stone. Make sure he mentions things like AGS, GIA, Idealscope, ASET, Holloway Cut Adviser.

Maybe by that time your BF will consider shipping a GOG stone directly to the appraiser. And if it doesn''t get a WHAOA! from the appraiser it can be shipped right back.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hi, if it helps at all, I have bought twice from GOG, second time making use of their upgrade policy.
Done it all via bankwire, received everything quickly and securely..

and all from Australia
5.gif

If I can do it, I''m sure you and your FF shouldn''t have any problems. Not once did I doubt Jon about anything - and my independent appraisal confirmed it all.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another option is to buy the stone from GOG...one that is laser inscribed or get it laser inscribed. Then, when you get your ring, you can see the number that is on the GIA or AGS report of being your stone, on the stone. Hard to argue with that.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/9/2008 10:32:21 AM
Author: redrose229
Another option is to buy the stone from GOG...one that is laser inscribed or get it laser inscribed. Then, when you get your ring, you can see the number that is on the GIA or AGS report of being your stone, on the stone. Hard to argue with that.

Except that you can have anything you want inscribed on a stone...and it''s very easy to polish off too. (But OP don''t tell your BF that!)

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/8/2008 4:52:44 PM
Author:adhesive

Things he'd need to be reassured of are as follows:
How do I know that the diamond I see on this webpage is the diamond I'm going to get?
The diamond is generally identifiable in two obvious ways....matching the report number on the inscription to the report reflected on the webpage is one. The other is to look at the diamond - inclusions are like fingerprints in that they help identify a stone. Simply compare the diamond in hand through a loupe to the inclusions in the images shown the webpage.

How do I know that the photo of the diamond's serial number is of the same diamond as the one shown in the photos of inclusions, brilliancescope, etc.? Examine the inclusions of the stone upon receipt; if the inclusions match those seen in the images on the webpage, it's the same stone. If the stone in your hand bears the matching serial number, you've just proved the diamond serial number matches the inclusions.

How can I be sure that I'm not going to send them my money and then not get my diamond in the mail?
Use a Credit card. If it doesn't arrive, you can challenge the charges. If the vendor can't produce a signature for receipt, the credit card company will stand behind you.

Yes, they have a lifetime trade in policy, but how do I know that they are not a 'fly by night' company? (he knows that they have been open for 20 something years, but still doesn't seem convinced).
There is no more assurance with a local jeweler than on online jeweler....either one can close its doors tomorrow leaving you out of luck. That's the nature of life....there are no iron-clad guarantees. You don't need one to buy a stone; you just need reasonable comfort at the time of purchase that it's LIKELY the jeweler will thrive.

How do I know that PS isn't tied in with GOG somehow, making the testimonials there less credible? You only have the word of PS. I don't think that's much different than asking "how do I know the local jeweler isn't trying to sell me a lemon stone?" All you can do as a consumer is research enough to inform yourself with the information you need to make a purchase. If you do so, the likelihood of being taken is reduced no matter the venue.

I'm telling you, he's insane! In a world with internet scams galore I can see why people have to be extra careful, but he seems as if he absolutely positively will NOT budge on this. IIIIII know that GOG is not a scam. IIIII know and trust the testimonials and all of the OBVIOUS indicators of them being a wonderful, credible, reliable company. Now, how can I convince HIM of this? Hmmm...
31.gif

I think the best thing you can do is have a discussion with him about why he doesn't trust or value your judgment. That's going to be a key requirement in a marriage, and there's no time like the present to start having faith in you. Of course he's right to be cautious, but there's a difference betwen cautious and letting one's self become so paralyzed by fear that it actually hinders your ability to make a sound choice.
9.gif

It might also be a good time to point out that since your financial future is tied to his, you wouldn't be suggesting this avenue if it weren't a reliable and trustworthy one.

Thanks in advance for any comments/advice.

Adhesive

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/8/2008 5:00:35 PM
Author: oldminer
1. Get your BF used to the simple truth that you will nearly always be right in the years to come and that he will need to learn sooner than later to listen to you because you won''t often be wrong.
2. Convince him now that your advice on certain subjects is not to be questioned.
3. Locate an Independent appraiser that can receive the diamond from GOG closer to where you live so that the BF can be totally assured and even examine the diamond before he actually takes delivery of it.

I am going into my 40th year of marraige in a few days. It would have been far easier on me had I been properly trained years ago in how to do the right thing by following my wife''s advice more often. This is the voice of experience!!!!!!!
31.gif
31.gif
30.gif
Aha!!!! Now here is one SMART man!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, I''ll just have to agree with Alj, too. I think he needs to not only trust your judgement but also want to do what would please YOU the most in regard to the diamond. I ordered two stones from GOG and returned one, and later order a pair of studs and returned those. So I did end up with one beautiful ring diamond from them. And I had ZERO problems in any of the transactions and my money was promptly refunded when I made the returns. Jon has integrity, and in fact, I trust him MORE than my local jewelers. He has plenty of feedback here, whereas you have nowhere near the feedback on any local jeweler.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Something I forgot to mention that may help you, Adhesive.....

Keep in mind that online vendors (ESPECIALLY at a site as heavily trafficked as this one) are held to a ridiculously high standard because we operate under much more transparency than local jewelers typically do.

If you become dissatisfied with a local jeweler, you may tell a handful of friends. If you become disenchanted with an online vendor and post about it, it's there for the world to see and has the potential to impact their business on a much broader basis. That transparency benefits you as the consumer; as online vendors, we understand the stakes are much higher if we aren't customer sensitive.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results