shape
carat
color
clarity

Craigslist - would you buy this stone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bling!

Rough_Rock
I found a posting on Craigslist for a stone that "appears" to be a good deal... it is EGL certified but at that price, if I don''t plan to re-sell it, should I really care if it''s possibly graded a bit lower by GIA standards?

Just wanted to get some opinions! I''m looking at 1.5 ct diamonds in the $8K range, so obvioulsy $5K for a 1.72 is a steal. And yes, I do have some issues about buying a "failed relationship" diamond, but we''ll put that aside for now and just analyze the value!!
emteeth.gif

Here''s the ad:

1.72 cts. round brilliant diamond. The measurements are 7.76-7.70x4.73mm. total depth:61.2%, table width:56%, crown height:15%, pavilion depth:43%, girdle depth: thn pol, Polish: excellent, symm: excellent,clarity: VS2, color: H, and fluor: none, Excellent ideal cut, 8 hearts & arrows. Im selling this due to a break up of an engagement. I paid 10,000 for it in Feb of this year. Im selling it on here cause the jewelers have offered me what im asking on here and really dont want to them to make money off me if Im going to take the 5000 grand hit. Its a beautiful stone. I have the invoice and apparsial and partial cert. She has the one that came with it but one can be obtained through EGL European. This would make a great holiday gift for someone who is looking to get engaged. please be local and cash only and serious inquries only. I have a jeweler that can verify anything needed.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds like a deal, but do your due diligence. Do a search here on purchasing from private parties, what processes you can do to protect yourself. For example he says there is a grading report but doesn''t have it, or that HE has a jeweler that can verify everything. YOU should have someone that you pick, preferably an independent appraiser who will verify this information.
Good luck!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/4/2008 3:52:16 PM
Author:bling!
And yes, I do have some issues about buying a ''failed relationship'' diamond, but we''ll put that aside for now and just analyze the value!!
emteeth.gif

Are you the guy or the girl? Because if you are the guy you better make darn sure your GF is ok with this. Don''t try to hide it because she''ll find out.

bling!

Rough_Rock
Very good point - I agree that an independent appraiser would have to value the stone, I wouldn''t use the seller''s jeweler. Thanks for your perspective! I will search on the forums about private party buying experiences...

bling!

Rough_Rock
hahaha I''m the girl - just trying to get a little more bang (and size) for my buck! :) BF should be proud, yeah? :)

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/4/2008 4:14:45 PM
Author: bling!
hahaha I''m the girl - just trying to get a little more bang (and size) for my buck! :) BF should be proud, yeah? :)

Hehe, excellent. You wouldn''t believe how many guys try to get "deals" and don''t tell their girlfriends until after the proposal!

bling!

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/4/2008 4:15:27 PM
Author: neatfreak

Date: 12/4/2008 4:14:45 PM
Author: bling!

Hehe, excellent. You wouldn''t believe how many guys try to get ''deals'' and don''t tell their girlfriends until after the proposal!
I can only imagine!!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results