shape
carat
color
clarity

Current lab Diamond market

Buttercookies

Brilliant_Rock
Hi guys.

I hope it’s ok to post here. So I’m in the market for a new ring to replace my old ring for anniversary milestone. I have been away from PS for so long and isn’t aware of the current price of lab Diamond. What’s is your experience with purchasing so far and how much should I expect to pay per carat.

And if I do end up selling it, how much return do I expect?

Thanks so much.

With lab prices the way they are, I would probably not buy a second hand lab diamond (because I could just.. pick one myself), but that isn't saying they don't sell. I just would not go into it thinking you would expect a return.

With that being said, its about what you want. I looked at thousands of stones and chose a 3 almost 4 carat for around 2k, but easily could have paid less for more if I had chosen other shapes.

I recently replied to someone on reddit who was claiming that lab diamonds sell at less than $100 per carat on the secondhand market. From my 15 minutes or so of research, I've found multiple listings where people sold their lab diamond rings on reddit for around $500 per carat. So that's to say you're never going to make a return, but you can recoup quite a lot of your loss, more than what most people claim from what I've read.

I recently replied to someone on reddit who was claiming that lab diamonds sell at less than $100 per carat on the secondhand market. From my 15 minutes or so of research, I've found multiple listings where people sold their lab diamond rings on reddit for around $500 per carat. So that's to say you're never going to make a return, but you can recoup quite a lot of your loss, more than what most people claim from what I've read.

I believe it goes without saying that you will likely never make a return on your earth mined diamond either. Will an earth diamond hold some value, yes. But for me, the initial investment of an earth mined diamond in the the size I wanted (4-5 ct range) versus the investment in a lab diamond that size was a lot less of an investment (I paid roughly 4-5% of what a natural center stone would cost). If I got $0 return on it --it would be still a lot less of a loss than had I invested in a natural diamond (which I likely could get only 50% of my cost back). Assume $100,000 for the natural ring ( I wanted a high quality, color, etc) ; selling it for 50% would be a $50,000 loss. Even if I was able to find someone to give me 75% of what I paid for it, it would still be a $25,000 loss. My lab ring, custom made (with my daughter's birthstones set in the shank) with a E diamond, hearts and arrows, vs1 4.2 ct in platinum was roughly $5500 total. If I got nothing for it, I would still be loads of money ahead.

I looked at an eternity ring at my local jewelry store--it was $10,000 plus tax--this was for 7 pt stones. The same look, with 10 pt stones, custom made and matched in great lab stones in platinum is roughly $1500. It just did not make any economic sense to me to purchase natural diamonds.

I believe it goes without saying that you will likely never make a return on your earth mined diamond either. Will an earth diamond hold some value, yes. But for me, the initial investment of an earth mined diamond in the the size I wanted (4-5 ct range) versus the investment in a lab diamond that size was a lot less of an investment (I paid roughly 4-5% of what a natural center stone would cost). If I got $0 return on it --it would be still a lot less of a loss than had I invested in a natural diamond (which I likely could get only 50% of my cost back). Assume $100,000 for the natural ring ( I wanted a high quality, color, etc) ; selling it for 50% would be a $50,000 loss. Even if I was able to find someone to give me 75% of what I paid for it, it would still be a $25,000 loss. My lab ring, custom made (with my daughter's birthstones set in the shank) with a E diamond, hearts and arrows, vs1 4.2 ct in platinum was roughly $5500 total. If I got nothing for it, I would still be loads of money ahead.

I looked at an eternity ring at my local jewelry store--it was $10,000 plus tax--this was for 7 pt stones. The same look, with 10 pt stones, custom made and matched in great lab stones in platinum is roughly $1500. It just did not make any economic sense to me to purchase natural diamonds.

This is how I feel as well. It's just about the pure cost. I definitely "overpaid" for both if mine because they're both recuts, and I knew that going in. They're not investments, none of my jewelry is, it's purely for my enjoyment. However I feel EXACTLY as Engrgrl in this post i have quoted, i literally ran these same types of numbers.

For me, I feel like jewelry is a completely disposable income thing, meaning if i cant light that money on fire, i shouldnt buy it.

In many states and countries for less than the sales tax on a mined stone you can get a mmd.
Thats a sunk cost on a mined stone.

In many states and countries for less than the sales tax on a mined stone you can get a mmd.
Thats a sunk cost on a mined stone.

Now there’s an interesting way of looking at things!

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP