shape
carat
color
clarity

Customizing a Ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BNole

Rough_Rock
I know that I want a three-stone ring (with side stones), princess cut. For example, look at this one...

Zales Ring

HOWEVER, I''d like the three side stones to be sapphires (her birthstone) instead of diamonds. Will a company like Zales or Jared do this? Or do I need to find a local jeweler to design it from scratch? Thanks.

I'd personally stay far away from "maul" stores like Jared and Zales. They will rip you off...

But that being said you probably shouldn't have to go totally custom depending on what you want. I'd contact a vendor like Whiteflash and see what they can do for you.

Check out Whiteflash or GOG - you will get a much better cut stone - more sparkly for a better price. Don''t buy from a mail store - you will end up paying too much for a low quality, colour and clarity stone.

I know for sure that Whiteflash will use coloured gemstones, not 100% Goodold gold will but it''s more than likely.

Purchasing from a trusted Pricescope vendor ensures you get a quality ring without getting ripped off!

Good luck and welcome to Pricescope!!

Unfortunately, I''m not really too savvy when it comes to this, so I''d be afraid to go to someone else --- not knowing what to ask for (prong types, prong numbers, etc).

I know I want white gold (or platinum -- depends on price) and a 3 stone setting -- with the little side sapphires. That''s really all I know about.

Price range is < 3k (under 2.5k would be really nice, though).

With your budget, I would say stick to wgold, and use the majority of your budget towards the stones.

Here is a link to a 3 stone ring from Whiteflash, bearing in mind, the price is for the setting without stones. You will need to contact Whiteflash for a price on the stones, ie. how much the gemstones are going to cost etc and that will give you a idea of what centre diamond you can afford. They will be able to guide you. They will be able to give you pics of the stones before you purchase so you can come back here and get opinions if you want to be double sure.

http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/3Stone/3-Stone-Trellis-Diamond-Engagement-Ring_1135.htm

Is this what you are thinking? But with gemstone side stones?

Pretend the blue circles are sapphires. (Hopefully the pic attaches)

ring.PNG

Date: 11/27/2008 7:59:27 PM
Author: BNole
Unfortunately, I''m not really too savvy when it comes to this, so I''d be afraid to go to someone else --- not knowing what to ask for (prong types, prong numbers, etc).

I know I want white gold (or platinum -- depends on price) and a 3 stone setting -- with the little side sapphires. That''s really all I know about.

Price range is < 3k (under 2.5k would be really nice, though).

Really though, you WILL get ripped off at Zales or Jared, and even worse if you know nothing. The PS vendors will be happy to walk you through the process and if you stick with the really trusted vendors here like WF or GOG, you don''t HAVE to know anything not to get ripped off. They will help you.

Ok, makes sense now. Why don''t you email Lesley at Whiteflash - www.whiteflash.com and send her that pic and your budget and see what she comes up with. There is no obligation to buy and you will know where you stand.

Thanks! I''ve emailed Lesley to get the process rolling.

What does everyone think about the 3-stone with the small sapphires? What about a solitare diamond with small sapphires? I can''t decide...haha.

Date: 11/28/2008 9:30:27 PM
Thanks! I''ve emailed Lesley to get the process rolling.

What does everyone think about the 3-stone with the small sapphires? What about a solitare diamond with small sapphires? I can''t decide...haha.

Honestly, I think sapphires as pave stones don''t really look great...diamond pave just shimmers in a way that sapphires can never replicate, they just look a bit dead as pave IMO. I think a diamond center with the 2 big sidestones as sapphires would be MUCH nicer, then leave the small stones as diamonds...

Yea, I can see what you''re saying. I''m having a hard time picturing the sapphires as the side stones...it seems like they''d draw your attention away from the center diamond? That''s kinda why I was going back towards the single diamond with sapphire pave stones. I''m bad at this.
34.gif

Date: 11/28/2008 10:01:47 PM
Yea, I can see what you''re saying. I''m having a hard time picturing the sapphires as the side stones...it seems like they''d draw your attention away from the center diamond? That''s kinda why I was going back towards the single diamond with sapphire pave stones. I''m bad at this.
34.gif

You''re not bad at this at all. I''ll try to find a picture for you so you can visualize it. Sapphire pave just never seems to sparkle like you imagine it would, that''s the only reason I am steering you away.

Not a great picture, but Jenna Bush''s engagement ring is what I was thinking. It''s gorgeous IMO!

Jenna ring A234P.jpg

Here''s a better one:

Jennaring33334.jpg

Check out this thread for pics of SanDiegoLady's ering.

I also second no sapphire pave stones. They will just be dark not sparkly. Works okay in contrast with diamonds (ie. alternating) as it SanDiegoLady's little band. Maybe sapphs would work as a color halo, but not as a solid band.

The sapphires are a little big in those pictures (for me). I understand what you all are saying about the small sapphires -- with them looking dark and not sparkly. You don''t think the same when they''re bigger?

So, now I''m looking at .5-.6 ct center diamond with side sapphires of about 1/2 the size (say .25ct each). Then there will be the 3 little diamonds (.05?) on each side. Thoughts?

And what about WG vs platinum? Should I splurge for platinum and keep the ct''s down...or go with WG and get a little bigger center diamond?

So, now I'm looking at .5-.6 ct center diamond with side sapphires of about 1/2 the size (say .25ct each).

I like this idea, i think you will waste budget on the 3 small diamonds you want to put on each side of the ring. Now for WG or Plat, i would say if you could afford Plat do that, if not WG is nice too but it just needs more upkeep because you may need to rhodium plate it again if it starts to turn yellowish.

Im going to post THIS thread so you can see what size center stone you are looking into and what it would look like with color side stones(three stone ring). Her sides are green: tsavarite garnet, but just imagine blue sapphire stones. I think this style engagement ring would be lovely for your GF.

Sapphs give color not sparkle... And in the dark blue color, it is hard to appreciate the hue in small stones. I think colored sapphs look best alternated with diamonds (which ends up accentuating the color/sparkle/color/sparkle pattern) or in large enough volume that the color is clear and easy to see. Say side stones in a three stone ring, the center stone of a ring (especially with a diamond halo, again to emphasis the color/sparkle difference), or maybe in the halo of a ring as a color accent to the center stone.

That ring Breann posted is lovely with the green sidestones! You do want to think about shapes as well. If you get a princess center, maybe you want non-round sides? Traps or pears, perhaps? Those might make your hunt take longer. I do think this is worth getting right.

Date: 11/28/2008 11:41:14 PM
Author: Mrs W
So, now I'm looking at .5-.6 ct center diamond with side sapphires of about 1/2 the size (say .25ct each).

I like this idea, i think you will waste budget on the 3 small diamonds you want to put on each side of the ring. Now for WG or Plat, i would say if you could afford Plat do that, if not WG is nice too but it just needs more upkeep because you may need to rhodium plate it again if it starts to turn yellowish.

Three little channel/pave set diamonds on the side really won't make a large budget impact if that is what he wants...

And BNole I know those proportions aren't what you want, but just trying to get the idea across.

See, I REALLY love thing ring, too. I''ve seen it before (online) and thought it was perfect. But, won''t the sapphires be "meh" on it, too?

I was originally stuck on the 3-stone, but would go for a gorgeous single, too.

ringsssaaa.jpg

Date: 11/29/2008 10:01:46 PM
See, I REALLY love thing ring, too. I''ve seen it before (online) and thought it was perfect. But, won''t the sapphires be ''meh'' on it, too?

I was originally stuck on the 3-stone, but would go for a gorgeous single, too.

I think this is much nicer than all sapphires and the diamonds will provide some nice sparkle. But not every girl likes colored stones on her engagement ring. Are you sure she wants sapphires?

We've talked about it (and even looked together) and she did not seem to mind the sapphires. Personally, I think they add a little originality...and since we're both September babies, it's our birthstone.

She loved the Zales 3-stone (my original link), but I understand the idea to stay away from the chains. I'd prefer something more unique, too.

Date: 11/29/2008 10:12:55 PM
We''ve talked about it (and even looked together) and she did not seem to mind the sapphires. Personally, I think they add a little originality...and since we''re both September babies, it''s our birthstone.

She loved the Zales 3-stone (my original link), but I understand the idea to stay away from the chains. I''d prefer something more unique, too.

She didn''t mind or she loved? I ask just because this ring is something she will have to wear for the rest of her life...so I would make sure she more than just "doesn''t seem to mind" sapphires.
2.gif

Well, it''s hard to tell. But, from that philosophy, I ought to buy the normal 3-ring from Zales. I was just hoping to be a little more original.

She knows a ring is coming (like I said, we''ve looked), but she doesn''t expect it as soon as I plan on it. I''d rather not clue her in...ya know?

Date: 11/29/2008 10:36:38 PM
Well, it''s hard to tell. But, from that philosophy, I ought to buy the normal 3-ring from Zales. I was just hoping to be a little more original.

She knows a ring is coming (like I said, we''ve looked), but she doesn''t expect it as soon as I plan on it. I''d rather not clue her in...ya know?

If she gushed over the three stone from Zales, then you should get as close to that as possible IMO. Unless she specifically said "I love sapphires" it''s best not to get too original for a piece she''ll wear for years IMO.

Date: 11/29/2008 11:01:00 PM
Author: neatfreak

Date: 11/29/2008 10:36:38 PM

If she gushed over the three stone from Zales, then you should get as close to that as possible IMO. Unless she specifically said ''I love sapphires'' it''s best not to get too original for a piece she''ll wear for years IMO.
I totally agree! Please stick with the three diamonds unless she specifically asked for sapphires. You''ll have many future anniversaries to give her sapphire jewelry!

WhiteFlash and Good Old Gold can show you three matching stones for a three stone princess ring. And they''ll be far better quality than you''d find at a typical chain jeweler.

Okay, so, I showed her some "concepts" this morning to see what she thought.

The Jenna Bush ring is out. She does not like the bigger sapphires.

Her number one choice is still the 3-stone, but she likes the sapphires on the side (she thinks it''s unique). Otherwise, she likes all diamonds. Her 3rd choice is the single diamond with sapphires/diamonds in the pave.

I explained to her that the single diamond would be about twice the size of the center diamond in the 3-stone, if that''s the way I go. I believe the Zales ring is a .5 or .6 ct center, but I would likely downgrade the size in order to get a nicer diamond. So, now I''m looking at a .4 or so center diamond...vs a .8 or so solitaire?

I''m leaning towards the single diamond with the alternating pave stones...but she is going to go look in a store to see if she sees anything similar. She stated that she likes the uniqueness of sapphires, but still wants it to look like an engagement ring.

Date: 11/30/2008 12:59:56 PM
Okay, so, I showed her some ''concepts'' this morning to see what she thought.

The Jenna Bush ring is out. She does not like the bigger sapphires.

Her number one choice is still the 3-stone, but she likes the sapphires on the side (she thinks it''s unique). Otherwise, she likes all diamonds. Her 3rd choice is the single diamond with sapphires/diamonds in the pave.

I explained to her that the single diamond would be about twice the size of the center diamond in the 3-stone, if that''s the way I go. I believe the Zales ring is a .5 or .6 ct center, but I would likely downgrade the size in order to get a nicer diamond. So, now I''m looking at a .4 or so center diamond...vs a .8 or so solitaire?

I''m leaning towards the single diamond with the alternating pave stones...but she is going to go look in a store to see if she sees anything similar. She stated that she likes the uniqueness of sapphires, but still wants it to look like an engagement ring.

Can I ask something? If her first choice is the 3 stone, why not get her what she wants?

Date: 11/30/2008 1:03:18 PM
Author: neatfreak

Can I ask something? If her first choice is the 3 stone, why not get her what she wants?

Hah, good question? I guess it''s not really what I like. And I''m afraid she won''t like it once she gets it. I think it boils down to the fact that she''s seen it in person and none of the others. The mall stores have not had the selection of sapphire rings...atleast not what I''ve been looking at online.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP