shape
carat
color
clarity

Decision time. I need your help!

TheLady

Shiny_Rock
I've already posted about both of these stones, but finally have them to compare. I do notice a difference with sparkle and fire. The 1.47 has a bit more than the 1.44. I also notice more fire from the side view of the 1.47. 1.47 is about .1mm smaller. I'm not sure if it's in my mind, but I think I can see the size difference. Could the 35.5 crown be making the 1.47 look smaller? Is it worth the higher price when I'm essentially getting a smaller looking stone? Based on the pictures what would you do?

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD13183953

7.25 x 7.20 x 4.51 mm

1581381585288.png 1581381601170.png 1581381613418.png 1581381629514.png

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD12467243#

7.35 x 7.32 x 4.39 mm
Screenshot_20200112_122317.png Screenshot_20200112_122344.png Screenshot_20200112_122344.png Screenshot_20200112_122434.png Screenshot_20200112_122516.png

TheLady

Shiny_Rock
Screenshot_20200210-192441.png Screenshot_20200210-192329.png Screenshot_20200210-192410.png

Not the greatest pics. Appreciate your thoughts and advice.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I’m so confused on which data corresponds to which stone. From the photos I will say that the stone on the right stands out more to me. That little circle at the middle of the stone is too large for me in the photos on the left, I like the smaller center circle (see my avatar!). Is this the stone with the 57 table? That stone has better specs to me. I don’t like a 59/59, nor the 13.5 crown height. I also like smaller tables. Yes, the stone pictured on the right looks smaller but for what characteristics appeal to me I think it’s nicer. The stone with the 59 table and 59 depth and shorter crown height is a shallow spready-er stone so it will look larger. But are you compromising something because of it? Clearly you think so or you wouldn’t be asking and wouldn’t be questioning it. I would imagine the 59/59 is discounted because of the reasons I’ve brought up. So you need to reconcile in your mind do you want the stone that’s smaller and more $ but more appealing to you? Or are you going for size and price? The price shouldn’t play a role, it’s intimately a nominal difference.
Do you have a side view? I want you to see that because you will be seeing the side view all the time and I want you to make sure you like a flatter look.

Last edited:

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Unless you’re wearing another diamond side by side, I highly doubt you’d recall the size difference in the long-term. But it can be a mind-clean issue where it nags at you. I’ve owned both a 60/60 and now one with a much higher crown. Personally, I love the higher crown for the fire and profile view, and would take that over a flatter crown any day - even with the .08-.1mm difference. You may feel otherwise.

As for the price difference, I think that has more to do with the higher clarity on the 1.47ct than anything else. So I wouldn’t view it as paying more for a smaller size.

TheLady

Shiny_Rock
Yes, the one on the right with the smaller circle is the 57 table. I wasn't really bothered by the look of the shallower crown, but I did notice a difference in sparkle from side with the 35.5. Is the .1 mm difference the noticable size difference. Or does the crown angle add to the difference. I'm juSt wondering if some of it is in my mind because I know it's larger. Here is a side view. Sorry for the bad lighting. Screenshot_20200211-003457.png

TheLady

Shiny_Rock
I was also thinking I was noticing more of a tint in the 1.47 (on the right). Maybe it's a bad picture, but I'm definitely noticing it in the side view picture.

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A higher crown angle does have the potential of placing more of weight on top but so does the thicker girdle. It’s essentially a taller diamond - 4.51mm vs. 4.39mm

There is also a wider range of color as you go lower down the spectrum. So, the 1.47 could be a lower I than the 1.44. Since you have the good fortune of having both to compare side by side, I would definitely view them in as many lighting situations possible before drawing a conclusion.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I like the side view of the one on the right much better. But I do see what you are saying about the color.

TheLady

Shiny_Rock
I like the side view of the one on the right much better. But I do see what you are saying about the color.

I didn't think the tint difference was quite that drastic IRL. I will try to get better pics in better light.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
If you are okay with tint... and it may have just been angle or something then I like this one (if I were buying).

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also see the tint difference.

Remember that color grades can have a range of variance, meaning that while two stones may both may be graded an I color, one may be a high or low I. A high I may be closer to an H, whereas a low I may be closer to a J.

The more colorless the stone, the less range there is. So a D would have very little variance. An I will have more variance, but not as much as say a K or L.

When looking at the picture you took, I would be curious if you are picking up background color or not. If you notice, the 60/60 stone on the left has a more cream/white background, where the 35.5/40.6 stone has some shadows at play, kind of in a swooping motion.

I am curious if you get any obstruction issues with either stone. Sometimes the 40.6 pavilions can be an issue, but not always. Basically, it would get a little darker as you obstruct/block the light.

shallow girl gif.gif

TheLady

Shiny_Rock
The 60/60 is set in 18 k and the 35.5 crown is set in platinum. Could that be reflecting differently? I also think the prongs are thicker / closer together where they come down in a v near the shank on the 35.5. Again...maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me. Screenshot_20200211-125222.png

TheLady

Shiny_Rock
I also see the tint difference.

Remember that color grades can have a range of variance, meaning that while two stones may both may be graded an I color, one may be a high or low I. A high I may be closer to an H, whereas a low I may be closer to a J.

The more colorless the stone, the less range there is. So a D would have very little variance. An I will have more variance, but not as much as say a K or L.

When looking at the picture you took, I would be curious if you are picking up background color or not. If you notice, the 60/60 stone on the left has a more cream/white background, where the 35.5/40.6 stone has some shadows at play, kind of in a swooping motion.

I am curious if you get any obstruction issues with either stone. Sometimes the 40.6 pavilions can be an issue, but not always. Basically, it would get a little darker as you obstruct/block the light.

shallow girl gif.gif

I'm not sure I'm noticing any darkeness in one over the other. Maybe I'm not shading them correctly. Just our of curiosity. What causes the edges of a diamond to be dark or not as bright. Is it a shallow down or a steep crown?

So u think for the 1.47 weight the diameter is too small?

From the top view I do notice the size difference. Overall appearance I think the stone looks beefier (for lack of a better term).

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with the comments about the difference in color and fire between the two diamonds. @stonewell, you mentioned looking at different lighting conditions, which I think is a good suggestion. Have you tried looking at both diamonds under natural and artificial light? This may help you see the difference in fire and color better. As @sledge said, color can be affected by the background. So looking at it under different conditions may help you make a more accurate decision. time calculator

Hi @kanecharles and Welcome ,

This is an old thread. FYI...It helps to check the dates on the threads so you don't pull up threads that have already been resolved.
(this thread is from 2020).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results