shape
carat
color
clarity

Designing a cup for my WX radiant

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
I recently purchased a 3.18 ct WX radiant. I have a relatively clear plan for this stone. I want to set it in a halo of pink diamonds or a double halo of yellow and pink diamonds. The stone is very clearly yellow but I know I want to do a color enhancement cup to play it up as much as possible. I’m currently struggling with what to do to hide or play up the cup. I may engrave it like I’ve seen on Mark Broumand rings but I’m thinking I might prefer to do a design over it like this ring by diamonds by Lauren. I want to keep it modern but something different than the typical petals. Any ideas?
IMG_1474.jpeg IMG_1504.jpeg

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Have you considered asking David if he'd set it? He has tons of experience with these colors.

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
Are you looking for something geometric, floral (not petals), filigree, or some other category?

Since your stone is a radiant, I like the idea of going geometric with your basket! I also feel like a ring looks more cohesive when the cup is hidden personally.

My local jeweler showed me a yellow diamond ring (with a cup) he had made for another client once where he managed to almost entirely hide the cup, which I liked. She had gone for a white diamond + white gold halo, and what he did was he made a typical WG basket (in her case a floral pattern) and the cup was inside (away from the sides of the basket, so you couldn’t really see it).

agingsparkle

Shiny_Rock
I actually have that DBL ring or its sibling! Mine's a 3.01ct FLY and I love everything about the setting. Happy to answer any questions. I just got earrings from David, 3.01 ctw Y-Z in yellow gold stud settings which I'm eventually thinking I'll make into dangles that incorporate the flower petal theme, but for now I'm enjoying the studs and making sure I want to go in the drop direction since I usually wear studs.

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Have you considered asking David if he'd set it? He has tons of experience with these colors.

I hadn’t. His work is amazing but I typically work with DK because I’m in California and prefer to keep it west coast.

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Are you looking for something geometric, floral (not petals), filigree, or some other category?

Open to geometric or floral. I already have a ring with the petals so I just want something different.

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Since your stone is a radiant, I like the idea of going geometric with your basket! I also feel like a ring looks more cohesive when the cup is hidden personally.

My local jeweler showed me a yellow diamond ring (with a cup) he had made for another client once where he managed to almost entirely hide the cup, which I liked. She had gone for a white diamond + white gold halo, and what he did was he made a typical WG basket (in her case a floral pattern) and the cup was inside (away from the sides of the basket, so you couldn’t really see it).

Yes! I agree with geometric. I just can’t seem to find much inspiration online.

Yes! I agree with geometric. I just can’t seem to find much inspiration online.

I did some Googling and couldn’t see anything because I feel like I don’t know what keywords to use. But I’ve definitely seen baskets with designs like triangles (top and tail, so it looks like a zigzag) for example. So I know it can be done and look nice also.

Ask your jeweler to show you examples of rings they’ve made maybe?

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
Open to geometric or floral. I already have a ring with the petals so I just want something different.
A couple inspiration images I had from my geometric/art deco/emerald board.
Screenshot_20240624-114052.png
1000003045.png 1000003044.png

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
A couple of antique/vintage ring inspiration
1000003047.jpg 1000003048.jpg

I started looking for inspiration in unusual places after a while - wallpaper patterns, art deco house decorations, etc
1000003049.png 1000003050.png 1000003051.png 1000003052.png

Last edited:

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Ok so I think I figured out the design! Stay tuned. I was initially thinking single halo and split shank. My husband is voting double halo. Inner yellow, outer pink. Similar to this. Thinking single claw prongs though? IMG_0610.jpeg

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
A couple of antique/vintage ring inspiration
1000003047.jpg 1000003048.jpg

I started looking for inspiration in unusual places after a while - wallpaper patterns, art deco house decorations, etc
1000003049.png 1000003050.png 1000003051.png 1000003052.png

So helpful! Thank you

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Now I’m deciding between double halo- yellow inner pink outer and single pink halo. What would you guys do?

Now I’m deciding between double halo- yellow inner pink outer and single pink halo. What would you guys do?

Yellow inner and pink outer will help enhance the colour of your radiant, in my brief experience of having an alphabet yellow stone. It would be my suggestion for sure!

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Yellow inner and pink outer will help enhance the colour of your radiant, in my brief experience of having an alphabet yellow stone. It would be my suggestion for sure!

Thank you! I’ve never been a fan of double halos but I think it will be good for finger coverage and that was my husbands vote. I’d make the inner halo a bit smaller than the outer.

StarshineSweet

Rough_Rock
Trade
While designing your dream ring, just remember it will need to be cleaned, and if you can't access the culet it will drive you mad.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results