shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Stud Help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mudrummer

Rough_Rock
Hi - first post here and looking for some help to purchase my lovely bride a set of diamond stud earrings for Christmas.

I know some here rave about Whiteflash - I have been looking both there and at Blue Nile. Really considering going with the Blue Nile, build your own route.

My budget maxes out around $2,200 - so hoping to get somewhere near 1 ct. tw.

I am wondering if you could help give me some perspective on the following options.

Currently my options through Blue Nile are:

1 ct tw - Ideal, G, SI2, Symmetry: Excellent ($1,795)

vs.

0.95 ct tw - Ideal, D&E, SI1&2, Symmetry: Very Good & Excellent ($1,812)

I think the crux of my issue comes down to color and clarity. I know these are vital for rings but have heard differing opinions on the importance when it comes to earrings. For example, I don''t know if I should go with an eye clean SI2 or spend some additional $ for a VS1. Likewise I don''t know if it is worth the extra cash for a D or F diamond or if a G would suffice.

About the only thing I am certain of is the ideal cut.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much,
Paul

Have you run the numbers for these "ideal" cuts through the cut advisor? You want to do taht to make sure they really are ideal.

Clarity being low isn't a problem for earrings, but because it's BN and you can't see them, unless a BN rep can assure you they are eyeclean, I would go up a bit personally just to make sure...

And you could drop on color quite a bit, down to H or I easily in an ideal cut earring.

Date: 12/8/2008 1:16:48 PM
Author: neatfreak
Have you run the numbers for these ''ideal'' cuts through the cut advisor? You want to do taht to make sure they really are ideal.

Clarity being low isn''t a problem for earrings, but because it''s BN and you can''t see them, unless a BN rep can assure you they are eyeclean, I would go up a bit personally just to make sure...

And you could drop on color quite a bit, down to H or I easily in an ideal cut earring.
Ditto. Cut is everything to a diamond, it''s what truly makes it beautiful and sparkly. Color and clarity play little in performance, when well cut. In an exceptionally cut stone, as neat said, you can easily go down to I, and really J, plus SI1 in clarity.

Thanks that tool is a great help, I will certainly use it my final selection. Also great notes on the color.

Ok so have it down to four pairs I think - would love some thoughts on the following info:

Set 1: $1,767
Diamond 1: AGSL Certified, .46 ct, H, SI1 - rated 2.4 using Cut Advisor
Diamond 2: AGSL Certified, .47 ct, G, SI1 - rated 1.3 using Cut Advisor

Set 2: $1,829
Diamond 1: GIA Certified, .46 ct, F, SI1 - rated 1.3 using Cut Advisor
Diamond 2: GIA Certified, .46 ct, G, SI1 - rated 1.6 using Cut Advisor

Set 3: $1,712
Diamond 1: GIA Certified, .46 ct, H, SI1 - rated 0.8 using Cut Advisor
Diamond 2: AGSL Certified, .46 ct, H, SI1 - rated 2.4 using Cut Advisor

Set 4: $1,978
Diamond 1: GIA Certified, .46 ct, H, VSI1 - rated 1.4 using Cut Advisor
Diamond 2: AGSL Certified, .46 ct, G, VSI2 - rated 1.3 using Cut Advisor

Right now I am leaning towards Set 2 or Set 4 - would love feedback though. Any other considerations that I have not taken into account?

Also I have read some differing opinions on Gold vs. Platinum for earrings. My wife''s rings are platinum but I know it is a softer metal and did not know how the screwbacks would hold up in platinum vs. gold.

Thanks!

2 or 4 for sure. I like platinum for earrings because some people are very sensitive to the alloys in gold and thus can''t wear gold earrings without irritation (like myself). Screwbacks will wear down over time though regardless of the metal...you can always get friction backs if you are worried.

Thanks - I am working with BN to confirm set #2 is eye clean if so I will probably go with those in Platinum - should be great!

Date: 12/8/2008 5:54:54 PM
Author: mudrummer
Thanks - I am working with BN to confirm set #2 is eye clean if so I will probably go with those in Platinum - should be great!

Yes they should. What a lucky lady!

Actually set one is very good, both are AGS0 cut grade. I would go for that. AGS0 cut grade trumps HCA score.

Date: 12/8/2008 5:58:25 PM
Author: Stone-cold11
Actually set one is very good, both are AGS0 cut grade. I would go for that. AGS0 cut grade trumps HCA score.
I would say, not necessarily. All AGS0''s are not created equal. And since we know nothing of the numbers on any of these, and more importantly, where the x fell on them, I''d want to see all that before saying for sure.

mud, could you list all the info on sets 1, 2, and 4 if you want. Not sure about the VSI1/VSI2, which did you mean there?

And I''ll add, unless your girl is sensitive to white gold, I''d go with that myself. No one will know the difference, and earrings don''t take the abuse a ring does.

Thanks mud! I would say go with set #2. The first stone in the first set might well be ok, but I''d say the stones in set 2 are a tad closer to what we like to see.

Date: 12/8/2008 8:04:32 PM
Author: Ellen
Thanks mud! I would say go with set #2. The first stone in the first set might well be ok, but I''d say the stones in set 2 are a tad closer to what we like to see.

I''m with Ellen on this one...#2 gets my vote too considering you can''t see them in person.

Ok... one final question on this while I am waiting for Blue Nile to confirm eye clean on set #2.

As I have been reading posts on the forum I have noticed that there are few here who hold Blue Nile in high esteem and I am wondering if I should be concerned purchasing through them?

My reasoning for going with Blue Nile over a site like Good Old Gold or Whiteflash was primarily ease of use. I wanted to specifically pick the stones for the earrings rather than going with a preset option based on stone minimum''s (eg. Color H-I, Clarity at least S1 etc.) Blue Nile seemed to be the only site where I could look at matched pairs of stones together and this was helpful to me in making what I want to be an informed decision.

So with all that being said and based on the cert''s for set #2 should I be wary of purchasing through Blue Nile and looking elsewhere?

Date: 12/9/2008 11:40:20 AM
Ok... one final question on this while I am waiting for Blue Nile to confirm eye clean on set #2.

As I have been reading posts on the forum I have noticed that there are few here who hold Blue Nile in high esteem and I am wondering if I should be concerned purchasing through them?

My reasoning for going with Blue Nile over a site like Good Old Gold or Whiteflash was primarily ease of use. I wanted to specifically pick the stones for the earrings rather than going with a preset option based on stone minimum's (eg. Color H-I, Clarity at least S1 etc.) Blue Nile seemed to be the only site where I could look at matched pairs of stones together and this was helpful to me in making what I want to be an informed decision.

So with all that being said and based on the cert's for set #2 should I be wary of purchasing through Blue Nile and looking elsewhere?

I have a pendant from BN and it's very nice quality (it was also a pick your own diamond one). Most of us prefer the other vendors because customer service is generally more personal and they have upgrade policies, which BN does not. But that isn't to say that BN is a BAD vendor, because they aren't. They just don't provide the same services as some of the more personal internet jewelers.

Date: 12/9/2008 11:40:20 AM

My reasoning for going with Blue Nile over a site like Good Old Gold or Whiteflash was primarily ease of use. I wanted to specifically pick the stones for the earrings rather than going with a preset option based on stone minimum''s (eg. Color H-I, Clarity at least S1 etc.) Blue Nile seemed to be the only site where I could look at matched pairs of stones together and this was helpful to me in making what I want to be an informed decision.

So with all that being said and based on the cert''s for set #2 should I be wary of purchasing through Blue Nile and looking elsewhere?
Mud, BN is a fine vendor. If their services most close match your wants/needs, there are no worries.

Having said that, I do want to point out that most of the often-mentioned vendors here also allow you to specifically pick the stones you''d like in your earrings. While some of us also provide preset options for those who''d rather "leave the driving up to us", nearly all of us have the ability to let you select the stones and even go so far as to link info on matching diamonds.

In our case, when you click into a stone''s details, there''s a link above the stone image that says "matching diamonds"; clicking it will suggest possible mates. I believe the other often-mentioned vendors have similar functionalities.

Hope that information helps, and best of luck in your purchase.

Thank you each for the help you have provided. Today I placed the order for Set #2 in Platinum setting. I will make sure to post some photos once they arrive.

I did have another question. I know that Blue Nile will provide me with both the GIA reports and an appraisal as this is a build your own piece. I am wondering if it would be wise to have a secondary appraisal of the piece as well. Or is this something I should do only if the quality does not meet my expectations? Just wondering what the experts think!

Date: 12/12/2008 12:43:39 PM
Thank you each for the help you have provided. Today I placed the order for Set #2 in Platinum setting. I will make sure to post some photos once they arrive.

I did have another question. I know that Blue Nile will provide me with both the GIA reports and an appraisal as this is a build your own piece. I am wondering if it would be wise to have a secondary appraisal of the piece as well. Or is this something I should do only if the quality does not meet my expectations? Just wondering what the experts think!
Yay! Can''t wait to see them mud.

What you get from BN could be enough. Just make sure that in the appraisal there''s enough detailed info., so that should you have to replace them, you get the exact same type quality from the ins. co. If your policy is the type that cashes out and just cuts you a check in case of a claim, no worries.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP