shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond stud match - close enough?

Shannon72781

Shiny_Rock
Hi all, I found a pair of studs that meet my requirements and budget but they’re not exactly a perfect size match.
They are 2 ACA diamonds that have the following measurements:
1) 7.45x7.44x4.59 mm
2) 7.38x7.37x4.52 mm

I can post pics after I place them on hold as I’m seriously considering them.

As they will be earrings, will the measurements be close enough that it won’t look wonky as a pair?

That difference would bother me but that doesn’t mean it would bother you! Most people say that because your head separates them, a small difference isn’t noticeable. I had a pair once with a smaller variance than yours and I sent them back. The difference drove me crazy, but also, I was unhappy with the color so the size difference wasn’t my only reason for changing them.

I agree with @Patty. Size variance is either something you can live with or you can’t. Also, look to see if their tables are close in size; variance there can sometimes yield a different look.
Best of luck - I hope these two diamonds work for you! They have some appreciable size so sure they will be a good size upgrade!

this might give you some idea, larger on left.

IMG_1090.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1091.jpeg
    IMG_1091.jpeg
    82.3 KB · Views: 8
I don’t feel like a difference of <0.1mm is visible, personally, especially when set and worn on opposite sides of the head. I would be completely comfortable with that difference.

FWIW I think my studs have a difference of ~0.06 as well, but I don’t have the exact measurements at hand anymore.

The difference of 7/100 of a millimeter will be entirely indiscernible. Seriously.

But if you're really in doubt, ask the vendor for their very honest opinion.

I think the going advice is that the eye can't see a difference until it's > 0.2mm. @Kim N, you get this question a lot. What do you tell people?

Ask WF for a side by side if you have concerns.

Personally I need ~0.2 mm to see a noticeable size difference side by side for H&A rounds. I don’t see any noticeable size difference under 0.1 mm.

I am dealing with a similar stud match decision - but my size difference is .15mm. I found this post in another thread extremely helpful...

this might give you some idea, larger on left.

IMG_1090.jpeg

Oh wow - not sure why I didn’t think to run the numbers through!! Lol
Yeah - I totally can’t tell a difference at all. I think I’ll be good
Thanks for this!

It is impossible to see a .1mm size difference with the naked eye.

I would have no problem at all with the size difference for a pair of studs.

I think the going advice is that the eye can't see a difference until it's > 0.2mm. @Kim N, you get this question a lot. What do you tell people?

I would have no hesitation with the size difference, especially once set and on the ears.

Hi all, I found a pair of studs that meet my requirements and budget but they’re not exactly a perfect size match.
They are 2 ACA diamonds that have the following measurements:
1) 7.45x7.44x4.59 mm
2) 7.38x7.37x4.52 mm

I can post pics after I place them on hold as I’m seriously considering them.

As they will be earrings, will the measurements be close enough that it won’t look wonky as a pair?

Ok so I’ve asked Michelle to place these on hold for me - and they are white and bright she said!!

Now the question is setting type. I’m inclined to do a 4 prong low basket setting but reallllly love how martini looks in my ear!

Ok so I’ve asked Michelle to place these on hold for me - and they are white and bright she said!!

Now the question is setting type. I’m inclined to do a 4 prong low basket setting but reallllly love how martini looks in my ear!

I prefer the four prong basket setting with a flat bottom to rest squarely on the ear. Many have the martini settings and love them, but I didn’t like the way they sunk into my piercing. You may have had a different experience though.

I prefer the four prong basket setting with a flat bottom to rest squarely on the ear. Many have the martini settings and love them, but I didn’t like the way they sunk into my piercing. You may have had a different experience though.

Thanks for this perspective. I’ve asked for a quote on the Sasha Primak four prong setting. Have you had experience with whiteflash’s version? They are considerably cheaper. For earrings, I’d rather not spend $$$ because my goal is minimal metal and sight of them.
What don’t think about plane sight lines of the basket vs martini? Meaning, one faces more front forward (martini) vs four prong that faces outwards more.
Genuinely interested in others opinions as I’m mixed. And I’ve dug through the catacombs of PS on this topic lol!

Thanks for this perspective. I’ve asked for a quote on the Sasha Primak four prong setting. Have you had experience with whiteflash’s version? They are considerably cheaper. For earrings, I’d rather not spend $$$ because my goal is minimal metal and sight of them.
What don’t think about plane sight lines of the basket vs martini? Meaning, one faces more front forward (martini) vs four prong that faces outwards more.
Genuinely interested in others opinions as I’m mixed. And I’ve dug through the catacombs of PS on this topic lol!

The Sasha Primak settings are beautiful, but I chose the WF four prong basket. I have had two pair of earrings from WF and chose that setting both times. I got it in platinum as I have had some sensitivity with gold in my ears - not on my hands though. My exact thought too was less metal and of course in keeping the setting cost down. They have worked very well for me. I had other diamonds years ago that I sent to Whiteflash for setting in martinis. I just felt that the setting sunk into my ears and didn’t show the diamonds off as well. Ended up resetting them into their original four prong settings. I guess I consider the front view of the earrings to be more important to me than the side view, although I never really thought about that until now that you mention it. Hopefully others will chime in with their experiences with settings to give you some additional perspective. Can’t wait to see your new earrings!

OP
If you would consider other vendors besides WF, call Leslie at BGD and ask her to put together pairs for you. Remember that Brian is the architect of the ACA and BGD have competitive stones. Additionally, the 4-prong basket is pretty common. Good luck.

I have had both the regular Whiteflash 4 prong basket and the Sasha Primak (my current pair.) I definitely prefer the Sasha Primak pair. My piercings are stretched and they sit much better on my ear. The metal is very minimal.

I have also had the martini. I do think they stretched out my piercings more, and sat way too far down in my ear, if that makes sense.

Good luck! I know they will be beautiful!

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP