shape
carat
color
clarity

Did I get a good deal

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

aubie77

Rough_Rock
As would suggest by my post count, I am new to this forum, but have been browing for a while now. I purchased a diamond/engagement ring two weeks ago, but am now worried that I did not get a good deal. I thought I had at the time, but after thinking about it (probably too much) I am now nervous I didn''t get the best deal. Please give me any thoughts you guys have. I know some of you might be saying that it is too late to do anything about it, so why do you care, but the jeweler stated that if, at any time, I can find a price that is cheaper, then he would give me the difference. The GIA report is below and I paid $13,000 for the loose diamond. Thank you so much for any help and for providing so much already while I was merely lurking.

http://www.gia.edu/reportcheck/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.showReportVerification&reportno=17483094&weight=1.45

Well....first of all the cut isn't that great. It's one I would have passed on personally just because it scores a 3.2 on the HCA...you can do better as far as that goes. As to whether you got a good price, you can use the PRICES tool above to do a price comparison. Only you can decide if you are satisfied with the purchase or not.

Thanks so much for the reply neatfreak. I ran the same report getting the 3.2 (which is what started my fear that I didn''t get a good deal). Additionally, I''ve run the price comparisons and unfortunately cannot really find any comparable diamonds. I thought my last ditch effort would be to ask everyone for their thoughts. Thanks so much for the help.

Date: 11/26/2008 9:24:04 AM
Author: aubie77
Thanks so much for the reply neatfreak. I ran the same report getting the 3.2 (which is what started my fear that I didn''t get a good deal). Additionally, I''ve run the price comparisons and unfortunately cannot really find any comparable diamonds. I thought my last ditch effort would be to ask everyone for their thoughts. Thanks so much for the help.

Is it something you can return? We would be more than happy to help you keep looking if you can and want to. Otherwise just sit back and enjoy it.

Date: 11/26/2008 9:17:21 AM
Author:aubie77
As would suggest by my post count, I am new to this forum, but have been browing for a while now. I purchased a diamond/engagement ring two weeks ago, but am now worried that I did not get a good deal. I thought I had at the time, but after thinking about it (probably too much) I am now nervous I didn''t get the best deal. Please give me any thoughts you guys have. I know some of you might be saying that it is too late to do anything about it, so why do you care, but the jeweler stated that if, at any time, I can find a price that is cheaper, then he would give me the difference. The GIA report is below and I paid $13,000 for the loose diamond. Thank you so much for any help and for providing so much already while I was merely lurking.

http://www.gia.edu/reportcheck/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.showReportVerification&reportno=17483094&weight=1.45
Hi aubie and welcome!

Well the main thing is if you like this diamond! The cut could be improved on but having said that it is possible it is a nice make of stone, all the proportions are good but the pavilion angle is a bit more steep than some prefer, but we can only tell so much without images of the diamond. If you are concerned you could consider getting an independant appraisal on the cut quality of this diamond if that might give you some reassurance, here is a tool you can use to find an appraiser in your area.

https://www.pricescope.com/appr_list.aspx

But the thing is this. We crunch numbers and split hairs to the tightest degree here on Pricescope, but in the real world folk buy a diamond because they like it, it is beautiful to them and a worthy representation of their commitment. Do you love the diamond?

Not really, but I can get a refund by the difference between it and a comparable diamond. Unfortunately, I have a problem in which my mind doesn''t allow me to enjoy things, it just tries to constantly poke holes in my decisions.

Sorry, the not really was to neatfreak''s question. I do love the diamond, but as said in the post above, have an overactive, analytical brain. I should probably just suck it up and enjoy the biggest decision of my life shouldn''t I.

Date: 11/26/2008 9:34:25 AM
Not really, but I can get a refund by the difference between it and a comparable diamond. Unfortunately, I have a problem in which my mind doesn''t allow me to enjoy things, it just tries to constantly poke holes in my decisions.
Do I ever hear you! I am the exact same way, but I like to think of it as being a smart shopper, buyers remorse can be a positive thing if it motivates you to question your purchase to make sure you bought the best you could. But then once you have decided you have, the trick is to let go of it and try to enjoy what you bought!

Date: 11/26/2008 9:40:46 AM
Author: Lorelei
Date: 11/26/2008 9:34:25 AM

Do I ever hear you! I am the exact same way, but I like to think of it as being a smart shopper, buyers remorse can be a positive thing if it motivates you to question your purchase to make sure you bought the best you could. But then once you have decided you have, the trick is to let go of it and try to enjoy what you bought!

Well said Lorelei. I am the same way too. Either start researching so we can help you exchange it or just sit back and enjoy!

I think I''ll just have to go with the latter. At the end of the day, it is beautiful to my eyes and I guess i can trust the GIA ''Excellent'' grade for the cut (that statement may have been a bit naive). All of the details can be scrutinized ad nauseum, but the "emotional" impact is what makes all the difference. Thanks for your responses and hopefully it wows my fiancee to be.

In case you''re interested, here is a picture of the ring. Thanks again for talking me into a better state of mind and I apologize for the poor quality of the pic.

Attachments

Date: 11/26/2008 10:38:19 AM
In case you're interested, here is a picture of the ring. Thanks again for talking me into a better state of mind and I apologize for the poor quality of the pic.
Aubie, it looks like a fireball to me, look at the colours shooting off it and the band stones!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Neat and I are very glad to help, in the end your eyes and opinions are what are important! I have a diamond which has a steeper pavilion than some would think ideal, and I get compliments galore on it! It is easy to get so caught up in numbers and images here that one can overlook the emotional aspect of buying a diamond and also diamonds have been purchased for years without all this info by their individual beauty to their beholder.

Please let us know how you get on with the proposal!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP