shape
carat
color
clarity

Do I want a stone with a cavity?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Echidna

Brilliant_Rock
Lovely PSers,

My partner and I are looking to purchase a stone for my engagement ring in the next few months. A very reputable vendor sent me a certificate for what could be a dream purchase: an AGS0 1.23ct F VS2 stone. However, the AGS report says that the stone has a cavity. The cavity symbol is a red dot surrounded by a green circle, which I believe means that the cavity breaches the surface of the stone. From the plot, it looks like it is right on the outside edge next to the girdle.

Is the structural integrity of this stone going to be problematic? If it''s priced just under US$10 000, would I be paying too much or would you guess that the price been adjusted to account for the inclusion?

Thanks all!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
depends on the location and size.
I don''t care for them on the girdle or crown but on the pavilion isn''t a huge issue.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Price sounds fair but as Karl said the location and size are important. If on the crown that is worse. On the pavilion no biggie. A physical with photomicrographs would remove all doubt. Good this was noted as we see VS2''s with surface reaching open feathers on the crown by which you''d never know from the lab report.

Good luck.

Echidna

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you both for your clarifications, gentlemen. I really appreciate such expert advice.

On the bright side, I forsee that my future RB might get lonely and need a right hand Octavia for some company
9.gif

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
When I hear "cavity" I think dentist...no bueno.
When I hear "Octavia" I think loooooong waiting list...no bueno.

Congrats on the ring thing. Sending you some good bling dust.
35.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto Jon and Karl.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would ask your vendor, assuming we''re talking about a PS vendor about the cavity and any issues that it might cause. If you feel uncomfortable, don''t go for it. Because the stone should be mind-clean as well as eyeclean. An F VS2 sounds lovely in that size. How do you want to set it?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results