shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you know of anyone who developed an allergy to perfume? Or do you have allergy?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I used to like perfume and I like many different scents. Now I will go to the store, ponder over which to buy and walk out empty handed. I realised that I will sneeze non stop after wearing perfume for as short as 20 min. I think it's an allergy reaction. Perfume is nice. Why does it happen to me? I have to use my remaining stock sparingly and I have so much. Do you know of people who developed an allergy to perfume despite being fine with it for years? Or do you have an allergy? (I edited to add this last question) after seeing Whitewave's response. Thanks, Whitewave.

Last edited:
Well, not what you asked, but I have always had a perfume allergy. I can only wear "white moss" by an italian brand, acca kappa

I also can’t wear perfume or comfortably be around anyone that is.

Well, not what you asked, but I have always had a perfume allergy. I can only wear "white moss" by an italian brand, acca kappa

Whitewave, do you get a headache and sneeze with other perfume but not "White Moss? I might want to look for a sample of it to try. It didn't occur to me that it's possible for one to be allergic to many perfume and alright with one or two. If that's the case I will find my unicorn one or two perfume. Thanks Whitewave for your sharing.=)2

Whitewave, do you get a headache and sneeze with other perfume but not "White Moss? I might want to look for a sample of it to try. It didn't occur to me that it's possible for one to be allergic to many perfume and alright with one or two. If that's the case I will find my unicorn one or two perfume. Thanks Whitewave for your sharing.=)2

No sneezing, but an out of this world headache and a feeling of nausea and pins and needles! Like @sonnyjane said, I can't be around anyone wearing strong perfume. Old ladies are kryptonite to me.

I just reminded myself that I need to replace my white moss, so I just ordered one. Let me know if you can't find a sample-- I'll send you one. It is a unisex fragrance, so not overly perfumey...

Some perfumes, and even fragranced products like deodorants, cause me to break out in hives. I never buy any perfume without sampling first to see how my skin reacts.

I don’t have an allergy but I do have issues with perfume - one, Chloe Intense, I initially could never wear as it was too strong and bothered the hell out of me but my sister would wear it no problems. I then had 5 glorious years where it was my absolute favourite and now I’m back to not being able to wear it without being constantly aware of its smell and faintly nauseated by it. My husband has a couple in his rotation that will be fine one day, instant headache/irritatingly present for me another day. It’s very frustrating!

I don’t have an allergy but I do have issues with perfume - one, Chloe Intense, I initially could never wear as it was too strong and bothered the hell out of me but my sister would wear it no problems. I then had 5 glorious years where it was my absolute favourite and now I’m back to not being able to wear it without being constantly aware of its smell and faintly nauseated by it. My husband has a couple in his rotation that will be fine one day, instant headache/irritatingly present for me another day. It’s very frustrating!

I want to grab that term: "irritatingly present" love that... along with another new one I learned: "holiday ****ery" (the week between christmas and new years)

I started developing allergies to some fragrances when I was about 35 years old. The first time I noticed it was when I was talking with my boss in her office and my eyes/nose started running. I realized it was the gardenias she had on her desk. I love gardenias and they had never bothered me before that. Fast forward many years and at this point, there are not only several flowers, but also perfumes and fragrances that cause me problems. There are also many light scents that I can be around without an issue, but I just don't wear perfumes, colognes, etc. out of consideration for others who might have similar reactions - and out of consideration for myself. ;-)

BTW, while on vacation last spring I was in a lovely shop that had some beautiful and beautifully packaged floral fragrances. I fell in love with the Linden scent and treated myself to a bottle. I don't know why I didn't react to it in the store, but I reacted strongly the first time I used it at home! Lesson learned - again - for now....

I also can’t wear perfume or comfortably be around anyone that is.

Me too. I move away if I can. At times I bear with it and hope the durable of the event would not be too long.

No sneezing, but an out of this world headache and a feeling of nausea and pins and needles! Like @sonnyjane said, I can't be around anyone wearing strong perfume. Old ladies are kryptonite to me.

I just reminded myself that I need to replace my white moss, so I just ordered one. Let me know if you can't find a sample-- I'll send you one. It is a unisex fragrance, so not overly perfumey...

Thanks for the lovely offer Whitewave. =)2 I will take you up on it if I cannot find a sample. :wavey:

Some perfumes, and even fragranced products like deodorants, cause me to break out in hives. I never buy any perfume without sampling first to see how my skin reacts.

That sounds severe. Maybe you can put it on your clothes instead of your skin. Though that will limit you to wearing only collared tops.

It's interesting that people can fall in and out of allergic reaction to perfume. It has given me hope that I may be able to wear my favourites without issue again one day.

I started developing allergies to some fragrances when I was about 35 years old. The first time I noticed it was when I was talking with my boss in her office and my eyes/nose started running. I realized it was the gardenias she had on her desk. I love gardenias and they had never bothered me before that. Fast forward many years and at this point, there are not only several flowers, but also perfumes and fragrances that cause me problems. There are also many light scents that I can be around without an issue, but I just don't wear perfumes, colognes, etc. out of consideration for others who might have similar reactions - and out of consideration for myself. ;-)

BTW, while on vacation last spring I was in a lovely shop that had some beautiful and beautifully packaged floral fragrances. I fell in love with the Linden scent and treated myself to a bottle. I don't know why I didn't react to it in the store, but I reacted strongly the first time I used it at home! Lesson learned - again - for now....

Get a sample first in future which is what I do now :wink2: I didn't realise it's such a common problem. My initial question was if anyone know of someone who developed allergies as I thought it was uncommon. It was only when Whitewave responded that she's allergic too that I added the second question. To my surprise, all the replies here are personal experiences. So it's definitely more common that I thought.

You could try essential oils and combine a few to make your own signature scent. Perfumes have a lot of chemicals, so this could help rule out whether it's strong fragrance in general or a particular scent that's causing the reaction.

I am very sensitive to everything in the environment including smells. IDK why but the more expensive perfumes don't cause me to react at all which I am very pleased about as I love certain perfumes. I always apply very little as I am aware that others might not find the scent pleasing.

If I am in an enclosed space (i.e. subway) and someone is wearing a noxious scent I get queasy. And cheaper perfumes cause hives on my skin if I apply. I don't know what the chemical is that causes the reaction but with the perfumes I enjoy I thankfully don't get any reaction. But I apply sparingly and only on my wrists and occasionally behind the knees but rarely in my neck or behind my ears. I don't want to risk a reaction and those areas are more sensitive on me.

And yes as others wrote sampling is the way to go. You can purchase samples at many different sites and even ask for them at the stores directly for free.

Have you had any allergy testing? That might help you evaluate the source of the problem and what you can do about it.

Pintobean, I actually defuse essential oils. I didn't know I can make my own scent :o You might have just created a new hobby for me :lol:

You could try essential oils and combine a few to make your own signature scent. Perfumes have a lot of chemicals, so this could help rule out whether it's strong fragrance in general or a particular scent that's causing the reaction.

I am very sensitive to everything in the environment including smells. IDK why but the more expensive perfumes don't cause me to react at all which I am very pleased about as I love certain perfumes. I always apply very little as I am aware that others might not find the scent pleasing.

If I am in an enclosed space (i.e. subway) and someone is wearing a noxious scent I get queasy. And cheaper perfumes cause hives on my skin if I apply. I don't know what the chemical is that causes the reaction but with the perfumes I enjoy I thankfully don't get any reaction. But I apply sparingly and only on my wrists and occasionally behind the knees but rarely in my neck or behind my ears. I don't want to risk a reaction and those areas are more sensitive on me.

And yes as others wrote sampling is the way to go. You can purchase samples at many different sites and even ask for them at the stores directly for free.

Have you had any allergy testing? That might help you evaluate the source of the problem and what you can do about it.

Hi Missy I like how you wear perfume sparingly to be considerate to others with similar reactions. I think VRBeauty said the same above. :clap:

I haven't done allergy testing but reading Pintobean's post above, I think it's the chemicals I am reacting to. I just learnt that I can create my own scent. I will most probably combine a few essential oils I like to see how it goes. I must research more. I doubt it's simply throwing a few oils together :lol:

Hi Missy I like how you wear perfume sparingly to be considerate to others with similar reactions. I think VRBeauty said the same above. :clap:

I haven't done allergy testing but reading Pintobean's post above, I think it's the chemicals I am reacting to. I just learnt that I can create my own scent. I will most probably combine a few essential oils I like to see how it goes. I must research more. I doubt it's simply throwing a few oils together :lol:
I would try dabbing a couple on your wrist lololol

I get hives and headaches from many perfumes and colognes. It seemed to get much worse a few years ago. I have had good luck with the Creed brand. They are expensive but I’ve had no reaction while using them.

I get hives and headaches from many perfumes and colognes. It seemed to get much worse a few years ago. I have had good luck with the Creed brand. They are expensive but I’ve had no reaction while using them.

It’s too bad that on my skin Creed just evaporates. It doesn’t last on me at all.

Around perfume and fresh flowers, (think hospitals and funerals) it feels like all the air gets sucked out of the room and I can’t breathe. Then comes a headache.

As much as I love perfume, heck yes, even I have issues with some of them.

Always sample is my motto. Most perfumes are aromachemicals, and you may find yourself allergic to one of them (manmade or not)

You could certainly try some natural brands, but trust me, that dosen't mean you'll be any less allergic (I'm allergic to natural lavender and tobacco)

Certain perfumes do indeed cause me migrains. those I avoid(because nothing is worth having one of those)

What exactly do you like perfume wise. some of us might be able to help :)

As much as I love perfumes, I have to be very careful which ones I purchase, too. Something I never had to do before. Unfortunately most perfumes have had to be reformulated to be inline with ever more restrictions on the ingredients allowed- to the extent that many don't contain anything natural at all- just chemical compounds that are supposed to smell like the natural ones. In some cases this is a good thing (less animals slaughtered for their glands), but in many cases it has caused perfumes to just not smell or last like the perfumes of yesteryear. Interestingly enough, several restrictions have been enforced because of allergic reactions, but I have heard of many more allergic reactions now than I used to.

Perfumes that contain "white flowers" cause me to sneeze and my nose to get congested. Just about all Jo Malone fragrances cause this reaction. Creed doesn't last on me either-but those will also frequently cause an allergic reaction, too. The gourmand family of fragrances in general cause the least amount of reaction and my "go to" brand is Guerlain's private collection of which I own several.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP