shape
carat
color
clarity

E-Ring Help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lucky201

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

So I have been a lurker here on the forum for the past couple months and it has been a great help as I work up the nerve to ask my girlfriend the big question. Of course I want to have the perfect ring for the occassion as well. I know that I want a three-stone ring with a 1ct Diamond center stone and for the two side-stones to be blue sapphires around 1/3 ct each. I would like all three stones to be round cut with the diamond having a color rating no lower than H, clarity no lower than VS2, unless it is an eye-clean SI1 and a GIA cut of very good or better. I would like the setting itself to be 18k White Gold.

In looking through some of the vendors online, I can''t quite find the exact setting as I want it. I''ve seen plenty of 3 stone rings with side stone sapphires, but none with the metal work I like. The settings I do like always have diamonds as the side stones. The one place I have seen the setting I like in person is at Zales, though it didn''t have the right stones in the setting. I was told that they could make it for me. However, I''m hesistant to get a ring made through Zales as I didn''t get a great vibe from the salesman there that helped me and he seemed to be really trying to get me to compromise what I wanted (i.e. - lower carat gold, different shaped stones, etc.) in order to fit what they had.

So, I have a few questions and I finally decided to take the plunge and post here to have the experts help me out.

1. In doing a google image search, I found the setting I like and it can be found here and also at whiteflash here. Would this be something that would be easy to replicate, but with sapphire side stones if I brought it to a jewelry store? I live close to NYC, so is there someone would you recommend to use for such a request? Also, would it be better to purchase the diamond first, before trying to have the ring made?

2. The Zales salesperson told me they would be having a special event where they would be bringing in a wide selection of diamonds/settings and that I could come back then to speak with the vendors that come in. I didn''t think this was going to be the most amazing deal for me, but rather a way to get them to sell me lower-quality product at a higher price point due to the "special event" nature, but wanted to get your thoughts on whether it was worth a perusal at all.

I apologize if this post is in the wrong forum. I''m still trying to find my way around. Thanks so much for the helpful advice in advance.

Welcome to Pricescope,

It shouldn''t be difficult to replicate that setting, so you should be fine. What I would suggest if you are in the NYC area, check out www.engagementringsdirect.com who are in the DD, and in Long Island is www.goodoldgold.com

Either of these vendors should be able to help you with the setting and find you a beautiful diamond and sapphire sides.

any setting you like that has diamond sides can be done with sapphire sides, just talkto the vendor.

Hi Lucky and welcome.

My suggestion would be to set up an appt. with Mark t at engagementringsdirect.com. He does beautiful custom work. he also carries many stock settings so that might be an option too. Also, Goodoldgold is about 45 minutes from NYC so if you are up for the short trip I think it would be well worth your while. Lastly, whiteflash is a great company and if you are open to working with a vendor long distance they could provide you with the diamond and setting with the blue sapphires too.

ETA: had to clean up a spill mid-reply post and I see Lorelei beat me..
37.gif

Thanks for all the quick replies everyone. Does Mark charge a fee to meet with him for an appointment? I thought I noticed on his website a mention of I think a $150 consultation fee. I just wanted to check on that before I started to set something up. Thanks again for the help and please keep the replies coming.

Date: 12/1/2008 1:52:05 PM
Author: lucky201
Thanks for all the quick replies everyone. Does Mark charge a fee to meet with him for an appointment? I thought I noticed on his website a mention of I think a $150 consultation fee. I just wanted to check on that before I started to set something up. Thanks again for the help and please keep the replies coming.
LOL Mrs SMITH!!
35.gif

Lucky, I don't think Mark does charge a fee for an appt, but you can contact him with any questions at [email protected]

Here is the phone # 1-877-342-7464

I e-mailed Mark and am eagerly awaiting his response. Another quick question, given my criteria above, any idea how much I should be expecting to spend? I would just like to have a ballpark figure as I am browsing.

Hi All,

One more question. In doing some research I have been told that with a GIA certification, you can go down to as low as "I" color and the diamond will still appear pretty much white. If I am setting the stone in white gold, is that true, or will it have a yellowish hue? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP