shape
carat
color
clarity

Earring / stud upgrade ~3 tcw

Shannon72781

Shiny_Rock
Hello all!

I’m considering upgrading my WF ACA natural diamond studs that are 2 tcw H SI1. The trade in cost for the diamonds are ~$13500. Since I bought them in 2021 I don’t have to upgrade with a specific $ amount. I have a budget of about $5000.

I’m open to lower colors than I’m used to (G/H is what I typically buy) in order to get to my size goal of 3tcw.

I’m also considering multiple setting types, either 4 prong basket or 6 prong crowns. The goal is to be flat against the earlobes so I’m not going to do martini style (I currently have 6 prong martini).

Here’s a (bad) pic of my current studs. They are currently in yellow gold baskets but I’m going to change to platinum so the metal is minimized. Also do you think I have lobe real estate? Lol

Thanks all for your recommendations!IMG_7642.jpeg

So your current diamonds were purchased before WF changed their trade in policy. At 2 carat total weight, you are about one carat away from your goal size. After this upgrade, you will have to spend double to trade again. Just something to keep in mind. I am sure you have enough love size but just be mindful that whatever the cost of these new diamonds will be, you would have to double that for the next trade if you choose to do that.

Hello all!

I’m considering upgrading my WF ACA natural diamond studs that are 2 tcw H SI1. The trade in cost for the diamonds are ~$13500. Since I bought them in 2021 I don’t have to upgrade with a specific $ amount. I have a budget of about $5000.

I’m open to lower colors than I’m used to (G/H is what I typically buy) in order to get to my size goal of 3tcw.

I’m also considering multiple setting types, either 4 prong basket or 6 prong crowns. The goal is to be flat against the earlobes so I’m not going to do martini style (I currently have 6 prong martini).

Here’s a (bad) pic of my current studs. They are currently in yellow gold baskets but I’m going to change to platinum so the metal is minimized. Also do you think I have lobe real estate? Lol

Thanks all for your recommendations!IMG_7642.jpeg
I am usually not one to deter a diamond purchase but wanted to share my experience.
I went from 2ctw to 3ctw and they feel heavy when wearing so I regret the decision. Even just the .50 carat increase per stone and set low they still feel top heavy to me when wearing. Jumbo backs and silicone disks with them pushed in tight is the only way they sit flat on my ear.

In my opinion, your current studs are the perfect size on your ear. However, if you wear them all the time then it’s a wise investment. I would probably recommend 6 prong due to diamond diameter.

I also think these look perfect on your ear. Have you tried CZs in the size you want to ensure its the look you like?

I also think these look perfect on your ear. Have you tried CZs in the size you want to ensure its the look you like?

Great question! I have them on order at 1.3, 1.5 and 1.67 (and 2) to try on! Haven’t received them yet but agree this may influence my thinking

Great question! I have them on order at 1.3, 1.5 and 1.67 (and 2) to try on! Haven’t received them yet but agree this may influence my thinking

Please post comparison shots when you get them!

So your current diamonds were purchased before WF changed their trade in policy. At 2 carat total weight, you are about one carat away from your goal size. After this upgrade, you will have to spend double to trade again. Just something to keep in mind. I am sure you have enough love size but just be mindful that whatever the cost of these new diamonds will be, you would have to double that for the next trade if you choose to do that.

I thought the new policy was 50% higher value not double?

I went from 2 ctw (1 ct each ear) to approx 3.8 ctw (1.9 ct per ear). I love my upgrade and my only regret is that I didn't push the carat weight a wee bit higher. I very much disagree with the folks who said 1.5 each ear is too heavy. My 2 ct per ear are super light, I can't even feel them on. So easy, so sparkly, my go-to everyday earrings...easy peasy, love them!

Forget the jumbo push back and the plastic discs! They are okay but not great. I use these backs...they are easy, comfortable and do an excellent job of keeping your earrings sitting up in a perky way...no droop-age. I jokingly call them my "earring bras".

Last edited:
There are pics of my flat-bottom, crown-style settings (which I adore) and my upgraded studs in the ancient thread I've linked below. My settings are WF creations, originally designed by @yssie and @donnabrsd :

I have 3.0 ctw. Perfect size and weight. Love them. I’d compare how both look in your ears and see which you like best. Good luck!

I went from 2 ctw (1 ct each ear) to approx 3.8 ctw (1.9 ct per ear). I love my upgrade and my only regret is that I didn't push the carat weight a wee bit higher. I very much disagree with the folks who said 1.5 each ear is too heavy. My 2 ct per ear are super light, I can't even feel them on. So easy, so sparkly, my go-to everyday earrings...easy peasy, love them!

Forget the jumbo push back and the plastic discs! They are okay but not great. I use these backs...they are easy, comfortable and do an excellent job of keeping your earrings sitting up in a perky way...no droop-age. I jokingly call them my "earring bras".

First, I love this idea about earring bras. Mostly because I feel this way about real bras! What a great solution and will definitely check these out - I currently have jumbo backs and was considering getting them again because they were effective but willing to try something else that gets the job done cheaper for larger weight

Second, your earrings are SPECTACULAR RWS - they truly are works of art in their custom crowns. I’d love to do something similar but don’t want to sink a lot into settings if a basic basket may work as well. If the funds were unlimited (and if possibly I thought this may be my final upgrade - I’m thinking it may not be ), I would defiantly go this route.

Thanks for your perspective and glad to hear that 1.5-2 doesn’t seem like a monstrosity!!

So I’ve switched between 3ctw and 4ctw quite a lot and I find very little weight difference, to be honest. I’ve also in the past worn 2ctw; and from a weight perspective I can’t tell the difference between 2ctw and 4ctw even with halo jackets.

I think though that since right now you have the ability to upgrade without a minimum price lock-in you should definitely work out what your ideal size would be long-term. Ordering CZs is a great idea and I’d wear them for a few days each just to see how you feel in them. Also switch up the order - don’t go progressively larger but go bigger to smaller etc then you’ll know how you actually feel.

I’d also suggest going to a jewelry store that carries GIA certed stones to work out what is the absolute lowest colour grade you can live with. I’m quite comfortable going down to J for studs. The lower you go, the bigger you can get! With ACAs you also don’t need to worry about clarity (and id open up the search to the ES category as well).

Best of luck!

I thought the new policy was 50% higher value not double?

Sorry - I misspoke on that one. Was on the Kay thread about the double trade in!

Please post comparison shots when you get them!

Ok I promised I’d come back with comparison shots. The first one is the 7.5mm (1.67ct) in a 3 prong martini setting with my jumbo backs
The second is the 7mm (1.3 carat) in a 4 prong basket with my jumbo backs

The prong basket really sticks out I feel compared to the martini setting.

Size wise, at first the 1.67 seemed humongous and exaggerated. A few hours later I’m like …hmmm lol

The 1.3 seems smaller than I’d like to make a noticeable difference from my existing 1 carat.

I think a 1.4-1.5 may be my sweet spot?

Welcome any comments!!

Ps I didn’t post the 2 carat because that just looked too much (for me)IMG_7881.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7882.jpeg
    IMG_7882.jpeg
    205 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Few more shots because ear pics are hard!! IMG_7886.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7885.jpeg
    IMG_7885.jpeg
    346.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_7884.jpeg
    IMG_7884.jpeg
    360.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_7883.jpeg
    IMG_7883.jpeg
    349.4 KB · Views: 21
Ok I’m no expert and people with far more experience wearing studs may come along soon….

But I think the 1.67 are too large for your ears! You have delicate lobes so there is not so much real estate.

I actually think the ones you have now look absolutely perfectly proportioned on your ears. If you must go larger, the 1.3 or a hair larger as you say would be the maximum!

Are you buying them for every day wear?

I like the size you have the most. Just my 2 cents.

Ok I promised I’d come back with comparison shots. The first one is the 7.5mm (1.67ct) in a 3 prong martini setting with my jumbo backs
The second is the 7mm (1.3 carat) in a 4 prong basket with my jumbo backs

The prong basket really sticks out I feel compared to the martini setting.

Size wise, at first the 1.67 seemed humongous and exaggerated. A few hours later I’m like

The 1.3 seems smaller than I’d like to make a noticeable difference from my existing 1 carat.

I think a 1.4-1.5 may be my sweet spot?

Welcome any comments!!

Ps I didn’t post the 2 carat because that just looked too much (for me)IMG_7881.jpeg

Are you buying them for every day wear?

Hi MGR! Yes I am. I live in NYC metro area so these sizes are not uncommon, even at my place of employment.

Hi MGR! Yes I am. I live in NYC metro area so these sizes are not uncommon, even at my place of employment.

As long as they are comfortable to you, go for it! Some folks feel self conscious and other folks just rock it. All dependent on how you feel about it!

Maybe it was the angle? Idk they look huge lol IMG_7923.jpeg

Huge in a good way. Especially if you get nice mountings that hold them close to the lobe. I kinda think you should just go as big as you can. You won’t regret it.

I also love the 2 ct best

I am glad some of you can wear the big studs; I could not. Many years ago I had a pair of 1.25 carat (each) studs. They were too heavy. In the end I went far, far smaller for studs. Maybe .5 carat per ear. (I can't recall.) I sold the diamond from one of the old pair.

I do have Whiteflash hoop earrings, but I don't wear those every day. I usually wear them for occasions.

Last edited:
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP