shape
carat
color
clarity

EC - Polish and Symmetry?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kalimist

Rough_Rock
How important are these in an EC cut diamond? I know clarity and colour has to be pretty high but will ''good'' on polish and symmetry make a big difference to appearance or should they be either VG or Excellent?

Thanks. :)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/10/2008 10:45:26 AM
Author:Kalimist
How important are these in an EC cut diamond? I know clarity and colour has to be pretty high but will 'good' on polish and symmetry make a big difference to appearance or should they be either VG or Excellent?

Thanks. :)
Welcome!

It is best to evaluate the diamond as a whole on its overall proportions and not just polish/ symmetry, and you need detailed photos and ASET images if you can get them, if not then Idealscope. So it is hard to say whether good for both would make a visible difference, experts say good and above for both is indistinguishable to the naked untrained eye but if you have a particular diamond you are interested in then go ahead and post what info you have on it. I would concentrate on good/ very good and above to begin with then go from there unless you really prefer VG and higher, polish and symmetry don't tell the whole story.

Kalimist

Rough_Rock

Hi, thanks for the reply. :)

Unfortunately I can''t get any pictures because I''m getting it from Blue Nile (UK), I did ask them and was told that they don''t provide pictures as they aren''t a true representation of how the diamond will look due to lighting etc which is why I wanted to know if there would be a visible difference, I''m not too bothered how it will look under the microscope though. I''m going to go search for diamonds just now, I will post the diamond info if anything catches my eye. Thanks again!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/10/2008 11:12:36 AM
Author: Kalimist

Hi, thanks for the reply. :)

Unfortunately I can't get any pictures because I'm getting it from Blue Nile (UK), I did ask them and was told that they don't provide pictures as they aren't a true representation of how the diamond will look due to lighting etc which is why I wanted to know if there would be a visible difference, I'm not too bothered how it will look under the microscope though. I'm going to go search for diamonds just now, I will post the diamond info if anything catches my eye. Thanks again!

You are welcome! The trouble is, buying these shapes without at least photos means no more than a chalk outline....That is why it is much easier to buy from a vendor who has in house diamonds and all the information provided. In this case I would be far more concerned not with the polish and symmetry, but the overall performance, proportions, shape, patterning and all the other pieces of the EC puzzle. BN do have a good return policy ( I guess it is the same in the UK) of 30 days, so you can see whether you like the diamond or not.

I would suggest though if you are still looking, contact Dr Indira Marchant at www.bestdiamonds.co.uk , she is in the UK and is a true expert and might be able to help you.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results