shape
carat
color
clarity

Educate me - Compare these two princess cuts

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
I''m far from narrowing down my search. However I need to be more educated before I present final choices. So here are two diamonds. Someone help point out the diffs and why I would prefer one over the other. You all are so knowledgeable I have faith that I will learn tons on here and you all will help me. So please direct me in learning about these two diamonds so I can start to narrow my search. Thanks! :)

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/Compare_Diamonds.aspx?idnos=284241,336518#

Both are likely to be fantastic but I slightly prefer the ASET image for the H diamond.

Can you tell me why? I''m not familiar with how to read those images.

The difference is subtle, but there's a little more red in the H/VS2 ASET, which means stronger light return. But honestly, even though these are ACAs and are guaranteed to be gorgeous, I'm very picky with my princesses, and I've seen better ASETs. For example, I prefer the ASET of this G/VS1 (just make sure the VT/T girdle isn't a durability issue) or this I/VS1 (you shouldn't notice the I color in a stone of this cut quality).

ETA: If you can stretch the budget a tad, the ASET on this F/VS2 looks fantastic, and it's a slightly larger stone to boot.

jstarfireb - thanks! I have no clue what I'm looking at in these images. So I appreciate all help. I'm not 100% sure what the budget is going to be. I feel pretty safe around $2500. For me personally I can't stand seeing any yellow. So that's why I'm looking at the higher color. But I also want the thing to be sparkly!!! So I need a good cut. And I want it eye clean - VERY eye clean. I don't want to see something when the light catches it just right. So what do you think about that? I love princess but I'm very nervous about buying one online without seeing it. I'm reading they are harder to do that with than say a round.

Oh - and tell me about this girdle thing. I thought I wanted a thin girdle (I read somewhere that they can hide weight in girdles and charge more). But I guess that's not the case. A thin girdle makes it fragile? Help me out! I need to pick a princess diamond out in the next week. Eventually I want to upgrade to a 1.0 carat. But for now the .70 range is good for me. Of course bigger is better, but I'm so picky I don't think that's a good idea. I like whiteflash and gog. I like both trade in policies and don't see why buying from one is better than the other. I just want a sparkly rock! A small rock compared to what I have seen on this thread, but a rock nonetheless! :) THANKS!

Oh and I just noticed that the two I posted were ACA diamonds I think. You posted ones that are 4 star rated. Any reason why? I thought i was safe with ACA cuts.

I agree... I think the H looks a little better in the asset. If you are worried about it being eye clean, then the vs is a much safer buy than the si. Good luck with your search!!

Date: 11/24/2008 4:27:32 PM
Author: hoofbeats95
jstarfireb - thanks! I have no clue what I''m looking at in these images. So I appreciate all help. I''m not 100% sure what the budget is going to be. I feel pretty safe around $2500. For me personally I can''t stand seeing any yellow. So that''s why I''m looking at the higher color. But I also want the thing to be sparkly!!! So I need a good cut. And I want it eye clean - VERY eye clean. I don''t want to see something when the light catches it just right. So what do you think about that? I love princess but I''m very nervous about buying one online without seeing it. I''m reading they are harder to do that with than say a round.

Oh - and tell me about this girdle thing. I thought I wanted a thin girdle (I read somewhere that they can hide weight in girdles and charge more). But I guess that''s not the case. A thin girdle makes it fragile? Help me out! I need to pick a princess diamond out in the next week. Eventually I want to upgrade to a 1.0 carat. But for now the .70 range is good for me. Of course bigger is better, but I''m so picky I don''t think that''s a good idea. I like whiteflash and gog. I like both trade in policies and don''t see why buying from one is better than the other. I just want a sparkly rock! A small rock compared to what I have seen on this thread, but a rock nonetheless! :) THANKS!

Oh and I just noticed that the two I posted were ACA diamonds I think. You posted ones that are 4 star rated. Any reason why? I thought i was safe with ACA cuts.

You are fine buying a princess online as long as you are buying from a vendor like WF that provides images so that you can see it. You are right that a thinner girdle isn''t a bad thing, but princesses can chip easily, so you don''t want your girdle TOO thin. Basically you want to avoid extremes (very thin or very thick).

Whiteflash ACA cuts are certainly beautiful stones but that doesn''t mean there aren''t others that are nice too. A lot of it comes down to personal preferences, what catches YOUR eye as far as patterns go?

Well I guess that''s where my lack of education comes in. I''m not sure I see a huge difference in pattern of these cuts within the princess cut. Hmm. . . That''s another reason I''m hesitant to buy online. I know what I like when I see it. How do I know online? Exactly how easily can princesses chip? I''ve only had princess cut gemstones - not diamonds. You all are making me nervous!

Date: 11/24/2008 4:27:32 PM
jstarfireb - thanks! I have no clue what I''m looking at in these images. So I appreciate all help. I''m not 100% sure what the budget is going to be. I feel pretty safe around $2500. For me personally I can''t stand seeing any yellow. So that''s why I''m looking at the higher color. But I also want the thing to be sparkly!!! So I need a good cut. And I want it eye clean - VERY eye clean. I don''t want to see something when the light catches it just right. So what do you think about that? I love princess but I''m very nervous about buying one online without seeing it. I''m reading they are harder to do that with than say a round.

Oh - and tell me about this girdle thing. I thought I wanted a thin girdle (I read somewhere that they can hide weight in girdles and charge more). But I guess that''s not the case. A thin girdle makes it fragile? Help me out! I need to pick a princess diamond out in the next week. Eventually I want to upgrade to a 1.0 carat. But for now the .70 range is good for me. Of course bigger is better, but I''m so picky I don''t think that''s a good idea. I like whiteflash and gog. I like both trade in policies and don''t see why buying from one is better than the other. I just want a sparkly rock! A small rock compared to what I have seen on this thread, but a rock nonetheless! :) THANKS!

You know, I didn''t even realize the ones I posted were Expert Selection rather than ACAs. I thought I had clicked ACA on the search function. I agree with the others that you really can''t go wrong with an ACA hand-picked by WF, but I''m really puzzled as to why the ES diamonds seem to have better ASETs, yet they didn''t make ACA. It seems like they should be the other way around...? It may just be that I''m super-picky about princesses, but I still think those ES stones have less leakage than the ACA. So if you''re looking for ACAs in particular, how about this one?

A few other points...regarding color, I''d bet good money that you wouldn''t be able to tell the difference between an H and an I unless they''re side by side, so I wouldn''t normally discount I colored stones...but you actually might want to slide up a little higher in the color scale. I''m usually a big fan of the lower colors (H-J or so), but you mentioned that you''re particularly color-sensitive and don''t want to see a hint of color. So I''d probably take a good look at the F-G range. Regarding clarity, anything from IF to SI2 or so has the potential to be eye-clean. VS2 is virtually guaranteed eye-clean, and SI1-2 depends on the stone. I believe all WF ACAs are eye-clean to a specified definition (8 inches I think?).

And regarding the girdle, there are 2 issues. One is what you mentioned; it''s hidden weight that you don''t see. However, a girdle that is thin all around is a breakage risk. That''s why it helps to see where the "very thin" is. Thin is acceptable; very thin is pushing it; extremely thin would be a pretty big risk. The thing is, princess cuts are prone to corner chipping to begin with, and a girdle that''s too thin can multiply that risk.

You''re right that princess cut quality is difficult to evaluate online, as well as the fact that it''s what will make your diamond sparkle. You seem to be on the right track!

Finally, I replied to your other thread (princess solitaires with diamond wedding bands), and you can see the specs of my own ACA princess there. Good luck!

jstarfireb - THANKS! I do like that last one you posted. I'm sure I understand how the pattern of the cut translates to what the ring looks like in real life. But all of these are suppose to be cut very well. So they will be "blingy" right? I mean certainly better quality than what I would have gotten at the mall stores I hope?! The AGS report for the one you last posted shows inclusions listed as "crystal". What does that mean and how does that look? I shouldn't be able to see that though right? I'm trying to decide what type of inclusion is the least noticeable. I might need some serious help from you this next week to choose a princess cut! My fiance (and I) of course really want to get this ring selection finalized. I just need to choose a diamond. :) I probably have more questions, but it's been a long day and I'm tired of the computer. I'll be back tomorrow!

Oops! One more question. Would one of those cut corner square shape diamonds (I can't remember the name) be a better choice for purposes of strength in regards to cracking/chipping?

Date: 11/24/2008 9:24:33 PM
jstarfireb - THANKS! I do like that last one you posted. I''m sure I understand how the pattern of the cut translates to what the ring looks like in real life. But all of these are suppose to be cut very well. So they will be ''blingy'' right? I mean certainly better quality than what I would have gotten at the mall stores I hope?! The AGS report for the one you last posted shows inclusions listed as ''crystal''. What does that mean and how does that look? I shouldn''t be able to see that though right? I''m trying to decide what type of inclusion is the least noticeable. I might need some serious help from you this next week to choose a princess cut! My fiance (and I) of course really want to get this ring selection finalized. I just need to choose a diamond. :) I probably have more questions, but it''s been a long day and I''m tired of the computer. I''ll be back tomorrow!

Oops! One more question. Would one of those cut corner square shape diamonds (I can''t remember the name) be a better choice for purposes of strength in regards to cracking/chipping?

They will surely be "blingy" the facets will jsut have a different pattern, like buying a shirt with one geometric design vs. a different design.

The cut corner squares that are clipped princesses are called X-Factors at Whiteflash. They are a bit sturdier as far as the corners go, but as long as you protect a princess stone''s corners you should be fine.

How do you protect them? With the prongs?

Date: 11/24/2008 9:57:49 PM
How do you protect them? With the prongs?

Yup! You can get v-tip prongs to cover the corners. Also insurance is nice to have!

I''m getting to the insurance questions. I will ask those once I choose the diamond. One step at a time. :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP