shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement Ring for my girlfriend

Dominick122

Rough_Rock
Hello, I stumbled upon this forum after purchasing a diamond tennis bracelet for my girlfriend. I got a lot of great feedback and definitely would like to get some opinions on an engagement ring I plan on purchasing soon.
My girlfriend and I have done our due diligence & by due diligence I mean go to jewelry stores and have her see and try on different cuts of diamonds. We put a list together of what she likes and wants in the ring.

Ring characteristics:

- [ ] Elongated cushion
- [ ] Trilogy setting (Pair stones on side)
- [ ] White gold
- [ ] Lab grown
- [ ] Tiny stones on band
- [ ] Lay flush to the wedding band
- [ ] 3-4 carat if possible

Let me start by saying my girlfriend does not want me to break the bank for a ring and is flexible. The above would be her dream ring. With that said id like to be in the $10K range give or take a couple of grand.

I guess my first question is - Is her “dream ring” realistic for my budget?

I’m not far from the diamond district in NY. I work on Wall Street. So only a train ride away. Are there any places you can suggest?

What are some pointers you can give to ensure I am getting a quality piece and a fair deal?

I appreciate all feedback. I am new to all this. I don’t know much about diamonds and rings. I have attached some pictures of some rings she has tried in and are similar to what she is looking for.

Attachments

• IMG_3323.jpeg
    IMG_3323.jpeg
    179.1 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_3322.jpeg
    IMG_3322.jpeg
    190.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3324.jpeg
    IMG_3324.jpeg
    172.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3048.jpeg
    IMG_3048.jpeg
    142.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3046.jpeg
    IMG_3046.jpeg
    187.8 KB · Views: 28
I may be reading too much between the lines, but it sounds like your goal here is a fair price and easy transaction where you know you have a high quality and beautiful ring in the end without worrying about all of the super subtle nuances yourself. It also sounds like you aren't worried about getting the cheapest possible price and more that you just don't want to be ripped off.

So first, yes her dream ring should be totally doable in your budget even with a custom setting and without basically getting a degree in diamonds.

Second, since you're in NYC I would suggest reaching out to Diamonds by Lauren and Distinctive Gem. I have not personally used either but many people here have and can vouch for them.

Just a note that there are several 'flavors' of cushion cuts, but one quick division is antique-style versus modern-style. These look very different from each other so it's worth making sure you get the kind she likes. Many elongated cushions are not amazingly cut so won't have great sparkle, but there are good stones in all 'flavors'.

Modern:
1724202427205.png

Antique:
1724202453044.png

There are other facet patterns that will look different, but again most can be categorized into one of the two at a very high level.

Distinctive Gem and Diamonds by Lauren have very different approaches to diamond cut evaluation but they both are super knowledgeable and will get you a lovely outcome (and they should both have both antique and modern cushions). Because lab pricing has fallen so much in the last year or two, some prices on their websites are likely to be out of date. Again, reach out! You should be able to visit them in person and see who you click with.

If you like the antique style, the Sienna setting by CvB would be a stunning ring:
1724202771339.png

and Diamonds by Lauren has a lovely three stone too:
1724202823321.png

Both of these would be custom-made for your stones which is a nice touch in making the ring both look and feel high quality and special.

I second the suggestions to work with a vendor to source your diamond and make the setting. Cushions are very hard to buy online and you need a knowledgeable vendor to pick a good one.

I may be reading too much between the lines, but it sounds like your goal here is a fair price and easy transaction where you know you have a high quality and beautiful ring in the end without worrying about all of the super subtle nuances yourself. It also sounds like you aren't worried about getting the cheapest possible price and more that you just don't want to be ripped off.

So first, yes her dream ring should be totally doable in your budget even with a custom setting and without basically getting a degree in diamonds.

Second, since you're in NYC I would suggest reaching out to Diamonds by Lauren and Distinctive Gem. I have not personally used either but many people here have and can vouch for them.

Just a note that there are several 'flavors' of cushion cuts, but one quick division is antique-style versus modern-style. These look very different from each other so it's worth making sure you get the kind she likes. Many elongated cushions are not amazingly cut so won't have great sparkle, but there are good stones in all 'flavors'.

Modern:
1724202427205.png

Antique:
1724202453044.png

There are other facet patterns that will look different, but again most can be categorized into one of the two at a very high level.

Distinctive Gem and Diamonds by Lauren have very different approaches to diamond cut evaluation but they both are super knowledgeable and will get you a lovely outcome (and they should both have both antique and modern cushions). Because lab pricing has fallen so much in the last year or two, some prices on their websites are likely to be out of date. Again, reach out! You should be able to visit them in person and see who you click with.

If you like the antique style, the Sienna setting by CvB would be a stunning ring:
1724202771339.png

and Diamonds by Lauren has a lovely three stone too:
1724202823321.png

Both of these would be custom-made for your stones which is a nice touch in making the ring both look and feel high quality and special.

I've purchased from both and can recommend them both. I agree that purchasing a cushion is harder than a round, and you cannot just rely on the certificate. You need a trusted vendor and you need to see the stones.

Wonderful new and congrats.
Just my 5 cents on the “tiny diamonds all around” - be aware that this will mean the ring can’t easily be resized and us women over time and with babies can find our fingers getting bigger then smaller.
A lot of people who have the diamonds set all around complain that the diamonds at the underneath get damaged / fall out. That’s because the bottom of the ring gets banged about every time a railing etc is grabbed. So my suggestion would be diamonds half around, you won’t see the under side normally and and means resizing isn’t a problem.

Thank you all for your thoughts.

So it seems the consensus is to source the diamond from a reputable vendor and then find a setting.

I guess my question would be does anyone have any reputable vendors for the diamond?

Would Distinctive Gem and or Diamonds by Lauren be a good bet for both sourcing the diamond and supplying the setting?

Would I also be sourcing the two pear shaped diamonds on the side separately or would I do that when buying the setting?

Thank you Bron357 for pointing that out - embedding the ring half way definitely sounds like it makes more sense.

Also I’m not sure if anyone can give me what a fair price would be on a 3 and 4 carat elongated cushion diamond (Average cut/characteristics). I think as long as no flaws can be seen from The human eye - it should be fine. Just trying to get an idea if I will be buying it separately.

It's usually better to get the stone and setting from the same vendor whenever possible, so I don't actually recommend first sourcing the stone and then finding the setting, I recommend talking to both about the entire ring (planning to use Caysie von Bebber for the setting if you go through Distinctive Gem and DbL's bench directly if you use DbL).

You don't want average cut, that's the most important characteristic for beauty. But you have the right idea that you don't need to spend money where you can't see it, so no need to get a D/IF over an F/VS1. Lab diamonds can have issues that you can't see on the certificate, though, like blue nuance or crystal issues.

There's another vendor called Alex Park that you'll see mentioned here. His prices are listed on his Instagram and he can also make settings, but he won't hold your hand as much as Diamonds by Lauren and Distinctive Gem (for the diamond) and Caysie von Bebber (for the setting). Alex's prices would be the lowest you can reasonably find for something that's at least somewhat vetted. David Klass also makes lovely settings for a relatively lower price but you would need to be more involved since he's not really a designer. The vendor making your setting will source the side pears and you want someone with a good eye to do that so the proportions are good - or you need to basically be the designer yourself, which is harder and riskier.

Part of what you would be paying for by going through DbL or Distinctive Gem/Caysie is ease and security of knowing you're getting a good final ring. Since your budget would allow for that, I feel like you should take advantage of it. This isn't you paying a more for no reason except to get a brand name, it's that their model also includes service and they only have higher quality products. Like how you'll pay more at Nordstrom for a shirt than you would at JC Penny. You could luck out and get something great at JC Penny and pay less but at Nordstrom you have better sales associates, buyers, products, return policy, etc. and that's all part of what you're paying for. I hope that makes sense!

DbL has done many many three stone rings in the style of the ones you posted and could easily add half (or I suggest 2/3-3/4 so you don't see plain band if it rotates a bit) pave diamonds around. CvB is the designer of the Sienna ring I posted above and her pieces would be a bit more unique. Going with her for the setting, you would have someone with a good eye - if you like her vibe.

edited for clarity based on @mayaINaU's comment

Last edited:
It's usually better to get the stone and setting from the same vendor whenever possible, so I don't actually recommend first sourcing the stone and then finding the setting, I recommend talking to both about the entire ring.

You don't want average cut, that's the most important characteristic for beauty. But you have the right idea that you don't need to spend money where you can't see it, so no need to get a D/IF over an F/VS1. Lab diamonds can have issues that you can't see on the certificate, though, like blue nuance or crystal issues.

There's another vendor called Alex Park that you'll see mentioned here. His prices are listed on his Instagram and he can also make settings, but he won't hold your hand as much as Diamonds by Lauren and Distinctive Gem. Those prices would be the lowest you can reasonably find for something that's at least somewhat vetted. David Klass also makes lovely settings for a relatively lower price but you would need to be more involved since he's not really a designer. The vendor making your setting will source the side pears and you want someone with a good eye to do that so the proportions are good - or you need to basically be the designer yourself, which is harder and riskier.

Part of what you would be paying for by going through DbL or Distinctive Gem is ease and security of knowing you're getting a good final ring. Since your budget would allow for that, I feel like you should take advantage of it. This isn't you paying a bit more for no reason just to get a brand name, it's more that their model also includes service and they only have higher quality products. Like how you'll pay more at Nordstrom for a shirt than you would at JC Penny. You could luck out and get something great at JC Penny and pay less but at Nordstrom you have better sales associates, buyers, products, return policy, etc. and that's all part of what you're paying for. I hope that makes sense!

DbL has done many many three stone rings in the style of the ones you posted and could easily add half (or I suggest 2/3-3/4 so you don't see plain band if it rotates a bit) pave diamonds around. Caysie von Bebber is the designer of the Sienna ring I posted above and her pieces would be a bit more unique. Going with her for the setting, you would have someone with a good eye - if you like her vibe.

My recommendation would be either DbL for the whole thing (diamonds and setting) or Distinctive Gem for the stones and Caysie von Bebber or David Klass for the setting. I loved my diamond from Distinctive Gem, but the setting had prongs that were too thin and the diamond kept getting loose. I ended up having the setting remade by Sholdt.

My recommendation would be either DbL for the whole thing (diamonds and setting) or Distinctive Gem for the stones and Caysie von Bebber or David Klass for the setting. I loved my diamond from Distinctive Gem, but the setting had prongs that were too thin and the diamond kept getting loose. I ended up having the setting remade by Sholdt.

sorry yes, thank you for explicitly saying that. I was thinking the combo of Distinctive Gem and CvB since DG carries her settings but didn't say it straight out. Don't go through DG's in-house settings.

And now I just updated my comment!

ID Jewelry is also in the Diamond district and have a long history of happy customers in pricescope. I’m sure they can source both stone and setting.

Thank you all for the advice. I’m liking the sound of Diamonds by Lauren. Definitely would be easier to get the diamond and setting from the same source. I heard a lot of positive things from ID Jewelry as well from
My previous post on the tennis bracelet. Maybe it’d be worth considering there as Dreamer_D mentioned.

My girlfriend is all about the sparkle. I think she would appreciate the modern cut a bit more.

Newtojewls - I like the sound of the Nordstrom of Diamonds. Definitely would be preferable to go somewhere I know the quality will be on par with what I’m looking for.

Definitely not an easy endeavor. I’m happy I can go in armed with this info. Now that I know my budget is realistic for the kind of ring she is looking for - I can stick to my guns. Again. Not looking for a deal. Just want to pay a fair price.

Any other tips and pointers are welcomed! I may have more questions in the future as I get closer.

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP