shape
carat
color
clarity

Extremely Cheap?!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

About2ask

Rough_Rock
I was just goofing off in search of a huge diamond, and found several diamonds that are 1.5ct that are between $4 and $5000!? I have read and read that EGL is not the top, but can they be that "horrible" to mis-price one of their Ideal diamonds for $10k less than others? This seems crazy!
32.gif

Pricing is not done by EGL but by the vendors.

I mean...

1.72 ct, D, SI2, ''Excellent'' cut, EGL for $6,300?!
6.gif

... what gives?!

Date: 12/3/2008 5:22:35 PM
Author: About2ask
I mean...

6.gif

... what gives?!
If you drop the D SI2 to F I2 then it looks comparable in price right? This is the perception on EGL as their grading could be off by 2 grades, so Buying a D SI2 you could end up with a F I2 scenario.

I can find you a 1.5 for less than a thousand. It's an I3 without a grading report. Wanna buy?

And I can find you a GIA-graded 1.5 for less than 2000. It's still an I3, and it is only a "GIA-Good" cut

Or how about a GIA-graded SI1 with a decent cut (GIA-Excellent; HCA 1.7 on the border of AGS-Ideal) for less than $3000? Of course, it's an O-P... and who knows if it's eye-clean.

To top it all off, any or all of these may not be available (unscrupulous dealers are known to use "desirable" stones at amazing prices to attract customers to enquire)

At the other end, a 1.5 D-IF (GIA/AGS graded) can run to $50k

The report is only part of the equation...

ETA: Stone-cold11 - not to mention the cut. "Excellent" according to whom?

Date: 12/3/2008 5:36:38 PM
Author: Stone-cold11
Date: 12/3/2008 5:22:35 PM

Author: About2ask

I mean...

6.gif

... what gives?!

If you drop the D SI2 to F I2 then it looks comparable in price right? This is the perception on EGL as their grading could be off by 2 grades, so Buying a D SI2 you could end up with a F I2 scenario.

Agreed...add in a poor cut and that''ll be one interesting looking diamond. Trust me, if it was as "nice" as you think it would be priced a lot higher in the market.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP