shape
carat
color
clarity

Feedback on this stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wjsizemore77

Rough_Rock
Hello all. Just found this site and so far it is great. I have been e-ring shopping for a few weeks now, and left a deposit (REFUNDABLE) on a rock at a brick & mortar store tonight. The specs are as follows:

AGS009019102 5.04x4.91x3.62
Ideal 0
2.0 H
4 VS2
CW 0.716
Fluor. - Negligable

Price for the stone is $4100. I won''t say what store it was, but the service was excellent. I was in there 3 times and felt no pressure to buy or leave at deposit at any time, and I truly felt the associate was professional and attentive to my needs. I really liked the diamond, and really felt my gf will love it. It had the best sparkle out of all the ones I have looked at thus far.

I left there feeling pretty good until I got home and went on the computer. Upon looking online, I see it is possible to obtain a stone of the same grading factors for about $1000 less, but not one with all the exact same specs (measurements, ratios, etc.) Then I found this site, and wished I had discovered this resource months ago.

One thing I do notice about the comparable diamonds I have found online, the table measurements are smaller, the depth smaller, and yet the carat weight is near the same. I would guess that it would make the diamond appear smaller than the one I described, even though they are within .01 ctw.
33.gif

I still have a lot of reservations about buying the diamond for my gf''s ring "sight unseen" even if I saved that much money. Am I stupid? I know that if I buy from the store I will probably over pay, considering they have huge overheads and admin costs, but I just like being able to see and hold the actual stone before I buy.

I am sorry for the long post, but hopefully some of you will read it and post your thoughts. Thank you.

Bill S.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Price is definitely... high.

You could probably find you a comparable stone for half the price.

But the size, (about 5x5) is about right for around 3/4 ct. so there's nothing wrong there.

bagelboy

Shiny_Rock
Welcome to PS, Are sure you have your measuments correct? My wife''s diamond is 5.76 X 5.80 X 3.55 for 0.72 carat. A couple at James Allen were close to this stats too. Perhaps this is not a round diamond ? Actually once you have enough knowledge about diamonds, buying a diamond from a trusted Pricescope vendor is pretty easy and safe. Just because you have in front of you does not mean it is better or safer. Most b&m stores rely on people not knowing anything about diamonds and willing to drop thousands of dollars without any research. Good Luck!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bagel, this is a princess.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/5/2008 11:35:51 PM
Author:wjsizemore77
Hello all. Just found this site and so far it is great. I have been e-ring shopping for a few weeks now, and left a deposit (REFUNDABLE) on a rock at a brick & mortar store tonight. The specs are as follows:

AGS009019102 5.04x4.91x3.62
Ideal 0
2.0 H
4 VS2
CW 0.716
Fluor. - Negligable

Price for the stone is $4100. I won''t say what store it was, but the service was excellent. I was in there 3 times and felt no pressure to buy or leave at deposit at any time, and I truly felt the associate was professional and attentive to my needs. I really liked the diamond, and really felt my gf will love it. It had the best sparkle out of all the ones I have looked at thus far.

I left there feeling pretty good until I got home and went on the computer. Upon looking online, I see it is possible to obtain a stone of the same grading factors for about $1000 less, but not one with all the exact same specs (measurements, ratios, etc.) Then I found this site, and wished I had discovered this resource months ago.

One thing I do notice about the comparable diamonds I have found online, the table measurements are smaller, the depth smaller, and yet the carat weight is near the same. I would guess that it would make the diamond appear smaller than the one I described, even though they are within .01 ctw.
33.gif

I still have a lot of reservations about buying the diamond for my gf''s ring ''sight unseen'' even if I saved that much money. Am I stupid? I know that if I buy from the store I will probably over pay, considering they have huge overheads and admin costs, but I just like being able to see and hold the actual stone before I buy.

I am sorry for the long post, but hopefully some of you will read it and post your thoughts. Thank you.

Bill S.
Welcome!

That is absolutely fine if that is your preferred method of shopping! Here on PS we normally help those who are buying online but also we can assist those who wish to buy from a brick and mortar jeweller. You know and accept you may pay a bit more, but to some the reassurance of seeing the diamond in person is worth it, so no worries!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/5/2008 11:35:51 PM
Author:wjsizemore77
33.gif

Bill S.

That is just personal preferences of the vendors here for smaller table. Since it is an AGS0 cut graded princess, there is certainly nothing to worry about on its optical performance.

wjsizemore77

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone. I appreciate the feedback. And yes, the stone is a Princess shape.

Price is definitely... high. You could probably find you a comparable stone for half the price.

I suspeceted that''s what I''d hear. If I could find a comparable stone for half of this price, I think I would rather find a nicer one for about the same. I read on here of people finding AGS000 stones in that range? That means Ideal cut, Flawless Clarity, and Colorless? I would certainly be interested in finding a bit nicer diamond for the same or a little less money, but again, I feel the need to actually see it first.

Welcome!
That is absolutely fine if that is your preferred method of shopping! Here on PS we normally help those who are buying online but also we can assist those who wish to buy from a brick and mortar jeweller. You know and accept you may pay a bit more, but to some the reassurance of seeing the diamond in person is worth it, so no worries!

That is just personal preferences of the vendors here for smaller table. Since it is an AGS0 cut graded princess, there is certainly nothing to worry about on its optical performance.

Thank you for the assurance Lorelei. I expected the feedback I would receive would point to online shopping since well... we''re all online here on this forum. Folks who would say DON''T shop online would definately be less likely to be on here in the first place. All that asside, you''re saying StoneCold that an AGS0 of the same ctw would look about the same?

Thanks,

Bill.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/6/2008 9:11:39 AM
Author: wjsizemore77
Thank you everyone. I appreciate the feedback. And yes, the stone is a Princess shape.

Price is definitely... high. You could probably find you a comparable stone for half the price.

I suspeceted that''s what I''d hear. If I could find a comparable stone for half of this price, I think I would rather find a nicer one for about the same. I read on here of people finding AGS000 stones in that range? That means Ideal cut, Flawless Clarity, and Colorless? I would certainly be interested in finding a bit nicer diamond for the same or a little less money, but again, I feel the need to actually see it first.

Welcome!

Thank you for the assurance Lorelei. I expected the feedback I would receive would point to online shopping since well... we''re all online here on this forum. Folks who would say DON''T shop online would definately be less likely to be on here in the first place. All that asside, you''re saying StoneCold that an AGS0 of the same ctw would look about the same?

Thanks,

Bill.

Bill, the AGS000 designation is confusing, usually when people say AGS000 here they actually mean 0 for cut, polish, and symmetry. But it also sometimes means cut, clarity, and color as you have mentioned. They''ve changed the meaning of it over time, so it can be really confusing!

An AGS0 H VS2 princess is great, and you could even drop down to an SI1 (if it''s eyeclean) without missing anything. Personally since princess cuts face up so small, I would use the extra money you''ll save online to up your carat size a bit.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/6/2008 9:11:39 AM
Author: wjsizemore77

I suspeceted that's what I'd hear. If I could find a comparable stone for half of this price, I think I would rather find a nicer one for about the same. I read on here of people finding AGS000 stones in that range? That means Ideal cut, Flawless Clarity, and Colorless? I would certainly be interested in finding a bit nicer diamond for the same or a little less money, but again, I feel the need to actually see it first.

Welcome!

Thank you for the assurance Lorelei. I expected the feedback I would receive would point to online shopping since well... we're all online here on this forum. Folks who would say DON'T shop online would definately be less likely to be on here in the first place
Thanks,

Bill.
You are most welcome! It is important for us to keep in mind that not everyone wants to shop online, not everyone wants the same level of cut quality etc etc, so we can help anyone who wants to buy a diamond whether it be online or a brick and mortar jeweller. Also so we can help steer posters in the right direction that they can find the right diamond for them, and not necessarily what we would prefer to buy!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I don''t really have any advice but I just looked up diamonds with similar specs and was shocked at the price difference. I would certainly go online and get a bigger diamond with the money I save. However, I am completely comfortable with shopping online (even for clothes and shoes). Most of the PS vendors have great return policies so you aren''t really at risk.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
many of the online vendors here have becomem widely known and well regarded. Whiteflash has been mentioned in national publications.................. If you are looking for a Princess cut or a Round Whiteflash is probably your best bet

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results