shape
carat
color
clarity

Finally, a solution for my giant, ape-like knuckles!

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I was going to post my newest acquisition in the "Your latest jewelry purchases/things you're considering..." thread, but I couldn't resist the urge to write the "ape-like knuckle" headline (:lol-2:). Seriously though, I think the info might also be helpful to other PSers who have the same problem I've had since forever--the dreaded 'larger-knuckle-than-ring-size' issue. I had my engagement ring and wedding band retrofitted with a hinged opening ring shank made by a company called Cliq. I picked up the ring today and I absolutely love it.

I'd been sizing my rings at 7.75 in order to get them over my knuckles. Even then, it was a struggle and often painful to get them on my finger. Once on, they would continuously twist and spin around, driving me nuts. I tried all of the usual fixes, but nothing ever really worked. I was so fed up that I finally decided to try for a permanent solution. After researching options, I decided the Cliq system was the best for me, so I went to the closest authorized dealer/jeweler. He sent my rings to the manufacturer who did the actual work. Basically, they cut the bottom halves of my rings off from the top halves and soldered the top halves onto the lower half of a Cliq adjustable shank. Although it was a difficult decision, I opted to have both rings consolidated into one. I did it because the price was so much higher to have them done as separate rings. I was really worried that I might regret consolidating them, but now that I have the ring(s) back, I'm so glad I did it.

It was a little expensive, thanks to the current price of gold, but it was so worth it. It turns out that my actual ring size is a 5.75 which is why the spinning was so bad. Now, my ring goes on easily, stays securely locked and feels incredibly comfortable. Everything stays in place-- there's no more spinning! No more twisting! No more turning! No more flopping around! Every time I look at my rings, they're perfectly aligned and centered on the top of my finger. The workmanship is beautiful and the polish on the ring makes it look brand new. The center V of my wedding band is perfectly lined up with the 6 o'clock prong on my diamond. I can't tell where the original shanks end, and the adjustable shank begins. They also put in a little groove in the bottom part of the shank, so the rings look like they're separate when you see my palm. I am so pleased with the result and wish I'd done this years ago!

My pictures aren't the greatest, but here's what it looks like:
Cliq Retrofit 6.jpg

Attachments

• Cliq Retrofit 7.jpg
    Cliq Retrofit 7.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 116
  • Cliq Retrofit 8.jpg
    Cliq Retrofit 8.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 119
  • Cliq Retrofit 9.jpg
    Cliq Retrofit 9.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 119
This is a great outcome for you! How does the ring work to fit better? Can you show us some pictures of the mechanism?

I’m sure this will be helpful to other people with large knuckles. I’m not sure many will find the thread by searching titles though! lol

@natasha-cupcake -

Firstly, I can't recall ever seeing your set - and it's beautiful! What lovely rings!

Secondly - yay! Congratulations on finding a solution to one of those "every time I think of it, it bugs the stuffing out of me" type situations; it looks wonderful! 7.75 to 5.75 is like a set of rings made for a whole different finger!

And - just once again - this is a gorgeous set! Please feel <ahem> "free" to post "a few" more photos. By which I mean - zillion photos, STAT! :bigsmile: (Alternately - does this set have its own thread? I'll go check...)

Great job!

ETA Ok. So, I found the thread on your gorgeous CBI diamond and will post it here, if that's ok, so anyone like me who is unfamiliar with your set can read its backstory:

And - having just perused *all* your threads - did you ever set the yellow-blue-green sapphire or the heart shaped spinel? Do you still have the OEC 5 stone? How did you come by your wedding ring? Do you still love your pad? So many questions, @natasha-cupcake - so many questions!!

:wavey:

...aaaaaand I just re-perused all your threads and saw you'd sold the spinel and the 5 stone! And now I'm reaching out to you re another of your pieces that's for sale! :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Look at your fancy red nails! I'm glad you decided to go for it, I remember the last time we went out for coffee you mentioned that you were considering this. I'm glad you chose to solder the chevron band to the solitaire because they look so pretty together.

Wow! So well done you cant even tell its different than any other ring. Can you show the ring "opened" up so people can
see how the mechanism works? I think this is worth it for an ering/wedding band that you wear everyday!

Last edited:
Wow it really is seamless! I’ve seen some examples of older styles like this in my eBay travels and they were much more clunky. I can see why you love this so much. So happy for you!

Your set is so lovely. It's great that you now can wear it without the rings spinning.

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP