shape
carat
color
clarity

Finding a decent small princess (<0.5)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gridstop

Rough_Rock
I''ve been lurking for a few days reading as much as I can and everything that shows up with a search for ''princess'' but I''m having some trouble.

I''m looking for a princess cut (she''s 100% set on princess) in the 0.25-0.40 range. I have a very nice local jeweler where I''ll get the setting and have it placed (looking at around $300 for a simple band w/ setting charge). My budget is about $500 more for a stone. Obviously I can''t get anything in that range at a B&M store. I could go to maybe $600 if I was SURE it would have a really nice cut.

Everyone says that''s there''s no way to know how a princess will look based on what''s available in a GIA report or the like, so you have to go with places like whiteflash, or good old gold. The problem is they simply don''t deal with stones this small in-store. So you''re still talking virtual inventory and GIA-reports only.

The only place that seems to offer any kind of extra rating on small princess is Blue Nile''s Signature stuff, but they don''t SEEM to follow the general rules about smaller tables 70. But at least their ''extra'' reports for whatever it''s worth does show cathedral height. I don''t expect to luck upon a top 5 percentile princess or anything, but I want at least decent light performance. I''d certainly compromise on color or clarity since princess don''t show them so much.

Is my best bet just trying out a Blue Nile signature and returning it if I''m not impressed?

Have you called WF or GOG? I ask because I am willing to bet that they deal with princess stones this size quite often for sidestones and earrings...worth a call if you haven''t already.

^ditto to what NF had to say

Did find this in your price range, looks nice,maybe a princess expert could chime in give you some advice and let you know if its good or not?

Other that that stone, http://www.whiteflash.com/princess/Princess-cut-diamond-1204594.htm# this is over budget but it would be a nice princess.

EDIT: Found this too, also over budget but i coul be a nice one for you

Thanks guys. I''ll try calling them tomorrow.

Are the plain gem photos on something like jamesallen usefull at all? IE can you gather any kind of info from them?

you could get idealscope from them

Date: 11/30/2008 9:18:43 PM
Author: gridstop
Thanks guys. I''ll try calling them tomorrow.

Are the plain gem photos on something like jamesallen usefull at all? IE can you gather any kind of info from them?

Not particularly except to see the pattern. But they are better than nothing. Ideally you would want an ASET image.

why are you trying to find a small princess?

Date: 11/30/2008 10:17:46 PM
Author: JulieN
why are you trying to find a small princess?

Considering he was mentioning ring settings I am assuming an engagement ring?

neatfreak, I meant, why was he trying to find a small stone. Sorry, I guess I wasn''t reading carefully, as he said his budget is 600 for the stone.

Nice pics, MrsW!

Hey thanks, Julie.

I really didn''t think it''d be possible to get an actual AGS-0 princess in my pricerange, is all. Or if so, only at like 0.25. Those ExcelDiamonds ones seem fantastic.

You sure can. The previous AGS 0 stones called in by Excel for PS posters have been nice.

Date: 12/1/2008 12:51:33 AM
Author: JulieN
You sure can. The previous AGS 0 stones called in by Excel for PS posters have been nice.
Ditto!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP