shape
carat
color
clarity

First post - help me pick :)

skeebinz

Rough_Rock
Hey All,

Been lurking here for the past few months trying to make a decision on a diamond for an e-ring.

Narrowed it down to these 2 for now, just want to get your thoughts. Do I go w/ the bigger 1.54 G VS1 or the 1.43 F VVS2? Both come out to be similar HCA scores (1.3 / 1.4) but stone algo has a big cut score difference (not sure if that even really matters) - they are both Whiteflash ACA's.

Will I notice any less fire with the 1.54? They both seem to be cut very similarly...maybe some seasoned vets can see something in the ASET or Idealscope I can't see?

Check them out:

1.54 G VS1:

1.43 F VVS2:

Thanks for your thoughts!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here they are in a comparison. Click on the diamond video then once they come up click on them again to start them rotating.
(it shows the fire videos side-by-side for comparison)

The G is almost* .2mm bigger than the F. The standard around Pricescope is that we can usually notice the size difference
at .2mm. Here is a relative size difference on a size 5 finger/2mm shank. The G faces up about 6% bigger than the F.
You can use this tool if you want to change the finger size or play with it.

https://www.diamdb.com/

Screenshot 2024-05-28 180048.png

So, to answer your question, no, you usually won't see a big difference in fire and I'm not seeing any big difference with
these 2 stones. My preference would be the G. I'm not color-sensitive and can see the size difference more than the
color. If we were talking about an F and a J, my answer would be different.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Given the specs (both good color and clarity) and the price, most would go with the larger, less expensive diamond.

skeebinz

Rough_Rock
I guess I am just surprised at the price gap for what looks to be solely based on 1 grade of color and 1 grade of clarity, wasn't sure if I was missing something else.

With that said, should I consider this as well?

or this, even bigger (starting to go down lower in color...plan on putting this in a platinum setting)

The cuts are all almost identical

Last edited:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are all beautifully cut. Do you have a budget limit, a color or clarity preference? Some folks prefer the largest size possible, some the best color and others are clarity sensitive. Which is most important to you?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would go with the biggest one! Unless you or your family or the wearers family have cultural values about colourless diamonds? I think I Color is plenty bright and white.

skeebinz

Rough_Rock
They are all beautifully cut. Do you have a budget limit, a color or clarity preference? Some folks prefer the largest size possible, some the best color and others are clarity sensitive. Which is most important to you?

Cut #1, then size / eye clean...I went to check out G-J color in a store and I personally couldn't tell too much of a difference. Budget under 20k w/ setting.

I appreciate everyone's help :)

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cut #1, then size / eye clean...I went to check out G-J color in a store and I personally couldn't tell too much of a difference. Budget under 20k w/ setting.

I appreciate everyone's help :)

Choose your top favorites and ask Whiteflash to put them in a side by side comparison for you. They are very accommodating and will be happy to help you choose the perfect diamond for you!

crbl999

Brilliant_Rock
I guess I am just surprised at the price gap for what looks to be solely based on 1 grade of color and 1 grade of clarity, wasn't sure if I was missing something else.

With that said, should I consider this as well?

or this, even bigger (starting to go down lower in color...plan on putting this in a platinum setting)

The cuts are all almost identical

I'm color sensitive, but wouldn't exclude a G depending on budget. If the 1.66 F VS2 is in budget I think it is a great value compared to the 1.43 F VVS2. Not paying up for higher clarity, huge bump in size, and the same color grade.

If you're not color sensitive the 1.54 G VS1 is an excellent choice for the price.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recently compared a WF ACA H with a WF ACA K (about the same size). Here is what I learned. From the top view, it's very difficult
to tell a big color difference. They return so much light that it's hard to see the tint although I do think the tint would be more
noticeable in certain lighting. I just couldn't find that lighting around my house.

However, when looking at the stones at an angle or through the side view I could fairly easily see the difference in tint. The
H was not a big enough of a color difference to make me want to stay at the same size and move up in color (this was quite
shocking to me). I've decided to stay in the K range (for my budget).

So, after all that, I suggest going with the 1.66 F. I would gladly trade up in size and still be able to stay at an eye-clean VS2.

With respect to the bigger "I", not "bigger" enough to give up the F color.

My 2 cents

Edit Diddo @MissGotRocks Ask for side by side pictures

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the 1.66 is eye-clean to your standards, it gets my vote.

skeebinz

Rough_Rock
Decided to go w/ the 1.54 G VS1 since WF said the black inclusion is visible from 6in.

In reality, she / no one would likely see it, but I am set on it being "mind clean" with myself and it did come out to be $2,250 less expensive.

Bruin Bling

Rough_Rock
I think you made the right choice! Echoing others... the G option is a bigger stone, good clarity, G will still look pretty white, and is cheaper to boot. :clap:

crbl999

Brilliant_Rock
Decided to go w/ the 1.54 G VS1 since WF said the black inclusion is visible from 6in.

In reality, she / no one would likely see it, but I am set on it being "mind clean" with myself and it did come out to be $2,250 less expensive.

Good choice. I would have avoided the visible black inclusion as well. I totally understand the need for "mind clean".

What setting are you going with?

crbl999

Brilliant_Rock
Vatche U-113 w/ "petite" tiffany-like tab prongs, medium set.

she has a size 4.25 finger, can't wait for it to arrive!

Excellent choice! I also went with the U113 for my fiancée. We love the simple and elegant look of it. It really makes the diamond stand out! We also went with the Vatche matching band. We strongly considered the .17 ct channel set Tiffany band. That will make a nice anniversary gift.

diamonds27

Rough_Rock
Hey All,

Been lurking here for the past few months trying to make a decision on a diamond for an e-ring.

Narrowed it down to these 2 for now, just want to get your thoughts. Do I go w/ the bigger 1.54 G VS1 or the 1.43 F VVS2? Both come out to be similar HCA scores (1.3 / 1.4) but stone algo has a big cut score difference (not sure if that even really matters) - they are both Whiteflash ACA's.

Will I notice any less fire with the 1.54? They both seem to be cut very similarly...maybe some seasoned vets can see something in the ASET or Idealscope I can't see?

Check them out:

1.54 G VS1:

1.43 F VVS2:

Thanks for your thoughts!

Hey, you should check out this new site, www.yourdiamondguys.com. It’s got this cool AI that scans for inclusions and weeds out the bad ones, so you only see the best diamonds with nice imperfections. Plus, there’s tons of info on there to help you out.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results