shape
carat
color
clarity

Flokati rug & pets??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yippeee, the new floors were installed today in the dining & living rooms (pergo). Now we need something to soften the living room and I had my heart set on a flokati rug -- pure wool. I''m thinking a 9 x 12 should do it. Does anyone have a flokati & pets? Need to know if stains are easy to remove and haven''t been able to find out much about that via the internet.

flokati.jpg

cellososweet

Brilliant_Rock
ehhhh. . . i had one. loved it too. they are kinda hard to get stains out of, as each individual thread is pretty long and getting deep down in there requires some patience. we had to get rid of ours because our oriental had a UTI and pee''d on it. I washed it as much as possible, but they all found the spot (we have three cats) and eventually thought it would be nice to puke there. charming. and my cats usually don''t pee/vomit anywhere. we have a whole house full of hardwood though, and the flotaki was the first thing they''d go for. just my experience.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
I have one in my living room. It''s smaller than what you are considering. Mine is 5X7. It''s one of the deeper pile versions of the flokati...probably 3-4" thick from the floor. I have 2 cats. They do like to puke on it...can''t figure out why. The good news is the wool repells things so stuff doesn''t tend to get really imbedded in it. I do find that it collects dust, leaves or little particles. Since you can''t vacuum them, you have to take them outside and shake the rug really hard. I can just barely do it with my 5X7 rug so I would imagine shaking the dirt out would be a 2 person job for a rug the size you are considering.

I do like that I can throw mine in my washing machine with Wool-lite. It takes a lot of times through the washer on the rinse cycle to get the soap out but it works pretty well. Drying takes days since it can''t be put in the dryer. You will definitely need to hit the laundry mat for an industrial size washer occassionally.

Other than that, I really love flokati rug. It makes my living room seem very soft and cozy. My son loves to throw a blanket over it and lay on it while watching TV (they are a little itchy to just lay on without the blanket.)

I bought my off ebay about 6 years ago but the place I bought it has a regular website: hollywoodloverugs.com My rug was the 4.0 Kilo per square meter variety.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, ladies. I was trying to deny what my subconscious would not let me, which is that the rug will be a barf magnet for the cats. Especially since I have ripped all the carpeting out of the house except for the bedrooms. I know that the few carpeted areas we have left will be targets for the cats. I''m still considering the flokati but will chat with my decorator about options.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have to ditto the fact that flokati rugs are puke magnets for cats! I have one and although my cats don''t throw up very often, when they do, you can guess where it''s going to be! I have a 5x7 also and it''s actually the ONLY rug in my house except for the bathmat! Why throw up on the hundreds of square feet of hardwood floor when you can throw up on the one rug in the house?! Ahhh cats...gotta love ''em!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/20/2007 6:06:35 PM
Author: thing2of2
I have to ditto the fact that flokati rugs are puke magnets for cats! I have one and although my cats don''t throw up very often, when they do, you can guess where it''s going to be! I have a 5x7 also and it''s actually the ONLY rug in my house except for the bathmat! Why throw up on the hundreds of square feet of hardwood floor when you can throw up on the one rug in the house?! Ahhh cats...gotta love ''em!
Hmmmmm, your comment got me thinking about trying to outwit the felines (I know, I know, you''re thinking I''m going to be gulping down a big hunk of humble pie
9.gif
) but...I can buy a small flokati and use it as a lure, place it near a scratching post or scatter catnip on it, in an attempt to direct the barfing on something that will fit in the washing machine. Mine rarely barf also but I get the feeling they''ve been storing up waiting for the new furniture to arrive. They have these weird christening rituals
20.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/20/2007 7:32:15 PM
Author: Matata
Date: 11/20/2007 6:06:35 PM
Author: thing2of2

Hmmmmm, your comment got me thinking about trying to outwit the felines (I know, I know, you''re thinking I''m going to be gulping down a big hunk of humble pie
9.gif
) but...I can buy a small flokati and use it as a lure, place it near a scratching post or scatter catnip on it, in an attempt to direct the barfing on something that will fit in the washing machine. Mine rarely barf also but I get the feeling they''ve been storing up waiting for the new furniture to arrive. They have these weird christening rituals
20.gif

Hahaha! Christening rituals is right! That''s actually not a bad idea about the lure flokati...if you do that, please report back about how successful you were! I''m going to keep that idea in mind!

greekgirl1970

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/19/2007 9:49:31 PM
Author:Matata
Yippeee, the new floors were installed today in the dining & living rooms (pergo). Now we need something to soften the living room and I had my heart set on a flokati rug -- pure wool. I''m thinking a 9 x 12 should do it. Does anyone have a flokati & pets? Need to know if stains are easy to remove and haven''t been able to find out much about that via the internet.
Hi, there is some flokati rug cleaning tips available on the internet here. They do not mention pets, but general cleaning tips.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results