shape
carat
color
clarity

Forgive my ignorance but…

DreamingOfDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Is an IGI certificate legitimate or should I just stick with GIA?

IGI is legitimate as in it’s a well established lab, so they won’t mistake a lab grown diamond as a natural, for example, or miss out on if a diamond is enhanced in any way. In fact, they are the lab of choice when certing lab grown stones, but GIA is still preferred for natural stones. IGI have a huge presence in Asia at least, but general perception (I’m unsure how true) is that they can be a bit softer on colour/clarity as compared to GIA (not as egregious as EGL, but a difference of 1-2 grades is possible). Natural IGI stones usually trade at a bit of a discount to their GIA equivalents, but an IGI cert is not an automatic death sentence and can present good value depending on how a GIA stone of reduced colour/clarity is priced relative to the IGI stone in question; and how colour/clarity sensitive the wearer is.

freddyboston

Rough_Rock
here's an example of the color grade and price difference... IGI v GIA
1719141370199.png
1719141311001.png

DreamingOfDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
The main difference I see is the color & pricing?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes that is the difference. But it is not the case that GIA "costs more". IGI uses a different scale for grading color and rates more tinted stones higher in color. This usually makes the consumer think they are getting a deal. They are not.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes that is the difference. But it is not the case that GIA "costs more". IGI uses a different scale for grading color and rates more tinted stones higher in color. This usually makes the consumer think they are getting a deal. They are not.

This

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results