shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA certification for color shift in diamonds?

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
I don’t want to hijack @ilovegemstones thread on the pre-loved forum for a color change sapphire but I noticed from the thread that GIA put in its sapphire origin report that the sapphire’s color is “blue-violet changing to purple.”

Thread 'GIA Certified Colour Change No Heat Ceylon Sapphire 2.47 Ct Art Deco Platinum Ring'
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...pphire-2-47-ct-art-deco-platinum-ring.282851/

Does GIA do the same thing for diamonds? If GIA does do it, is it worth submitting the below diamond? I understand that it’s normal for colored diamonds to shift a little and to wash out, but this diamond is cray.

IMG_0583.jpeg

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t want to hijack @ilovegemstones thread on the pre-loved forum for a color change sapphire but I noticed from the thread that GIA put in its sapphire origin report that the sapphire’s color is “blue-violet changing to purple.”

Thread 'GIA Certified Colour Change No Heat Ceylon Sapphire 2.47 Ct Art Deco Platinum Ring'
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...pphire-2-47-ct-art-deco-platinum-ring.282851/

Does GIA do the same thing for diamonds? If GIA does do it, is it worth submitting the below diamond? I understand that it’s normal for colored diamonds to shift a little and to wash out, but this diamond is cray.

IMG_0583.jpeg

I hope you are off crutches now! What a beautiful phenomenal stone!

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
I hope you are off crutches now! What a beautiful phenomenal stone!

Thanks! I picked the name back when I was lying around after knee surgery and had nothing to do except browse internet message boards. :lol:

Re the diamond…. Thanks, GIA calls it dark brown pink and most of the color shift is maroon to-burgundy, which is cool but probably normal. But it’s the far ends of the shift that are so awesome. I know sometimes people get overly excited when their pink diamond looks a little red but it’s the dark blue-purple that stands out. It’s maybe 15-20% of the time, under bright white light and sometimes sunshine, but I swear it is not imaginary. Maybe get one of those lights that can change wavelengths and see if I can consistently replicate the blue-purple under controlled conditions.

IMG_2508.jpeg IMG_1202.jpeg

This is a really interesting question! I don't believe I've ever seen color-change/shift properties listed on a GIA diamond report. But if any stone deserved the comment, it would be this one. Stunning! Is it treated at all? The color is so deep. :love:

toomuchB

Shiny_Rock
The 'Supreme Purple Star Diamond' supposedly changes color (whether based on angle, zoning or lighting - who knows - or maybe its just a myth). Its the closest thing to your stone that popped into my head.

I've never seen a GIA FCD report that lists more than one color grade as they do with shifty gemstones. Even chameleon diamonds get one color grading.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
This is a really interesting question! I don't believe I've ever seen color-change/shift properties listed on a GIA diamond report. But if any stone deserved the comment, it would be this one. Stunning! Is it treated at all? The color is so deep. :love:

Thanks! No treatment that I know of. I bought it from Leibish and the gia report says natural color.

I've never seen anything like this! What an awesome stone!

Thanks! Me neither but that’s not saying much. :lol: I have a color shift blue-purple sapphire and I used to have a color change teal-purple garnet. This diamond shifts more than my sapphire but not as much as my beloved lost garnet.

The 'Supreme Purple Star Diamond' supposedly changes color (whether based on angle, zoning or lighting - who knows - or maybe it’s just a myth). It’s the closest thing to your stone that popped into my head.

I've never seen a GIA FCD report that lists more than one color grade as they do with shifty gemstones. Even chameleon diamonds get one color grading.

Cool article. I don’t have an incredibly rare Fancy Purple Star! :lol: Leibish knows what they’re doing and they would not have sold this diamond cheaply if it were that rare.

But I still think the diamond is neat. It does change a bit with the lighting angle.

420F4A36-814F-4F60-B99C-014034134853.jpeg

I’m just enamored with the goth purple, even if it’s only a trick of the light. And I’ll never own a real half-carat red diamond. But I can pretend I have a red diamond when I go to IHOP and a deep purple when I’m in my car. :bigsmile:

6D5B06CA-3FEB-41AA-ACDF-B8005B0EBD3B.jpeg

There’s only one photo of the Fancy Purple Star that I could find. Even though mine isn’t as cool as the one in the article, I noticed a few similarities that might explain why mine is on the shiftier side. They both have patches of different colors and they both have grainings at 90 degree angles.

IMG_1739.jpeg

IMG_0204.jpeg

IMG_0588.jpeg

The 90 degree angle graining might explain the shifting based on angle of light, kind of like polarized sunglasses. Mine goes matte black in some directions. This photo is literally just turning around 180 degrees.

4C57E89D-D925-47EA-B8C5-CCA064FDBBCA.jpeg

Anyway, thanks for geeking out with me!

Thanks! No treatment that I know of. I bought it from Leibish and the gia report says natural color.

Thanks! Me neither but that’s not saying much. :lol: I have a color shift blue-purple sapphire and I used to have a color change teal-purple garnet. This diamond shifts more than my sapphire but not as much as my beloved lost garnet.

Cool article. I don’t have an incredibly rare Fancy Purple Star! :lol: Leibish knows what they’re doing and they would not have sold this diamond cheaply if it were that rare.

But I still think the diamond is neat. It does change a bit with the lighting angle.

420F4A36-814F-4F60-B99C-014034134853.jpeg

I’m just enamored with the goth purple, even if it’s only a trick of the light. And I’ll never own a real half-carat red diamond. But I can pretend I have a red diamond when I go to IHOP and a deep purple when I’m in my car. :bigsmile:

6D5B06CA-3FEB-41AA-ACDF-B8005B0EBD3B.jpeg

There’s only one photo of the Fancy Purple Star that I could find. Even though mine isn’t as cool as the one in the article, I noticed a few similarities that might explain why mine is on the shiftier side. They both have patches of different colors and they both have grainings at 90 degree angles.

IMG_1739.jpeg

IMG_0204.jpeg

IMG_0588.jpeg

The 90 degree angle graining might explain the shifting based on angle of light, kind of like polarized sunglasses. Mine goes matte black in some directions. This photo is literally just turning around 180 degrees.

4C57E89D-D925-47EA-B8C5-CCA064FDBBCA.jpeg

Anyway, thanks for geeking out with me!

Untreated with that depth of color, and purple to boot? This is a very special stone!

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Untreated with that depth of color, and purple to boot? This is a very special stone!

Definitely a case of report vs. beauty dysphoria!

IMG_0587.jpeg
IMG_0588.jpeg

Here’s a glamour shot that is probably the lightest I’ve seen it.

IMG_1976.jpeg

I remember opening the FedEx box and thinking, “They really weren’t kidding when they said dark.”

IMG_1828.jpeg

Then I took it out of the box and it totally lit up.

IMG_1824.jpeg

Now I have seventy-five million photos of this diamond.

IMG_1118.jpeg

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Does it have any fluorescence? The strong fluorescence combined with internal graining in my fancy yellow and fancy light pinkish brown make the colors shift a lot in different lighting.

Nope! Good idea, though.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

IMG_0583.jpeg

This is fantastic and divine. Can you tell us your thoughts going into purchasing this (were you looking for a color diamond?).

Did Leibish call it a purple diamond? It’s out of this world color shifting.

And can you tell us about the setting, which is perfect.

Last edited:

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
This is fantastic and divine. Can you tell us your thoughts going into purchasing this (were you looking for a color diamond?).

Did Leibish call it a purple diamond? It’s out of this world color shifting.

And can you tell us about the setting, which is perfect.

Thanks! GIA and Leibish both called it dark brown-pink.

I wasn’t really looking for a color diamond so much as I was scrolling around for unusual stones in general and looking through Leibish at dark color diamonds. This one stood out because although there are a lot of brown-pink diamonds that look a little purple, this one looked downright burgundy. Its half-carat size meant it didn’t need a fancy setting to make it look bigger and the dark color meant it would not need a cup or an opposite-color halo. The stone was 10-20% of the price of a deep purple pink so I took a chance. Now I have a stone that sometimes looks brown pink but a lot of the time looks purple pink, looks reliably red in yellow-ish light, on occasion looks wicked dark-purple, and goes completely matte black in certain light at certain angles. It might not be worth much money but it is awesome from a rock collection point of view.

The setting is based on a ring from my grandma, and made by David Klass. IMHO the stone might look even more purple in a white metal setting but I wanted to have something like grandma’s ring.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results