shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA Excellent versus AGS Ideal H & A

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sbraith

Rough_Rock
So I''m looking for a bit of advice. I''ve been lurking and learning for the last month and have narrowed down to just a few choices. I''m not asking anyone to choose a stone for me, I''m just trying to figure out what sort of value I''d get out of either stone.

I''m comparing two stones from diferent vendors, both F VS2''s. One is an AGS Ideal Hearts and Arrows 82 pointer and the other is a GIA excellent 86 pointer with excellent symmetry and polish. Both come with low scores (well under 2) on the cut advisor. The GIA stone falls within the AGS Ideal range on the Holloway cut advisor as well. The smaller H&A is a few hundred dollars more expensive.

So here is my question: do AGS Ideal Hearts and Arrows as a rule perform better than GIA excellents? The AGS Ideal and Hearts and Arrows tags certainly sound seductive, but does the premium price buy a better looking diamond?

Thanks

Date: 11/30/2008 10:07:38 PM
Author:sbraith
So here is my question: do AGS Ideal Hearts and Arrows as a rule perform better than GIA excellents? The AGS Ideal and Hearts and Arrows tags certainly sound seductive, but does the premium price buy a better looking diamond?

Thanks

Not always. GIA excellents have a wide range, they can be crappy or they can be just as gorgeous as an AGS Ideal stone. AGS Ideal just has a smaller variance, so it''s easier to find a winner with an AGS Ideal. If you''ve seen the GIA excellent, it scores under 2 on the HCA, and has good numbers it is very possible that it''s a winner as well!

Thanks for the reply. You''ve answered my question succinctly.

As for the current GIA I''m looking at, the depth seems very high (62.2). As I understand it, that will have the biggest impact on spread rather than light return, right? I''ve read threads here that argue the point both ways, so I''m a bit uncertain.

Date: 11/30/2008 11:25:47 PM
Author: sbraith
Thanks for the reply. You''ve answered my question succinctly.

As for the current GIA I''m looking at, the depth seems very high (62.2). As I understand it, that will have the biggest impact on spread rather than light return, right? I''ve read threads here that argue the point both ways, so I''m a bit uncertain.

It isn''t too deep (too deep is over 62.4 or 62.6 if everything else is right). I wouldn''t worry if all the other specs work with that depth.

I have learned that the H&A cut performs from my own experience better in low lighting. The reason....the facets are tighter and working as groups to reflect the little light available. The colors seem bolder too....and every facet seems to be doing something positive... Does one diamond have an upgrade policy or do they both? If for a couple hundred dollars more you get an upgrade policy and it does not take you over budget I would jump on that.....

Date: 11/30/2008 10:14:36 PM
Author: neatfreak

Thanks

Not always. GIA excellents have a wide range, they can be crappy or they can be just as gorgeous as an AGS Ideal stone. AGS Ideal just has a smaller variance, so it''s easier to find a winner with an AGS Ideal. If you''ve seen the GIA excellent, it scores under 2 on the HCA, and has good numbers it is very possible that it''s a winner as well!
Well said Miss Neat!

Date: 12/1/2008 2:38:17 AM
Author: Lorelei

Date: 11/30/2008 10:14:36 PM
Author: neatfreak

Thanks

Well said Miss Neat!
I agree. And I also ditto that the depth is not too deep.

Thank you all so much for the advice.

Date: 12/1/2008 9:44:39 PM
Author: sbraith
Thank you all so much for the advice.
You are very welcome and thank you!
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP