shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA President resigns

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
At a special meeting at 4:00 today. Bill Boyajian’s statement of resignation was read. His resignation will be effective July 31st. Donna Baker will take over as president.

what was the reason for resignation?

Is anyone familiar with Donna Baker? Will this mean any changes for the GIA?

Date: 5/22/2006 9:09:45 PM
Author: Mara
I presume it was certifigate?

Very sad - because it now seems the so called missgraded 100ct stone was not missgraded.

I always found Bill to be very effective and on the ball.

Date: 5/22/2006 9:26:45 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

Very sad - because it now seems the so called missgraded 100ct stone was not missgraded.

Oh no!! What a shame, what do you know about Donna Baker??

link to info on it not being misgraded?
Think I missed something.

Chaim''s Memo 2 weeks ago at idexonline.com - I dont know how to link that site?

Date: 5/22/2006 11:58:35 PM
Chaim's Memo 2 weeks ago at idexonline.com - I dont know how to link that site?
1. Go to http://www.idexonline.com/
2. Pull down NEWS, select Search News & Archives
3. Type Money for nothing in the keyword box, select Exact Phrase as the match and hit Search

Edited to add: I am a tortoise. Strm & Belle are hares... I'll have to nick 'em at the finish line when they go to sleep.

"Donna Baker, who has been serving as Vice President and General Counsel, was promoted to Senior Vice President and General Counsel. She will continue to oversee GIA's corporate operations and will be responsible with Scholl for reporting to the Institute's Board of Governors on corporate compliance issues"

http://diamondintelligence.com/magazine/magazine.asp?id=3104

imho the last thing they should have done is appointed another insider as president.
They should have brought someone in from outside and have them shake things up.

Date: 5/23/2006 12:38:41 AM
Author: strmrdr
''Donna Baker, who has been serving as Vice President and General Counsel, was promoted to Senior Vice President and General Counsel. She will continue to oversee GIA''s corporate operations and will be responsible with Scholl for reporting to the Institute''s Board of Governors on corporate compliance issues''

imho the last thing they should have done is appointed another insider as president.
They should have brought someone in from outside and has them shake things up.
I nominate Rich Sherwood.

Date: 5/23/2006 12:40:11 AM
Author: JohnQuixote
No wait. Marty.

Good idea :}
talk about a shake up, more like an earthquake.

Date: 5/23/2006 12:39:46 AM
Date: 5/23/2006 12:38:41 AM

''Donna Baker, who has been serving as Vice President and General Counsel, was promoted to Senior Vice President and General Counsel. She will continue to oversee GIA''s corporate operations and will be responsible with Scholl for reporting to the Institute''s Board of Governors on corporate compliance issues''

They should have brought someone in from outside and has them shake things up.

I nominate Rich Sherwood.

Seconded.

But after investigations, they still concluded that there was bribery!!!!!

you know the saying: there is no smoke without fire!!!

Date: 5/23/2006 3:42:44 AM
Author: DiaGem

It was smoldering for a long time...

Next will be for the lab to loose their 501-3c status, retroactively!!!!!!

The emphasis should be on education, not printing paper and whimsically changing and loosening standards to sell more paper and keep elements of the trade happy.

Ask questions:
Like why was there never student housing built when they moved to Carldbad..
Why did they cancel long time classes in Boston...
Why do the overworked road show instructors quit left and right..
Why is everthing they do proprietary when it is supposed to be a non profit educational institution
What is different between what they practice in the lab and what they taught..

Why do GIA employees have duct taped mouths and can''t speak their own mind when they know things are wrong..

Quite different from freedom in other educational institutions..

Maybe things will open up and when additional housecleaning is done, there will be more happy campers over in Carlsbad

Have to hand it to Billy Bob, though, he made it a money making operation, and certainly feathered his own nest and lived high on the hog, but undeserved rank has its priviledge and its own rules..

Date: 5/23/2006 5:54:49 AM
Author: adamasgem

Date: 5/23/2006 3:42:44 AM
Author: DiaGem

It was smoldering for a long time...

Next will be for the lab to loose their 501-3c status, retroactively!!!!!!

The emphasis should be on education, not printing paper and whimsically changing and loosening standards to sell more paper and keep elements of the trade happy.

Ask questions:
Like why was there never student housing built when they moved to Carldbad.. i guess, education for the rich...
Why did they cancel long time classes in Boston... not big enough a trade center???
Why do the overworked road show instructors quit left and right..
Why is everthing they do proprietary when it is supposed to be a non profit educational institution non-profit... (its a joke.)
What is different between what they practice in the lab and what they taught..

Why do GIA employees have duct taped mouths and can''t speak their own mind when they know things are wrong.. i guess everything GIA does is ethical and right...

Quite different from freedom in other educational institutions.. Freedom at the GIA??? they market themselves as the #1 authority in Labs, no?

Maybe things will open up and when additional housecleaning is done, there will be more happy campers over in Carlsbad Its going to take a LOT of time cleaning up the barn.

Have to hand it to Billy Bob, though, he made it a money making operation, and certainly feathered his own nest and lived high on the hog, but undeserved rank has its priviledge and its own rules.. So much for "non profit!!!!"

Twelve years and millions of dollars on a cut grade system that isn''t even close to being a standard?

I can''t imagine many problems in business this small that couldn''t have been solved with less time and money.

I met Bill in his office a few years ago for about an hour meeting regarding my scoring system. I thought that it was interesting how he got where he did from where he came from.

While I found him polite but arrogant and uncollaborative, I wish him well in retirement. I hope the new regime is able to take their laboratory diamond grading to a level that is demanded by the market place, and to live up to the responsibilty they''ve taken on by perfmorming diamond grading.

Bill

I would also like to see GIA return to a stronger and better emphasis on education.
I''ve always felt that GIA was the leader in our industry but now it seems that they will need to earn our trust to regain our confidence.
New leadership is a step in the right direction.
We shouldn''t forget all the positive strides that GIA has made over the decades and there is so much more to be achieved in the future. Upward and onward!

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

Date: 5/23/2006 8:49:08 AM
Author: Modified Brilliant
I would also like to see GIA return to a stronger and better emphasis on education.
I''ve always felt that GIA was the leader in our industry but now it seems that they will need to earn our trust to regain our confidence.
We shouldn''t forget all the positive strides that GIA has made over the decades and there is so much more to be achieved in the future. Upward and onward!

exactly.
upward and onward!

Date: 5/23/2006 8:49:08 AM
Author: Modified Brilliant

Only a step, there is much more work to be done!!!!

The damage has been done, ist going to take a long, long time to recover.....

Marty, my apologies if I stoked a fire. I was being lighthearted with a situation that is sensitive to people close to it.

I don’t know Mr. Boyajian. Things that have happened on his watch are unfortunate, but there are different sides to stories. With similar departures/shifts from Peter Meeus and ranking members of HRD not long ago the pressure & politics in these positions must be enormous. I don’t envy them their decisions.

I would like to see GIA again become the place that built a reputation as the most respected gemological research and learning organization on earth. I knew of the late Dennis Foltz for his Congressional appearance on education in the 90s. His initiatives at GIA, including virtual campus & distance education, are the kind of forward-thinking that made them a giant among peers. Such talent is still onboard (Al Gilbertson comes to mind). Maybe this change will open doors for sharper initiatives from educators and scientists - less burdened by politics.

I’m not defending what occurred. Currently I feel there are issues with the new cut grading system that must be communicated and addressed - but that doesn’t mean I fail to appreciate the rich history that built the organization.

If the decades of integrity GIA enjoyed before recent troubles mean something, the ship can right itself in time. Though regrettable in principal, this change represents opportunity.

Date: 5/23/2006 11:29:54 AM

Marty, my apologies if I stoked a fire. I was being lighthearted with a situation that is sensitive to people close to it.

No apologies needed. Just found it the time to put the record straight about Mr GIA. He is an insult to to those who went before him.

I don’t know Mr. Boyajian. I did, and have never been impressed. Good glad-hander, but nothing more, I guess.

Date: 5/23/2006 12:43:21 AM

Date: 5/23/2006 12:40:11 AM
No wait. Marty.

Good idea :}
talk about a shake up, more like an earthquake.

Not Hardly Storm.....

Marty would be a lot closer to A TURBO TSUNAMI !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rockdoc

Date: 5/23/2006 4:16:34 PM
Author: RockDoc

Not Hardly Storm.....

Marty would be a lot closer to A TURBO TSUNAMI !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rockdoc

Actually, it would be more akin to tossing a hand grenade into the kerosene filled room in which we store our nuclear materials and composite C4, with inserted detonators.

Having said as much, if you would wait long enough for me to grab my hotdogs, marshmallows, and a long stick, I would support the recommendation for Marty as well. Those with tinfoil wrapped kernels of popping corn are invited to the party.

Joe, reserected from the dead by Marty

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP