shape
carat
color
clarity

Girdle Question

ocean115412

Rough_Rock
Hope all is well with everyone! I discovered a problem around the girdle of this stone and I need help to fully identify it. Is this what you call bruting or bearding that's mainly found on the girdle? Please see image...Thank you!

bruted_girdle.jpg

Welcome to PS.. :wavey: Is that a real diamond? b/c the unfinished girdles that I have seen looks more frosty white.

Looks like a Ruby to me

Thank you for the warm welcome! I love this place and I am learning a lot from it. In addition, it’s prompting me to take a distance course with the GIA. Listen, this is from the Art Deco period. In my opinion, I believe that it’s a diamond. Whether or not it’s natural, I honestly do not know. Though as you said, it could be a ruby. Anyhow, I added two more close-up images that show the girdle. I hope this can further help identify what’s in the girdle based on the first image that I posted. One of the images show a nick inclusion at the girdle. I know how to identify a few inclusions but I can get very confused with some of them. Thanks!

girdle_image3.jpg

girdle_image2.jpg

I did some research and found the answer. I learned that some old time cutters would purposely cut a diamond with a bruted girdle to verify its natural. In addition, The Cutting/Bruting process could have been done too fast or too sloppy, causing the bearded girdle. In fact, this blemish cannot be seen under a 12X magnifying glass. Thanks!

I sincerely doubt that is a diamond. I'd get it checked - the value could vary greatly depending on what it is. Some red diamonds are naturally red (and are exceedingly rare and uber expensive), some are treated to make them red; but that doesn't look like diamond to me. If you are considering keeping this stone I'd get it's identity verified and an independent appraisal done for insurance purposes.

Thank you for the response. Do I believe it needs further examination? Yes. I intend to take gemology courses. I will research it more and more, then submit it to the laboratory for the final examination.

Thank you for all the responses.

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP