shape
carat
color
clarity

Going back to school in your mid 40s! Anyone?

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am actually in the middle of completing my Casper test to apply to medical school. This will be my second year trying.

Anyone returned to school full time later on in their life?

I still wonder if I am being realistic. Well first I need to be admitted. But then, not have income, being busy with studies for at least the next 6 years... Feels daunting! But I am at the peak of my professional career as an occupational therapist and I am not so keen on management, although that's my plan B.

Anyone been on a similar boat?

Share your experiences please!

I have not gone back to school in my 40s, but as a professor I have taught many mature students. There are always one or two students in their 40s in my undergraduate classes, and two of my current graduate students are in their 40s. I enjoy working with mature students. They know why they are in school and being wisdom and experience their younger peers have not earned yet. I think it’s absolutely worth going back to school in your 40s. I’m sure it’s difficult for all the obvious reasons. But the privilege of devoting yourself to full time learning is a privilege indeed, and life is too short not to pursue all your dreams even if the career you have after might be shorter than your peers’ careers might be.

I started my BA degree when I was 30. I worked full time and went to school part time so it took me 6 yrs to get the degree. I began my masters when I was 42, worked full time and went to school full time. The masters classes were evenings and weekends. It was tiring but I wanted both degrees and was willing to do whatever was necessary to get them.

For the BA, I was the oldest in most of the lower level courses and at first I felt like a fish out of water. However it didn't take long for me to realize that I had the advantage in life and work experience over the youngsters who were more focused on their social lives than their studies. I'm sure I annoyed them because my grades in all classes were so high it pulled the grading curve up and they had to work harder to get top grades if they wanted them.

The master's program was designed for working people who needed additional education to get promoted to administrative positions with their current employers or to become marketable to new employers. All of my cohort were in the same age bracket. It was daunting because we packed an entire term of coursework into 6 weeks and I often thought I might achieve the degree at the cost of my sanity. Nonetheless I'm happy I did it and would do it over again even knowing how difficult it could be at times.

Your age doesn't matter. You only live once so follow your bliss, achieve your dream, enjoy the ride.

Last edited:
@Matata work AND school full time? That's commitment! You did great and seemed to have worked so hard! You are an inspiration :)

@Dreamer_D yes. I definitely have more focus on what I want and have developed much working experience that I do think may be helpful.

I just.hope I can keep up with the younger crown...and I only mean academically.

I didn't return to school in my 40's but I can tell you that when I was in Law school there were several people (I think they were all women) who were in their late 30's and early 40's and they all were at the top of the classes. I always thought that they came back for a reason, weren't distracted by a social life, and also just had more life experience and general knowledge. So I think you are in a good position for what you want to do. Best of luck on that acceptance!

I work with some doctors in training, many of whom have had a life prior to medical school and they have clearly all coped with going back to studying. I think the actual college/university part of your plan will be ok. Have you given much thought to what happens after that, though? Residency can be gruelling and it may be much harder if you’re 50, plus there are postgrad exams to think about. I admire your dedication and wish you the very best but I’m worrying for you that your plan may be slightly unrealistic. (For clarity, I’m in the U.K. system, so things may be a lot different in the US. We also have a good pension scheme so people tend to retire 60-65, making the career length a bit shorter than in other countries).

We had a classmate who started with us when she was in her mid 40s. She had already raised her children and wanted to go back and do something challenging and rewarding so she picked our field. 4 years post graduate plus residency. She did not graduate until she was in her 50s and she passed the board exams (not easy at any age but especially as we get older IMO) and practiced for 25 years. She felt it was 100% worth all the angst, energy, hard work, money and studying. Unfortunately she died a few years ago but she had a good run. RIP Celeste

Good luck @fiona00004

@fiona00004 Whilst I don't have personal experience of this, I just wanted to say that I admire your dedication and wish you the best of luck!

I work with some doctors in training, many of whom have had a life prior to medical school and they have clearly all coped with going back to studying. I think the actual college/university part of your plan will be ok. Have you given much thought to what happens after that, though? Residency can be gruelling and it may be much harder if you’re 50, plus there are postgrad exams to think about. I admire your dedication and wish you the very best but I’m worrying for you that your plan may be slightly unrealistic. (For clarity, I’m in the U.K. system, so things may be a lot different in the US. We also have a good pension scheme so people tend to retire 60-65, making the career length a bit shorter than in other countries).

I was thinking the same, but it clearly can be done. And depending on your chosen specialty, the on-call schedule may be a bit lighter for some than others.

I think a lot of it depends on your current finances and the cost for you to complete medical school. I'm all for fulfilling your dreams and have one friend who went to medical school and became a resident at 51 years old.

I'm a do the math type of girl, cost versus benefits. If you are 40, you are looking at working for another 25 years. If you can recoup your student loan costs and make a good living than I am all for it.

I finished my undergrad in my upper thirties, and then went back and earned my MBA in my early forties. Totally worth it for me, changed the path of my life entirely. Now I'm in my early fifties and about to shift my life again, I just earned a certification that puts me on a different career path, one more suited to the life I want. You got this!

I have thought about going to college for just a few classes, I am terrible with finances and would love to learn how to actually invest and I also thought about taking some courses that teach Spanish...I will be 64 the end of this year...added bonus going to college at my age will keep my brain sharper!

Yeah, I was in my mid-40's when I received my J.D. and my Master's.

Because I've always been a "head down, take notes & study" kind of student, in one sense school in my 40s was no different than when I was in my early 20s finishing my B.S. Being a student and learning is a huge part of who I am as a human being, and I like the way knowledge expands my brain and my nature.

But as a 40+-year old, I was also working full-time and married, so the balancing act of work/school/marriage was a bit tricky at times.

Anyway, @fiona00004 I think you'll do great since it is something you want now, and something you've thought of a long time, and you seem to have realistic insight into the demands of med school.

If I were to give you advice, it would be prioritize sleep, nutrition, regular exercise and outdoor time. You need to stay as healthy as you can to sustain the pace and the stress.

If you have a partner/family, make sure they are on board and that they understand daily home life will be changing. Make a new plan for chores and meals before school starts, so everyone is used to the new routine before you start school.

I didn't return to school in my 40's but I can tell you that when I was in Law school there were several people (I think they were all women) who were in their late 30's and early 40's and they all were at the top of the classes. I always thought that they came back for a reason, weren't distracted by a social life, and also just had more life experience and general knowledge. So I think you are in a good position for what you want to do. Best of luck on that acceptance!

Thanks! I definitely know very much what I want going into this.

My kids are 12 and 14. If I get in,.I just hope I won't miss too much of being in their lives .

We had a classmate who started with us when she was in her mid 40s. She had already raised her children and wanted to go back and do something challenging and rewarding so she picked our field. 4 years post graduate plus residency. She did not graduate until she was in her 50s and she passed the board exams (not easy at any age but especially as we get older IMO) and practiced for 25 years. She felt it was 100% worth all the angst, energy, hard work, money and studying. Unfortunately she died a few years ago but she had a good run. RIP Celeste

Good luck @fiona00004

Awww! Wow! It sounded like she had a fruitful career !

So I am not looking into a specialty. Family medicine or geriatrics arey interest.

In Quebec, Canada. I don't have specifics, but yes. The schedules are intense from what I heard. By then, my kids will be several years older.

I don't know how I will feel by then. I only know how I feel now and I am up for the challenge.

I finished my undergrad in my upper thirties, and then went back and earned my MBA in my early forties. Totally worth it for me, changed the path of my life entirely. Now I'm in my early fifties and about to shift my life again, I just earned a certification that puts me on a different career path, one more suited to the life I want. You got this!

Love this! Not being afraid of change is what I feel can help people grow!!

Yeah, I was in my mid-40's when I received my J.D. and my Master's.

Because I've always been a "head down, take notes & study" kind of student, in one sense school in my 40s was no different than when I was in my early 20s finishing my B.S. Being a student and learning is a huge part of who I am as a human being, and I like the way knowledge expands my brain and my nature.

But as a 40+-year old, I was also working full-time and married, so the balancing act of work/school/marriage was a bit tricky at times.

Anyway, @fiona00004 I think you'll do great since it is something you want now, and something you've thought of a long time, and you seem to have realistic insight into the demands of med school.

If I were to give you advice, it would be prioritize sleep, nutrition, regular exercise and outdoor time. You need to stay as healthy as you can to sustain the pace and the stress.

If you have a partner/family, make sure they are on board and that they understand daily home life will be changing. Make a new plan for chores and meals before school starts, so everyone is used to the new routine before you start school.

I love your advice! It's totally in line with what's been on my mind!

I am actually in the middle of completing my Casper test to apply to medical school. This will be my second year trying.

I still wonder if I am being realistic. Well first I need to be admitted. But then, not have income, being busy with studies for at least the next 6 years... Feels daunting! But I am at the peak of my professional career as an occupational therapist and I am not so keen on management, although that's my plan B.

Anyone been on a similar boat?

Share your experiences please!

best of luck Fiona
life is short and we only get one go at it
listen to your heart, not just your head

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP