shape
carat
color
clarity

Gray spinel

nmk0102

Rough_Rock
My best friend’s boyfriend is asking for my help to find a very specific stone for an engagement ring.

My friend would like a dark gray spinel that is an elongated oval and about 3-4 carats (she wants it set north-south and would prefer minimum 10mm height).

I have never bought spinels myself before and hoping that I can have some suggestions as to vendors/stones.

Thanks!

Last edited:
This is the only one that I’ve found so far that matches most of her specs:

SPINGR10.4X7.3OV2_1_top.jpg

When it comes to dark gray spinel, a budget of $5-6k is more than enough. You need budget only $2k for the stone itself under 5ct. I like the ones from Finewater Gems.

Here's 1 and 2. You can also contact Gary to source something different. Mastercut Gems is another good vendor, although their stones typically aren't as good in the clarity aspect.

If you need for sure an oval cut, and that's non-negotiable, I would recommend you contact Dan Stair or Jeff White to cut the gray spinel. The rough is not expensive, so that's why a lot of vendors aren't carrying it.

The Brilliant Earth is overpriced, and nobody here would recommend them for a colored stone. There's another thread somewhere that details the bad experience, when they tried to return an emerald stone.

Here's another vendor that could get you some gray spinels. Aurelia Gems on Etsy; they have listed for example this gray spinel that's just gorgeous, if too large for my collection. They are the retail branch of Pala Gems, a gem wholesaler that's very well connected in the AGTA community.

Last edited:
When it comes to dark gray spinel, a budget of $5-6k is more than enough. You need budget only $2k for the stone itself under 5ct. I like the ones from Finewater Gems.

Here's 1 and 2. You can also contact Gary to source something different. Mastercut Gems is another good vendor, although their stones typically aren't as good in the clarity aspect.

If you need for sure an oval cut, and that's non-negotiable, I would recommend you contact Dan Stair or Jeff White to cut the gray spinel. The rough is not expensive, so that's why a lot of vendors aren't carrying it.

The Brilliant Earth is overpriced, and nobody here would recommend them for a colored stone. There's another thread somewhere that details the bad experience, when they tried to return an emerald stone.

Thank you! Yes she wants only an elongated oval so I think we will contact Dan Stair or Jeff White, as you mentioned. We will steer clear of Brilliant Earth.

Do not overpay for gray spinel. It shouldn’t be more than $200/ct. it used to be a throw way or inferior color, until for some reason, gray became popular.

eBay and instagram have a plethora of gray spinel.

I think there is a plethora of gray spinel, but the ones that are perfect clarity and precision cut are imho well worth a bit higher price premium for the sparklebomb factor.

@nmk0102 , please see my edited comments; Aurelia Gems might be able to get you a fine gray spinel in the right shape and size.

I actually think $200/ct us a fair price for a well cut, clean gray spinel. Normally a lower grade gray spinel is like $50/ct.

I think there is a plethora of gray spinel, but the ones that are perfect clarity and precision cut are imho well worth a bit higher price premium for the sparklebomb factor.

@nmk0102 , please see my edited comments; Aurelia Gems might be able to get you a fine gray spinel in the right shape and size.

Thank you again! I am liking this stone for my friend: https://www.etsy.com/listing/581671...e?ref=landingpage_similar_listing_top-2&frs=1

I will reach out to them.

I actually think $200/ct us a fair price for a well cut, clean gray spinel. Normally a lower grade gray spinel is like $50/ct.

These days because grey spinel is now "trendy" it is up to $500+ per carat but it is as much about paying for precision cutting as it is about the stone itself....

Make sure you/your friend/the boyfriend see photos in different lighting conditions. Most "gray" spinel shifts to a different color--I've seen shades of purple, green, and blue, mostly blue--in some lighting, so it's a good idea to make sure it's still an attractive color to the people who will be living with the stone.

Peter torraca of torraca.net has a few dark greys. They aren’t ovals but still elongated shapes. Not sure of the prices. Worth asking if he can cut one for your friend. I’ve ordered from him a few times, very friendly guy & great precision cutting.

also finewater gems is an option.

the gemstone project usually has grey spinels.

I like this one, except for the unfortunate bowtie as seen in the video. No idea about the vendor. Purplish modifier, egg shape, 3.2ct, 640 usd (or less as they accept offers). If nothing else, its a reference for price/value. :)Haven't checked but maybe they have others.

I like this one, except for the unfortunate bowtie as seen in the video. No idea about the vendor. Purplish modifier, egg shape, 3.2ct, 640 usd (or less as they accept offers). If nothing else, its a reference for price/value. :)Haven't checked but maybe they have others.

It’s eBay, so I would lowball by half price, and see what they come back with. The issue with that shape is that it will probably need a custom setting as opposed to a round or calibrated shape. At least it’s not ridiculously priced.

Make sure you/your friend/the boyfriend see photos in different lighting conditions. Most "gray" spinel shifts to a different color--I've seen shades of purple, green, and blue, mostly blue--in some lighting, so it's a good idea to make sure it's still an attractive color to the people who will be living with the stone.

True! This is a great tip - will keep it in mind!

Peter torraca of torraca.net has a few dark greys. They aren’t ovals but still elongated shapes. Not sure of the prices. Worth asking if he can cut one for your friend. I’ve ordered from him a few times, very friendly guy & great precision cutting.

also finewater gems is an option.

the gemstone project usually has grey spinels.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Very pretty! A bit more purple than she would like, but good to know the reference price/value. Thanks!

Oh, another tip: Watch out for darkness. Gray spinels can be very dark, and you can't always tell from photos, which may be lightened or taken in very strong light.

2601-3-gray_spinel.jpg.jpg
Its what I call a mid-grey spinel, which will not get too dark in certain lighting conditions. The seller IS using quite a bit of direct light in the image which for these types of stones I can understand. But I feel that it will not be too dark in most lighting conditions except maybe twilight. This is not a precison cut stone, but has a pretty reasonable cut on it. I would ask to see if you can get video (the angle of the window to me is not terrible but might be to others) Its because of the cut that I personally would not set this as a solitaire!

There's enough additional color here, that if they wanted to go with an unplated white gold, it would look fantastic. For sure this would be amazing in a diamond halo (hey just sayin! ;)2 ) Also its cool toned enough to work well with platinum and keep a monochrome color palette if so desired.

gemcal has a few greys if you look around.

I have purchased from this vendor a few times, including a few gray spinels. They are open to counteroffers on price and seem to answer questions forthrightly – expect a delay in the conversation if you are in the U.S., as they are in Thailand and there is a time difference, but Manit is willing to give more information about the stones and provide other suggestions if one doesn't quite suit your tastes. I've found that their videos are generally accurate in terms of color, though I think their clarity grading is a touch generous. Definitely ask about color shifting - one of the gray spinels I bought can take on a decidedly blue hue in certain lighting, which surprised me (though it is a pretty blue, so I wasn't terribly disappointed). They also have a return policy, though I don't know what shipping costs back to Thailand are like.

That said, one stone I bought has an inclusion that makes me wonder whether it might be synthetic. I don't know enough to know for sure and the stone, an orange-pink spinel, wasn't expensive enough to justify sending out for a lab report. I can't say anything for sure either way, but it raised some doubt in my mind and I would definitely ask a lot more questions for a more expensive purchase from this vendor.

However, there is another Pricescope thread in the past where someone asked caratsgems to provide a lab report - if I remember correctly, they did, split the fee of the report, and the stone was as was claimed. If I can find the thread, I'll edit this post and add a URL (click here for the link to this thread). Anyway, overall, I think this vendor is honest in their dealings, but I do think it is on the buyer to ask all the necessary questions and gather information up front before making a purchase, possibly requesting a lab report for an expensive purchase. I'm not sure I would buy very expensive stones from this vendor, but that is just my opinion at the moment.

On one hand, I would think there wouldn't be a high enough demand to lead people to synthesize gray spinel, but on the other hand, I've actually seen synthetic gray spinel for sale on eBay, so obviously it exists.

Last edited:
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP

Featured Topics