shape
carat
color
clarity

Guidance Required

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

deepblue2

Rough_Rock

May I start by wishing all of those of you in the Land of the Free, a wonderful Thanks Giving. I hope that you''re not too stuffed full of Turkey to give me alittle advice?

I''m a newbie to this and am just looking for a little advice/guidance. PS and those of you who contribute to this forum have completely reinstated my faith in the Web! So in advance of any response - Thank you!

I''ve afraid I''m alittle under pressure to make a decision on a suitable RB and two sidestone Pears.

The details of two RB''s I''m looking at are attached (hope it works) and I would be extremely grateful for any opinions as to which I should go for - Just for info,the 1ct is $800 more.

I am awaiting the IS images and will post those the moment I have them so please keep a look out when I do.

The other aspect I need some help/guidance with, is the Pairs to match. I am struggling to find matching Pairs which I suppose I would want in .40ct-.50cts, Ideal sym/pol with Colour to match and possibly of a lesser clarity?

I am currently residing in sunny Johannesburg in South Africa, however, am heading to London in 2 weeks where I am hoping to pick up the diamonds and will have them set in a ring.

Unfortunately, due to the time difference, I imagine it will take me a little while to respond to any feedback so please bare with me!

It''s so great to think there are people out there that can help me make the right decision.

Thanks everyone.

Attachments

Welcome!

Two excellent diamonds you are considering, both have great proportions so it is a case of going for the one which suits your budget the most, but if you would like to hit the 1 ct mark then it is an easy decision! VS2 should be eyeclean in that size range but check to be on the safe side.

As to the pears, I would ask the vendor you are working with to find the best looking stones he or she can for the sidestones. The polish and symmetry grades you mention are rare in fancy shapes, so you might want to consider good/ very good and upwards as you won't see any difference between these with the naked untrained eye. It is advised to keep within 2 colour grades ( GIA graded for example) between centre and sidestones but see what your vendor recommends as you will be using pears. Clarity you might be able to lower, verified eyeclean SI clarity could be a good choice.

They both look very nice! Make sure they are both eyeclean to your standards, and otherwise it''s a personal decision! And I agree with Lorelei, best to let the vendor source the sides for you if you can.

Thank you so much Lorelei & neatfreak for your speedy response and advice! I''ll definately look at the vendors to provide me with suitable pear sidestones.

I still intend to post the IS''s of the Round Brilliants when I recieve them, although the vendor seems to be dragging their heels.

In the meantime I would be grateful for just a little more advice.

Although the IS may make my decision for me, I think I''ll go for the .91 F VS1 HCA 1.1. (?) rather than the
1.0 G VS2 HCA 1.4.

If that''s the case intially I was thinking to go for side stones that would be between .40-.50cts and taking on
board the previous advice given, look for Pears of F/G Eyeclean VS2/SI.
Any comments on whether that would look ok? or advice as to what would be the best size/proportion.
I know how difficult a question that maybe to answer!

It such a sigh of relief to be able to discuss this with people who actually know what they are talking about!

Thank you everyone in advance.

Date: 11/29/2008 4:05:29 AM
Author: deepblue2
Thank you so much Lorelei & neatfreak for your speedy response and advice! I''ll definately look at the vendors to provide me with suitable pear sidestones.

I still intend to post the IS''s of the Round Brilliants when I recieve them, although the vendor seems to be dragging their heels.

In the meantime I would be grateful for just a little more advice.

Although the IS may make my decision for me, I think I''ll go for the .91 F VS1 HCA 1.1. (?) rather than the
1.0 G VS2 HCA 1.4.

If that''s the case intially I was thinking to go for side stones that would be between .40-.50cts and taking on
board the previous advice given, look for Pears of F/G Eyeclean VS2/SI.
Any comments on whether that would look ok? or advice as to what would be the best size/proportion.
I know how difficult a question that maybe to answer!

It such a sigh of relief to be able to discuss this with people who actually know what they are talking about!

Thank you everyone in advance.
You are most welcome!

As to which diamond to pick, both have beautiful numbers and just in case you are wondering if a lower HCA score is better, it isn''t as the aim is to score 2 or below then evaluate from there with Idealscope and trusted vendor/ appraiser input. The HCA isn''t used for selecting diamonds and especially with two diamonds which have such excellent proportions as these, Idealscope is the next step although both diamonds have very '' safe'' numbers and should be very good looking rocks! I would ask for hearts images also if having a true hearts and arrows diamond is important to you.

As to the size of the sidestones, I would think that would look fine but I am no expert! Maybe the vendor could do a mock up photo by arranging the pears he sources for you along with the round of your choice in a photo so you can get a good idea?

Great advice Lorelei, thank you!

I''ll ask the vendor if they could put together some photos aswell as provide me with
hearts images etc.

I''m alittle nervous as I am having the ring made here and will have to get the stones
set in the UK so the dimensions of the stones etc. are critical.

Would anyone be able to recommend somewhere I could get the stones set in the UK (London/Surrey) ?

It''s amazing the sense of relief one feels to find a source of good advice.

Date: 11/29/2008 4:35:07 AM
Great advice Lorelei, thank you!

I'll ask the vendor if they could put together some photos aswell as provide me with
hearts images etc.

I'm alittle nervous as I am having the ring made here and will have to get the stones
set in the UK so the dimensions of the stones etc. are critical.

Would anyone be able to recommend somewhere I could get the stones set in the UK (London/Surrey) ?

It's amazing the sense of relief one feels to find a source of good advice.
Very glad to help you! Some of us have been doing this a long time and it is because of great posters like yourself that we keep coming back!
35.gif

As to where to get the stones set....I can point you in the direction of Dr Indira Marchant at www.bestdiamonds.co.uk she posts here and is a wonderful lady! If she can't help with actually setting the diamonds for you, she may well know of some good places you can try in the London area. Also one thing - jewellers don't always take responsibility for setting diamonds they didn't sell, so make sure to ask if they will cover your diamond should any damage or breakage occur. This is admittedly rare, but something you need to check for.

Incredible
17.gif

Thank you so much.

(I may be back for alittle more guidance once I receive the IS or Hearts image)

Until then.

Wishing you all the very best.

Date: 11/29/2008 5:16:15 AM
Incredible
17.gif

Thank you so much.

(I may be back for alittle more guidance once I receive the IS or Hearts image)

Until then.

Wishing you all the very best.
Thanks, and my best to you! Please don''t hesitate to ask if we can help in any way and post the IS and or hearts image when you get them!
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP