shape
carat
color
clarity

Having a hard choosing between two diamonds: radiant and elongated cushion

spicyjalapenopopper

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! I’m planning on getting a 3 stone engagement ring with a 2.5 carat center stone flanked by two Cadillac diamonds about 2ctw, all bezel set. I also plan for there to be claw prongs on the center stone (however the bezel will be what’s securing the stone, claw prongs will just be decorative).

Originally I was going to go with a radiant. However, I’m now considering this elongated cushion. I’d love some insight. I have to return the elongated cushion by tomorrow so I have to make a decision asap. One thing I’m not sure about with the cushion is in some lighting the center looks dark, I’ve included some photos.

Videos: IMG_2294.jpeg

Last two photos show the inspo 3 stone ring and the claw prongs with bezel combo I’d like to incorporate

Attachments

• IMG_1568.png
    IMG_1568.png
    291.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9513.png
    IMG_9513.png
    527.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1946.jpeg
    IMG_1946.jpeg
    213.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1981.jpeg
    IMG_1981.jpeg
    274.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2017.jpeg
    IMG_2017.jpeg
    360.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2024.jpeg
    IMG_2024.jpeg
    287.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2058.jpeg
    IMG_2058.jpeg
    333.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2081.jpeg
    IMG_2081.jpeg
    293.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2247.jpeg
    IMG_2247.jpeg
    332.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2233.jpeg
    IMG_2233.jpeg
    199 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2216.jpeg
    IMG_2216.jpeg
    288.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2190.jpeg
    IMG_2190.jpeg
    214.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2183.jpeg
    IMG_2183.jpeg
    295.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2181.jpeg
    IMG_2181.jpeg
    275.9 KB · Views: 16
In the photos the radiant looks much better to me

A little bit about the nature of most radiants and cushions...

So the cushion is a 4 main. Those 4 mains in the "right" lighting will be white and bright. In bright sunlight, they will be dark (like a
well-cut round brilliant goes dark). Around those 4 facets you may see some darkness in any lighting. Do you have any
up close videos of the cushion (well, either stone)?

The radiant is more crushed ice faceting which is a lot of virtual facets that return a lot of little spakles. This type of stones tend
not to go as dark in bright sunlight because its facets are more virtual (light gets bounced around a lot in the stone before being
returned to the eye). With more "direct" facets (like the 4 main), light hits 1 or 2 facets and gets returned to the eye (so bigger,
brighter flashes vs. lots of little sparkles/twinkles).

Here are possible aset images for 4 main cushions and radiant stones...
Cushion
cushion aset.png
Radiant (mostly crushed ice)
radiant aset.png

Of course, each stone, radiant or cushion, has to be evaluated on its own merits. (Whether it's a nice stone with good light return for
the type of stone it is). You have to decide what type of look you prefer. Good luck!

A little bit about the nature of most radiants and cushions...

So the cushion is a 4 main. Those 4 mains in the "right" lighting will be white and bright. In bright sunlight, they will be dark (like a
well-cut round brilliant goes dark). Around those 4 facets you may see some darkness in any lighting. Do you have any
up close videos of the cushion (well, either stone)?

The radiant is more crushed ice faceting which is a lot of virtual facets that return a lot of little spakles. This type of stones tend
not to go as dark in bright sunlight because its facets are more virtual (light gets bounced around a lot in the stone before being
returned to the eye). With more "direct" facets (like the 4 main), light hits 1 or 2 facets and gets returned to the eye (so bigger,
brighter flashes vs. lots of little sparkles/twinkles).

Here are possible aset images for 4 main cushions and radiant stones...
Cushion
cushion aset.png
Radiant (mostly crushed ice)
radiant aset.png

Of course, each stone, radiant or cushion, has to be evaluated on its own merits. (Whether it's a nice stone with good light return for
the type of stone it is). You have to decide what type of look you prefer. Good luck!

Thank you for your insight! Here are some more close up videos:

Not sure if you saw, but I have some other videos here (I uploaded a handful but imgur added ads in between so you have to scroll a bit for all of them):

IMG_2355.jpegIMG_2344.jpegIMG_2342.jpeg

I also took these photos against a blue foam background

I'm a cushion person and not an expert at all but I like this radiant much better than this cushion, the radiant looks both brighter and crisper to my eye.

Yeah the cushion has almost a fish eye look- there are much better cushions out there. The radiant is more even. Does it have to be one of these stones? Can you keep looking?

You are blocking the light into the cushion with the up-close videos. This happens with a well-cut round brilliant too (in other words,
what you are seeing is normal). Radiants dont usually have this problem because they have less direct facets.

See @Garry H (Cut Nut) post #5 on this thread to see whats going on...

You really have to decide what you prefer to see and what you like the best...

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP

Featured Topics