shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Assessing Windowing in an EC (videos included)

Lemonlime

Shiny_Rock
Hello! I'm embarking on a fun labgrown alternative to switch out with my e-ring and I'm in the market for a EC with w 1:2-1:35 ratio in the 6ct range. I've reserved this diamond but I'm wondering if I should let it go. It appears to have some severe windowing in the left center but I'm not sure if that's just a tilt window or a bad enough flaw that will bother me when wearing it. I would love to hear from any experts, @Karl_K please weigh in!

Videos
Video 1
Video 2
Video 3
Video 4
Video 5

Photos
36270c11-f8eb-4604-8cc1-6bab8b1f8ad9.JPG
88d85f76-6650-4d87-9a02-0cd9c562285c.JPG

Cant see the vids right now but at 6ct may be an issue based on the pics.

Links work Im just not at my computer to watch vids.

Bumping for review!

Not enough tilt in the videos for me to see what’s going on.

Not enough tilt in the videos for me to see what’s going on.

Can you explain a bit more? Is the windowing in the left center pictured here not an immediate red flag? I guess thought it would be??IMG_5728.jpg

I can’t tell if that’s a window that shows your skin from under the stone or reflections of your skin from the sides. IMO if it’s reflections from the sides and only at that specific angle, it’s not really an issue once it’s been set in an open setting. In general you want to see the individual facets flash on/off as the stone moves/tilts from side to side. In your videos there’s not much activity going on, but there’s also not much side to side movement or tilt.

Yes its an issue, even more so at 6ct.
It stays leaky even under some tilt in that area which is even worse.

I can’t tell if that’s a window that shows your skin from under the stone or reflections of your skin from the sides. IMO if it’s reflections from the sides and only at that specific angle, it’s not really an issue once it’s been set in an open setting. In general you want to see the individual facets flash on/off as the stone moves/tilts from side to side. In your videos there’s not much activity going on, but there’s also not much side to side movement or tilt.

goto this vid. click play then on the gear and select .25 playback speed. It becomes clear.

Here's a couple videos with more movement, thank you so much for you help by the way!!

Yes its an issue, even more so at 6ct.
It stays leaky even under some tilt in that area which is even worse.

So this one is a total no go?

Its a little dark face up but the deal breaker is the huge leakage zone under slight tilt.

Its a little dark face up but the deal breaker is the huge leakage zone under slight tilt.

Thank you so much @Karl_K, which area do you mean? I’m guessing the area to the left of the center?

@Karl_K Gosh this is the third time I’ve struck out, how can I tell if an emerald cut will have bad light leakage in videos? I can always tell immediately in person but the magnified videos make it so difficult.

Im headed to PT I will try later today to give pointers but it might be tomorrow if PT wipes me out.

Thank you so much, tomorrow is absolute fine!

Hi @Karl_K how do these look?

I've been trying to learn about ECs, so I'm putting my money down on the 8.52. Let's see what @Karl_K says!

1st lots of crystal issues. Large areas that flash together.
Rotate it about 20 degrees and you will see a large part under the table flash all at once, now tilt the other side and that will do it also.

2nd Some crystal issues but light performance looks pretty good, can they get you more images?
With a good return policy worth a look but if possible I would be more comfortable with more images first.

3rd: Lots of crystal issues, under tilt lots of dark zones.

All 3 were made using cvd with post growth treatment so the odds of having crystal issues is pretty high but it can result in acceptable crystal.

I've been trying to learn about ECs, so I'm putting my money down on the 8.52. Let's see what @Karl_K says!
It is the best cut of the 3 and the crystal looks acceptable but more images if possible would help to be more sure.

It is the best cut of the 3 and the crystal looks acceptable but more images if possible would help to be more sure.

Thank you SO much @Karl_K ! I’ll report back when the jeweler gets it in. How do do you assess which of the three has the best light performance? They looked somewhat similar to me in that regard and I want to train my eye for this. Good eye @0515vision !

You want to see the facets turn on and off and blink when they turn. You want to see minimal black/gray at any one time. You've been spot on in the other posts when you've asked about the dark areas.

The 8.52 has a lot more dancing in the middle. There are some persistent black/gray zones in the other two as compared to the 8.52. (At least this is what drew my newbie eye to the 8.52.)

You want to see the facets turn on and off and blink when they turn. You want to see minimal black/gray at any one time. You've been spot on in the other posts when you've asked about the dark areas.

The 8.52 has a lot more dancing in the middle. There are some persistent black/gray zones in the other two as compared to the 8.52. (At least this is what drew my newbie eye to the 8.52.)

@0515vision That makes sense! I think I’ve been messing up by mistaking dark zones for the “contrast” people often mention when talking about nice ECs, take a look at this one below. I recently had it brought only to be sorely disappointed upon seeing it in person. Did I make the above mentioned error here? I’m really trying to above repeating that mistake.

cc @Karl_K

Another thing to check for is leakage to add to @0515vision post.
It is much harder to see with the gray background but it shows up as areas the same color as the background.
Narrow areas that only leak under tilt an quickly flash back on if there are not to many of them can be ok.

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP

Featured Topics