shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Big Box vs Online ( Just plain HELP !!!)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Diamondnewbie08

Rough_Rock
Well this site has alot of information and one could spend a lifetime trying to read it all. So I wanted to post a question for some help. The GF and myself have been looking around at alot of different big box stores lately. Finally i think found a setting she likes but the price the want for the stones seem to be very high.

The setting we saw was something like this
http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Diamond-Settings/-Baguette--and--Round--Diamond--Engagement-Ring_967.htm

It was made out of platinum and they wanted less then 1K for it. IS that a good deal ? They dont know much about the side stones at the store. But I figured they have to be 1/2 decent ....

So the stone they were showing us was a princess 1.48ct SI , I and they wanted 11k for it. I was really looking to find a better quality stone then a SI and spend around 8K. Is that reasonable ?

I have read so much information on this site I am on information overload and just need a third party to offer somehelp other then the sales person at the bigbox store. When i say bigbox store iam talking about a place like Jared , Zales , Robbin Bro''s, etc... Has anyone ever been able to "deal" with people at bigbox stores. I tried a little and they kept saying the price is what it is .

Has anyone ever had problems getting a setting from a bigbox then stone online ? The GF has hinted that it would be best to purchase it from the same place incase there were any problem ever though she doesnt see the price difference.

Please help or assistance would be great !!!

Date: 12/2/2008 10:12:23 AM
Author:Diamondnewbie08
Well this site has alot of information and one could spend a lifetime trying to read it all. So I wanted to post a question for some help. The GF and myself have been looking around at alot of different big box stores lately. Finally i think found a setting she likes but the price the want for the stones seem to be very high.

http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Diamond-Settings/-Baguette--and--Round--Diamond--Engagement-Ring_967.htm

It was made out of platinum and they wanted less then 1K for it. IS that a good deal ? They dont know much about the side stones at the store. But I figured they have to be 1/2 decent ....

So the stone they were showing us was a princess 1.48ct SI , I and they wanted 11k for it. I was really looking to find a better quality stone then a SI and spend around 8K. Is that reasonable ?

I have read so much information on this site I am on information overload and just need a third party to offer somehelp other then the sales person at the bigbox store. When i say bigbox store iam talking about a place like Jared , Zales , Robbin Bro''s, etc... Has anyone ever been able to ''deal'' with people at bigbox stores. I tried a little and they kept saying the price is what it is .

Has anyone ever had problems getting a setting from a bigbox then stone online ? The GF has hinted that it would be best to purchase it from the same place incase there were any problem ever though she doesnt see the price difference.

That''s way too much for that stone even with a GIA cert (which you don''t mention if it has one or not). I just did two searches, one on Whiteflash and the other on PS. Link to the Whiteflash results http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/SearchResult.aspx?isStatic=false

Whiteflash has Expert Selection Princess cuts and there are 2 that are about 8k. One is a 1.53 I, VS2, the other is a 1.51 G, SI1. I''d probably call and ask about those.

As far as the setting goes- 1k seems pretty low for that setting even with platinum prices dropping. Was that quote only of you bought the stone from them? Jewelers sometimes do that, give you a break on the setting if over charging for the stone
7.gif

Date: 12/2/2008 10:28:24 AM
Author: elle_chris

Date: 12/2/2008 10:12:23 AM
Author:Diamondnewbie08

I have read so much information on this site I am on information overload and just need a third party to offer somehelp other then the sales person at the bigbox store. When i say bigbox store iam talking about a place like Jared , Zales , Robbin Bro''s, etc... Has anyone ever been able to ''deal'' with people at bigbox stores. I tried a little and they kept saying the price is what it is .

That''s way too much for that stone even with a GIA cert (which you don''t mention if it has one or not). I just did two searches, one on Whiteflash and the other on PS. Link to the Whiteflash results http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/SearchResult.aspx?isStatic=false

Whiteflash has Expert Selection Princess cuts and there are 2 that are about 8k. One is a 1.53 I, VS2, the other is a 1.51 G, SI1. I''d probably call and ask about those.

As far as the setting goes- 1k seems pretty low for that setting even with platinum prices dropping. Was that quote only of you bought the stone from them? Jewelers sometimes do that, give you a break on the setting if over charging for the stone
7.gif
Welcome!

Elle is right, I would consider checking out the diamonds she mentioned above, particularly if WF have the setting you like.

No the setting the said was on clearance. I didn tknow if that was true or not. They showed us others in the case that were in the $2500 range for platium then they said this one was on clearance. Just didnt know if that was a good price for just the setting or if they were trying to make a good sale.

Date: 12/2/2008 12:08:56 PM
Author: Diamondnewbie08
No the setting the said was on clearance. I didn tknow if that was true or not. They showed us others in the case that were in the $2500 range for platium then they said this one was on clearance. Just didnt know if that was a good price for just the setting or if they were trying to make a good sale.

They are just trying to make a sale IMO...that setting shouldn't cost $2500 unless the stones are top notch, which I guarantee they aren't if they don't know anything about them.

I know this sounds like a newbie question but if i was to purchase th dimond online and the setting in the store how would that change the warranty ? They made it sound in the store that alot of dimonds fall out . Also do you think they would clean it still for free or that would be a pay service each time. I am just trying to evaluate all options to make sure i doing the best thing.

my advice--dont buy the stone online and have it set at the store. if you buy from whiteflash for example, have them make you a custom setting for the stone and do the whole project. its safer, easier and you will have a better end result. the mounting you said she likes is not complicated and they do wonderful custom work --their prices are reasonable and competitive

Date: 12/3/2008 9:51:48 AM
I know this sounds like a newbie question but if i was to purchase th dimond online and the setting in the store how would that change the warranty ? They made it sound in the store that alot of dimonds fall out . Also do you think they would clean it still for free or that would be a pay service each time. I am just trying to evaluate all options to make sure i doing the best thing.
They told you that a lot of diamonds will fall out of the setting? I think its reasonable to expect one or two to come out of a setting but not a lot of them. I would question the workmanship.

Also, don''t forget that through the end of the year WF is offereing 10% off any setting when you buy an ACA or an ES stone.

When I was first looking, Robbins Bros tried to sell me a "clearance" setting that they claimed was 60% off for a limited time. When I went back in eight months later to look at wedding bands with my FI, that same setting was still there. I got the distinct feeling that they have some settings that they always have on clearance.

NOOOOOOOO Robbins Bros!!!
2.gif

Yeah i got really turned off on Robbin Bros when they told me the price is fixed. No discounts at all !!! I was just so shocked

Any comments on Zales , Kay or Jared ?

Date: 12/3/2008 5:31:03 PM
Yeah i got really turned off on Robbin Bros when they told me the price is fixed. No discounts at all !!! I was just so shocked

Not loving any of those stores. Buy online....
2.gif

Date: 12/3/2008 5:31:03 PM

Personally I would never buy any jewelry, especially diamonds, at these stores.

I''ve never walked into a Kay''s, but as far as Zales go, RUN RUN RUN.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP