shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me choose gem books!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

weegem

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Please!
9.gif

Specifically, an encyclopedia-type, one that describes gems, rocks, minerals, etc. And another that helps the buyer identify and choose good quality stones, or what to look for to make sure they're genuine. I just bought my first diamond and would now like to read up on colored gems.

Any suggestions from aficianados? Thank yooo!

i second this request.

peace, movie zombie

Smithsonian Handbooks Gemstones (Smithsonian Handbooks (Paperback))
by Cally Hall, Harry Taylor

It''s at Amazon.com.

I love this book.
34.gif
I have it from when it was published by Eyewitness Handbooks.

Has wonderful pictures of both rough and cut. Has crystal structure and composition info and the text is short & to the point. There''s a color key in the front of pictures of stones by color. That''s most helpful and points out just how many stones are, say, green.

30.gif

This is a good consumer guide:

Jewelry & Gems: The Buying Guide--How to Buy Diamonds, Pearls, Colored Gemstones, Gold & Jewelry With Confidence and Knowledge (5th Edition)
ISBN: 0943763312

Oops, websailor forgot to logoff of my computer, Cflutist

Fantastic! Thanks!

Secrets of the Gem Trade by Richard Wise makes a nice shopping guide for a dozen or so gem types. The book has a terrific website (link) presenting the book and listing a couple of chapters. A couple more articles by Wise appear on the sire of R.W. Wise Goldsmiths, Tucsongemguide and Modernsilver. Definitely worth a read... whether you get the book or not.

You might want to visit Ruby-sapphire.com both for the book and the excellent bibliography of gemology related sources (link). Even if the fine details about these two gems are not of much interest, the site and the book pack stories about other gems as well and visit most of the hot issues that make gemology news. IMO, reading through the site makes the easiest intro to how to use any other bit of encyclopedinc (= laundry list type) info you might get.

Speaking of which... Gems and Gemology makes a pretty good laundry list
2.gif
not unlike other labs' publications.
Among the gemlab sites, the one of AIGS has been growing at an alarming rate recently. SSEF puts up interesting gemology research periodically... so these apear worth to follow up.

Leon Meje at Artofplatinum cites several books about jewelry that make a nice read (link to bibliography page).

If you do not only interested in paper based stuff, you might want to visit a couple of exper guides put up on the web at Palagems.com. There are others with stories about certain gem sources: Kashmirblue and Gems-Afgan come to mind.

This is pretty much all that comes to mind at random. Hope some of it helps
1.gif

Renee Newman published several gem books. Her website is below:

http://reneenewman.com/books.htm

I just purchased the one titled "Gemstone Buying Guide: How to Evaluate, Identify, Select & Care For Colored Gems, Second Edition".

The book is very a good value for $13.57 US (at Amazon.com). There are lots of good photographs of gems and jewelry including some unusual ones. The information on evaluation and identification are concise and to the point. It''s not as comprehensive as Richard Wise''s and Richard Huges'' books, but good for a beginning collector.

Hey wee Gem:

Here's my list: I have many more but these specifically come to mind..

Ruby and Sapphire
By Richard hughes
Val references this book also and it is a great wealth of information on the subject. My fiancee Regina bought me this book and Richard hughes was kind enough to inscribe and sign the inside cover for her. Awesome reference and one of the most intriguing chapters is when Richard describes how he developed his nitch in the gem world starting from the beginning of his travels to how his life evolved in the trade. The author also has a great sense of humor and I love some of the sarcasm in his writing going against the grain of traditional thinking.
Secrets of the Gem Trade: The Connoisseur's Guide to Precious Gemstones
by Richard W. Wise
I received this book a couple of weeks ago and connot put it down. It is an excellent reference as Val points out, and the author does a great job in breaking down the components of the system used in identifying colored gems from defining terms to how these terms are applied to grading and text references and colored pictures illustrating each gem which is being classified. The author also expresses personal experiences working in the field which is invaluable. The list price is $79.95 but Amazon.com has a special price for the book new which is $63.00 saving you about 20%.

Mogok: Valley of Rubies & Sapphires
by Ted Themelis
Ruby, Sapphire & Emerald Buying Guide: How to Evaluate, Identify, Select & Care for These Gemstones-
Don’t own this book, but is described as a good reference in broadening your knowledge of these gems.
Collecting and Classifying Colored Diamonds
by Stephen C. Hofer
This book is also spendy but is known as one of the best references on colored diamonds.
Gem and Crystal Treasures
by Peter Bancroft
This title is out of print, but is packed full of stories about the trade from field trips to the mines down to talking with shopkeepers and traders in the field.
Photoatlas of Inclusions in Gemstones
by E.J. Gubelin, J.I. Koivula
Excellent book with the most detailed documented photographs of gemstones and their inclusions. John was also recently added to the AGTA team along with Richard Hughes. The book is spendy, but more of a technical reference. If your interested hold off on buying now because it is my understanding John is coming out with a 2nd edition in a few months.
The Gemstone Forecaster
Webmaster and Gem Extraordinar who runs www.preciousgemstones.com puts out this news letter packed full of info on the latest gem news, treatments, and gemstone information. The search feature on this site makes an excellent reference for someone looking for background information on gems.

Wow, thanks for the suggestions everyone! I appreciate your insight and help. Off to spend some money now.....
36.gif

Another, encyclopedic, 1000 page gem ref., is GEMS - Their Sources, Descriptions and Identification, 5th ed., R. Webster.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP