shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me find a princess diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
I've posted a few threads. So some of you may know that I'm already engaged. But I'm returning the ring to the mall store it came from. I'm looking to get a princess stone online. Will probably set it locally in a setting that isn't very fancy (meaning expensive) as I want to spend most of the budget on the stone.

I've looked at GOG and WF. I'm leaning toward WF. Most of the diamonds on there seem to have a bit better ASET (from my pre-school knowledge of ASET images). I'm VERY nervous about buying a princess without seeing it. But I feel I can save more money this way. I like the trade in policy at WF which means that it just has to be a higher amount - not double. GOG has to be $500 more. I'm ok with that too. I do not want to buy from a place where I have to trade double unless someone can convince me otherwise or finds a stone that really ROCKS!

So here is what I'm looking for: princess cut, .70 or higher carat, probably higher than an H-I. I do not like to see any yellow! I'm pretty sensitive to that. My current ring is an H-I (though I know that's a WIDE range at mall stores) and I do not like the color. I want SI1 or higher. Again I'm obsessed with clarity and probably qualify as one of the people that like "mind-clean" stones. But the wallet doesn't really support that. I'd love a VS or up. But again - will look at that on a stone by stone basis. Budget is 3K, but $2500 is more comfortable. Does WF offer a pricescope discount?

So I'd love some help finding a stone. I'm currently leaning toward this one (pointed out to me by jstarfireb)

http://www.whiteflash.com/aca_princess/A-Cut-Above-Princess-cut-diamond-336523.htm#

I'm concerned about the note that clouds are not shown. Is that going to be an issue? I don't want to see clouds.
7.gif
Does the fact that the report is a year old indicate anything about the diamond? Is it still available because no one else wants it?

Also area all diamonds inscribed on the girdle? I want that because I'm worried about leaving the stone with the jeweler.

So all comments on the above diamond are welcome. Links to better stones are encouraged. All comments to ease my mind about picking out a princess online are needed! :)

I have to do this faster than I'm comfortable with due to the circumstances of not having a ring and hurting my fiance's feelings.
7.gif
And I feel like I'm drowning in information from this site! I really like to research forever before making a decision. Which drives my friends and family NUTS. So this is quite difficult for me. But I love you guys and all I have learned on here in a few short days.

Does anyone know WF hours this weekend (fri - sun) taking into account the holiday?

Thanks a TON!!!!!!!

Date: 11/25/2008 4:57:23 PM
Author:hoofbeats95
I've posted a few threads. So some of you may know that I'm already engaged. But I'm returning the ring to the mall store it came from. I'm looking to get a princess stone online. Will probably set it locally in a setting that isn't very fancy (meaning expensive) as I want to spend most of the budget on the stone.

I've looked at GOG and WF. I'm leaning toward WF. Most of the diamonds on there seem to have a bit better ASET (from my pre-school knowledge of ASET images). I'm VERY nervous about buying a princess without seeing it. But I feel I can save more money this way. I like the trade in policy at WF which means that it just has to be a higher amount - not double. GOG has to be $500 more. I'm ok with that too. I do not want to buy from a place where I have to trade double unless someone can convince me otherwise or finds a stone that really ROCKS!

So here is what I'm looking for: princess cut, .70 or higher carat, probably higher than an H-I. I do not like to see any yellow! I'm pretty sensitive to that. My current ring is an H-I (though I know that's a WIDE range at mall stores) and I do not like the color. I want SI1 or higher. Again I'm obsessed with clarity and probably qualify as one of the people that like 'mind-clean' stones. But the wallet doesn't really support that. I'd love a VS or up. But again - will look at that on a stone by stone basis. Budget is 3K, but $2500 is more comfortable. Does WF offer a pricescope discount? If you pay by bank wire there is a PS discount I believe, you would need to check with them as to this and the amount.

So I'd love some help finding a stone. I'm currently leaning toward this one (pointed out to me by jstarfireb)

http://www.whiteflash.com/aca_princess/A-Cut-Above-Princess-cut-diamond-336523.htm#

Jstar pointed you to a lovely diamond!

I'm concerned about the note that clouds are not shown. Is that going to be an issue? I don't want to see clouds.
7.gif
Does the fact that the report is a year old indicate anything about the diamond? Is it still available because no one else wants it? Clouds not shown is a non issue, bascially this is a common remark in the comments section, and this is only mentioned for the sake of completeness as the clouds are minuscule and not worth plotting. Check with WF if this diamond is eyeclean to your standards and make sure they understand your expectations. The age of the report is not an issue either - no worries.

Also area all diamonds inscribed on the girdle? I want that because I'm worried about leaving the stone with the jeweler. No but it can be done. Alternatively buy an inexpensive loupe and you can identify your diamond yourself by noting if there is a small inclusion only visible through magnification!

So all comments on the above diamond are welcome. Links to better stones are encouraged. All comments to ease my mind about picking out a princess online are needed! :)

I have to do this faster than I'm comfortable with due to the circumstances of not having a ring and hurting my fiance's feelings.
7.gif
And I feel like I'm drowning in information from this site! I really like to research forever before making a decision. Which drives my friends and family NUTS. So this is quite difficult for me. But I love you guys and all I have learned on here in a few short days.

Does anyone know WF hours this weekend (fri - sun) taking into account the holiday? You would need to check with them as to what their business hours/ coverage will be over the Holiday and weekend.

Thanks a TON!!!!!!!

Lorelei covered it all (thanks for the shout-out!). Let me just add that all ACA diamonds come with a special diamond viewing kit. For princesses, this includes a loupe (for rounds, it''s a nifty little combined loupe/H&A viewer). Also, all of the ACAs are inscribed on the girdle. If you need any confirmation, it says so on the AGS report.

Also, would you consider using one of WF''s settings, or do you prefer one at your local jeweler? It''s just easier to get your diamond and setting at the same place. You don''t have to worry about insurance for stone breakage during setting, or unscrupulous jewelers switching out the stone (although that''s rare). Their Legato Sleek Line solitaire is my favorite. It''s a tad on the budget-pushing side, though. There are less expensive options, but I don''t love them as much. It''s totally up to you; just might be easier to do the setting and stone together.

Finally, if you''re seriously considering this stone, I''d call them early tomorrow (remember they''re in Texas, on Central time) and reserve the stone. There are some lurkers who like to capitalize on the advice PSers give out to each other, and I wouldn''t want you to end up disappointed if it gets sold!

I''m not opposed to getting the setting from Whiteflash. But there is a simple setting at my local store that I like. I can''t seem to find anything at whiteflash that matches it.

*The budget doesn''t include the setting. That''s for the stone.

Hmph. I was hoping to decide by Friday. If someone steals this stone I will be mad.
29.gif

I''m assuming that this one must be pretty good since no one posted anything negative and no one posted a better stone? :)

I''m emailing Lesley - she''s due to get back to me later tonight. We are in the same time zone.

Date: 11/25/2008 7:14:11 PM
Author: hoofbeats95
I''m not opposed to getting the setting from Whiteflash. But there is a simple setting at my local store that I like. I can''t seem to find anything at whiteflash that matches it.

Hmph. I was hoping to decide by Friday. If someone steals this stone I will be mad.
29.gif

I''m assuming that this one must be pretty good since no one posted anything negative and no one posted a better stone? :)

I''m emailing Lesley - she''s due to get back to me later tonight. We are in the same time zone.

It''s very nice. PLEASE call and reserve the stone though so no one buys it out from under you!!!

The diamond is on hold! It''s 2AM and I couldn''t sleep as I had not received an email back from Lesley before I went to sleep. I got up and checked and it''s on hold!

Now wise PSer''s - is there ANY reason I would want a different diamond? The girdle seems ok. The color is good. The inclusions. . . . are the acceptable??? Remember I''m kind of a "mind clean" person and these are on/under the table it seems. I can see it in the 40X magnification. You all think this will be ok in real life? :)

Still don''t know what to do about the setting! I''d love to go custom, but I don''t think I''m ready to commit to that yet. I like the surprise diamond concept but none of their stock settings for it. . . I also like the one where the diamonds go around under the stone. . . can''t remember what that''s called. But that seems to be for a round. . . hmm. . . . I''m having dreams of settings! Seriously. I woke up with one in my head and it was FUGLY!

Thanks again! I''m off to see if I can sleep for real. :)

Date: 11/26/2008 2:53:19 AM
The diamond is on hold! It's 2AM and I couldn't sleep as I had not received an email back from Lesley before I went to sleep. I got up and checked and it's on hold!

Now wise PSer's - is there ANY reason I would want a different diamond? The girdle seems ok. The color is good. The inclusions. . . . are the acceptable??? Remember I'm kind of a 'mind clean' person and these are on/under the table it seems. I can see it in the 40X magnification. You all think this will be ok in real life? :)

Still don't know what to do about the setting! I'd love to go custom, but I don't think I'm ready to commit to that yet. I like the surprise diamond concept but none of their stock settings for it. . . I also like the one where the diamonds go around under the stone. . . can't remember what that's called. But that seems to be for a round. . . hmm. . . . I'm having dreams of settings! Seriously. I woke up with one in my head and it was FUGLY!

Thanks again! I'm off to see if I can sleep for real. :)
YAY! Congrats to you!!!
35.gif

And you are most welcome Jstar, thats a beauty and you do a great job at finding gorgeous Princess!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

HB, I think that is a very fine diamond you have there and I don't think it can really be improved on...As to the inclusions, WF will have advised you rightly if it is eyeclean to your standards or not, I think you need to see it and decide!
3.gif
30.gif
Also this diamond is inscribed looking at the report, so that is done for you!

Date: 11/25/2008 7:14:11 PM

29.gif

I don''t know if I''d say this one was better, but it''s a smidge bigger. It''s also a smidge more (should get about a 2% PS discount). But most gals would take bigger if possible. Just a thought, either one would be fine!

http://www.whiteflash.com/princess/Princess-cut-diamond-1204621.htm#

My initial thoughts on that last diamond is that it looks more included! I know it''s rated better where that is concerned but there''s an awful lot of red marks on there. They must be freaking TINY though huh, to be rated VS unlike the one I reserved as SI? Hmm. . . yes I would go bigger. Mine is an ACA though and I think I might like that? It''s also a bit more of a perfect square. Not srue how that matters in real life. But that''s a detail I''ve been observing.

jstar - what do you think? You seem to be the queen of princess cuts! :)

Date: 11/26/2008 7:52:26 AM
My initial thoughts on that last diamond is that it looks more included! I know it's rated better where that is concerned but there's an awful lot of red marks on there. They must be freaking TINY though huh, to be rated VS unlike the one I reserved as SI? Hmm. . . yes I would go bigger. Mine is an ACA though and I think I might like that? It's also a bit more of a perfect square. Not srue how that matters in real life. But that's a detail I've been observing.

Jstar should be along later if you can keep checking back, she is great with Princess ( and has rather a super one herself....
27.gif
)

My initial thoughts on that last diamond is that it looks more included! I know it''s rated better where that is concerned but there''s an awful lot of red marks on there. They must be freaking TINY though huh, to be rated VS unlike the one I reserved as SI? Hmm. . . yes I would go bigger. Mine is an ACA though and I think I might like that? It''s also a bit more of a perfect square. Not srue how that matters in real life. But that''s a detail I''ve been observing.

I''m not jstar, but can I throw my 2 pennies in?
5.gif

Yes, VS2 inclusions are tiny. And one should never go by the clarity plot, they can look scary.
9.gif

As for branded vs. non branded, that can be more of a "mind clean" thing. Sometimes the reason a stone doesn''t make ACA is not something a customer would actually see, but something Brian (head honcho), who is extremely picky, knows about. Also, you would not be able to see the difference in the diameter. I have a square emerald cut Aquamarine that has a bigger difference than that, and you can''t tell.
28.gif

But definitely go with the one you are most comfortable with!

Date: 11/26/2008 8:15:23 AM
Author: Ellen

I''m not jstar, but can I throw my 2 pennies in?
5.gif

Yes, VS2 inclusions are tiny. And one should never go by the clarity plot, they can look scary.
9.gif

As for branded vs. non branded, that can be more of a ''mind clean'' thing. Sometimes the reason a stone doesn''t make ACA is not something a customer would actually see, but something Brian (head honcho), who is extremely picky, knows about. Also, you would not be able to see the difference in the diameter. I have a square emerald cut Aquamarine that has a bigger difference than that, and you can''t tell.
28.gif

But definitely go with the one you are most comfortable with!
Ditto, great advice!

Fank you.
41.gif

Date: 11/26/2008 8:29:30 AM
Author: Ellen
Fank you.
41.gif
Mostie welcome!
9.gif

Of course all advice is welcome! :) Sorry about that. I do personally love Jstar''s stone, which is why I keep going to her for advice.

I''m kind of worried about the inclusions in the one I picked out. I know that I''ll be looking at in all kinds of light trying to see that dang crystal. Would you guys be comfortable with that inclusion map? In the 40X pic it doesn''t look that noticeable - but lighting can make things show up right?

I have officially reserved the original diamond that I posted. Lesley put it on reserve last night, but it came off somehow. I just spoke to her and it again marked as reserved. I just need to decide if I''m going to have WF set it. I''m so nervous and excited at the same time! YIKES!!!!! I might seriously make myself sick with nerves. Geesh!

Jstar - I hope to be sending you BIG THANKS in a few days. We won''t be paying till Friday probably. I got a couple days to decide about setting.

Good luck!

Thanks Ellen! I''m such a nervous decision maker. But I feel pretty comfortable making the decision after all that I read on here. :)

Jstar - where are you? I reserved the one you picked out!!!

Hoofbeats - I just replied to your thread in SMTR; so sorry I missed all the action here! I should really track the important threads by email.

Anyway, Ellen and Lorelei both have a great eye and far more experience here than myself (thanks for the props, ladies!). They never steer anyone wrong. I think either stone is a great choice...so much, in fact, that I actually posted that F/VS2 stone that Ellen recommended in your original thread! I think you were more comfortable with an ACA and didn''t mind the slightly smaller size. There''s also the fact that the smaller one is a bit less expensive, and you''re probably not going to notice the size difference visually. It''s really a toss-up - can''t go wrong with either. If you were still conflicted, I would call WF and ask why the larger stone didn''t make ACA status.

Congrats! It''ll be gorgeous I''m sure.

Jstar - I didn''t notice that it was the same stone. My brain is drowning in stones. I am getting the ACA. I''m kind of "bonded" with it already no matter how stupid that sounds. The size diff isn''t that big of a deal. I''d like to slowly work up to a 1 carat anyways. So I think this ACA will be a great stone to start with. And if I fall in love with it maybe it will be a forever stone. Who knows. :) Thanks so much for everyone''s help! I cannot wait to have this ring on my finger!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP