shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me find a Round Stone, need asap.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CageFighter

Rough_Rock
Ok, here''s my dilema. I have been on this forum for a few months now. I have been overwhelmed with all the info on stones, cuts, angles, degrees, images, etc. I am looking for a stone of at least 1 carat but trying for at least 1.1 or 2, F-H, VS1-S1 (maybe SI2), must be eye clear. I thought I knew what to look for with just the 4C''s, but with all this other talk about everything else, you guys got me paranoid I dont know what to buy. Honestly, I dont know what I am supposed to be looking at in the images, etc. My budget for the stone is $5-7k, but always prefer the lower cost. If there is a big size difference in the stone, I can opt to go bigger as long as the price is right. But again, I am trying to stay within a budget. I live in North NJ, and can travel to NY,CT,PA,DEL,VA etc. I have am trying to wrap this up within a week, 2 weeks the latest. I am going to set the stone in a repro Cartier 1895 solitaire setting (no pave). I have had help with a member on the site, so far. Also, vendors, please give your input.
Again, what I''m asking, is that I need help picking out a stone, please. I work (6) days a week, so my stress level is high already. -lol All your help is GREATLY appreciated, thanks in advance.

cagefighter,
I was also going to suggest GOG, but someone beat me to it. All three of those stones look nice. As for eye clean, unless you actually go and look at the stone, it''s a gamble with an SI1. The VS stones will be stunning and should not have any visible inclusions, so if you don''t have time to actually go look, those would be your best bet. Hope you find what you''re looking for!!

Date: 11/30/2008 11:43:09 AM
Author: Tuckins1
cagefighter,

I was also going to suggest GOG, but someone beat me to it. All three of those stones look nice. As for eye clean, unless you actually go and look at the stone, it''s a gamble with an SI1. The VS stones will be stunning and should not have any visible inclusions, so if you don''t have time to actually go look, those would be your best bet. Hope you find what you''re looking for!!

Normally, I''d agree. But Good Old Gold would be more than happy to evaluate them for him and tell him if they are eyeclean. They are a great vendor.

Date: 11/30/2008 11:49:17 AM
Author: neatfreak

cagefighter,

Normally, I''d agree. But Good Old Gold would be more than happy to evaluate them for him and tell him if they are eyeclean. They are a great vendor.
Ditto - Jon is very experienced at deciphering whether an SI clarity diamond is suitable for a particular purchaser.

I think I may change the setting to this, can you say WOW!!!

Mark Morrell Petite Torchiere platinum
w/ the 6 small diamonds in the head.

I will be ordering something this week.

anything closer in the $5-6.5 price range? cost of setting is $$$.

Date: 11/30/2008 12:36:34 PM
Author: CageFighter
I think I may change the setting to this, can you say WOW!!!

Mark Morrell Petite Torchiere platinum

w/ the 6 small diamonds in the head.

I will be ordering something this week.

I LOVE that setting...but not sure if you can get it in your timeframe...

Date: 11/30/2008 12:37:56 PM
anything closer in the $5-6.5 price range? cost of setting is $$$.

The first stone is $6375 assuming you are paying cash.

I may have to change the time frame. Oh well. I will be calling GOG on Monday. Keep the other stones coming. I am looking at the one for $6100

Date: 11/30/2008 6:58:12 PM
I may have to change the time frame. Oh well. I will be calling GOG on Monday. Keep the other stones coming. I am looking at the one for $6100

Sounds like a plan! One of those MWM settings would be totally worth it!

Date: 11/30/2008 11:49:17 AM
Author: neatfreak

cagefighter,

I really was suggesting that as "in general"... I have heard wonderful things about GOG and as long as there is someone there to look at and evaluate the stone for you, an SI1 can be a great choice!

You may want to check out James Allen because cost-wise, you are likely to find something a little lower on the price scale there.

Eg, how about this 1.1 carat, H/VS2 GIA Ex./Ex. round for $5,740? http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1199238.asp

Or this 1.15 carat, H/VS2 GIA diamond (Ex. symmetry, VG polish) for $5,690?
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1183301.asp

You would need to request more information about these diamonds if interested, but James Allen reps are usually quick about getting those. You could always post the info and get opinions from people on this forum about the specs.

Date: 11/30/2008 7:36:21 PM
Author: SYC
You may want to check out James Allen because cost-wise, you are likely to find something a little lower on the price scale there.

Eg, how about this 1.1 carat, H/VS2 GIA Ex./Ex. round for $5,740? http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1199238.asp

You would need to request more information about these diamonds if interested, but James Allen reps are usually quick about getting those. You could always post the info and get opinions from people on this forum about the specs.
what do you mean by "you are likely to find something a little lower on the price scale there"

are their prices better? do the other companies only cater to more expensive stuff?

yes the prices are better at Jamesallen but they don''t give you the info WF or GOG does but that does not mean they don''t have great stones bc they do...you just have to look more and ask them for an idealscope

whats the difference between the "Hearts & Arrow" & an Ideal cut??

Date: 11/30/2008 8:02:16 PM

what do you mean by ''you are likely to find something a little lower on the price scale there''

are their prices better? do the other companies only cater to more expensive stuff?

They don''t provide the service that GOG does nor the same amount of information IMO. So sometimes their stones are a *bit* cheaper. The important thing to note about the two that were posted from JA is that there is not enough information to determine if they will be good performers or not yet. So you need to wait for more information on those if you are interested...

Date: 11/30/2008 8:02:16 PM

what do you mean by ''you are likely to find something a little lower on the price scale there''

In my experience (have bought from Whiteflash and James Allen, but not from GOG), JA prices are usually lower. You do have to do more legwork though, in that you often have to ask them to provide an Idealscope and a copy of the certificate -- many of their stones are posted w/o this info, and you have to call and ask them to send it. This usually takes less than a day though, and is well worth the wait because the prices can be substantially less than other online vendors.

I bought a pair of earrings from JA that are stunning. There was no certificate/Idealscope online, so I had to request them. I later decideed to order them based on the IS image and HCA score after running the numbers. They turned out to be beautiful, and an appraiser confirmed they were a spectacular bargain.

All that said, it can be easier to deal with a place like WF and GOG -- they have great customer service, and are very organized in terms of having all the images and information on hand. So it is really up to you, but I do recommend checking out a stone or two on James Allen. If you''re time pressed, personally, I would stick with the VS1 or VS2 range to avoid problems with having to send back a stone that isn''t eye clean to your standards.

Well said SYC, just my opinion too

Date: 11/30/2008 8:26:13 PM
Author: Mrs W
Well said SYC, just my opinion too
Thanks Breann! By the way, I think the diamonds you posted look great -- you managed to find ones with images posted! Of course the OP would have to check about eyecleanliness, but I''m sure JA reps will be helpful on that.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP