shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me find a stone

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks to everyone for the help with looking at OECs. Something was gnawing at me and after browsing all the SMTB threads I realized I equate OEC with a warm color and no matter the cutting, a d-f-g stone was going to bug me.

I'm taking @Dreamer_D 's advice and looking for an MRB. My original stone was a transitional and more splintery so I think the setting will work with that cut.

About that cut. I am even more clueless about modern stones than older ones. I browsed Ritani and distinctive gems and am having a hard time telling what a good cut would be. I'd prefer to stay on the less expensive side of things since this is a special occasion ring amd i wont get the wears I do with my ER. That and I can't keep banging the channeled emeralds around. So I am looking for great optics and just a knock out sparkle stone. Just needs to be between 9 -9.3mm

I tried searching Ritani for 8x but wasn't sure what I was looking for. Anyone want to help me shop?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've got an option for you. Be sure to put it on hold while you're thinking about it so a lurker doesn't grab it.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
I've got an option for you. Be sure to put it on hold while you're thinking about it so a lurker doesn't grab it.

How do I do a hold? Oooo so pretty.
So education wise when all the arrows go dark is that cause something is blocking them?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
So education wise when all the arrows go dark is that cause something is blocking them?

Yes but it’s more complex than that because in MRBs that’s a sign of a well cut stone. They don’t look black in person they look silvery and reflect environmental colors. But the shape of the arrows and their relation to other facets tells a lot about cut quality if you know what an ideal pattern should look like.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

You'll have to chat with or call them.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Will you be able to compare the MRB to the OEC? It might be very helpful

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Will you be able to compare the MRB to the OEC? It might be very helpful

Probably. I was terribly disappointed with the OEC when I went outside and in spotlights. It just did not perform. No flashes of color and limited fire around the edges only.

Has anyone had issues with returning stones to Lab grown Diamonds? I am tempted to order it and see for myself

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, so they are telling me they can't hold it unless I buy it (which sort of defeats the hold purpose. Should I just buy it and go from there? I am home this week and next but August traveling a bit so probably better to get it while I am home and can return quickly.

Any issues anyone sees before I click buy?

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
Probably. I was terribly disappointed with the OEC when I went outside and in spotlights. It just did not perform. No flashes of color and limited fire around the edges only.

Has anyone had issues with returning stones to Lab grown Diamonds? I am tempted to order it and see for myself

I returned a diamond to them with no issue. It was slow to get the refund, but they did give it within the time they had told me (i forget now if it was 14 days or 30 days after they received it back)

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Shoot. they have a 2 week delivery and I will be out of town week after next. ARGH

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Since you have experience with old cuts and you have examined the OEC and feel underwhelmed it’s probably fine to return it and just view the MRB on its own merits once you have time.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
H&A RB in a lab stone should be a lot easier to pick. You can use the old (very tight spec) "Pricescope Cheat Sheet" which I believe goes back to Tod Gray and NiceIce. Crown and pavilion angles are a relationship. If you increase one, you must decrease the other. Some of the searches on diamond sites will let you specify table size and perhaps depth limits, but a lot don't. For whatever reason, there are vast quantities of lab diamonds with 57 or 58% tables and far fewer with 54-56% like I prefer.
depth 60-62.4%
table 54-58%
crown angle 34-35 degrees (can go up to 35.5 if paired with 40.6 pavilion)
pavilion angle 40.6-40.9 degrees
Generally, a shallower crown angle will pair better with a steeper pavilion angle and vice versa.
HCA cut score of 2 or under. (It's a rejection tool.)

DejaWiz tightened that when he looked for lab rounds:
Table: 54-56%
CA: 34.5-35°
PA: 40.6-40.8°
and prefers HPHT over CVD growth method.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Well now I have done it. I was out of town and couldn't risk the lovely @Kim N found for me and it has disappeared. Which is strange since the LGD customer service rep just emailed me about buying it.

Alas, I need another stone can I get some ruthless input? I literally have no idea what I am looking for in light return.

Please add your own!

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Ok this is weird and I am starting to get suspicious. The stone Kim found me was missing from the site. The customer service rep sent me a link to the stone, except it was more money $991 vs $975. And the clarity was listed as VS2 vs VS1. I couldn't recall the original price so I went ahead and bought it. The report number was listed as the same.

Now I go to the site and the $975 is back up and shows VS1. But the same lab report. @OboeGal did you have a similar experience?

Obviously, I want the VS1 stone but I also want the original price and am concerned it is showing on the site. This does not bode well. I told them not to ship for 2 weeks so it will be awhile til I see it. Hopefully they offer no hassle returns if the stone isn't right. Ugh.

I went to see some stones in person just to get an idea but I couldn't really evaluate them other than the seller insisting they were perfect cut (they were not precision and cert said ideal but who knows). They were also much much more than online, paired with my lack of confidence about cut on MRBs I just couldn't justify paying more for a possible substandard cut.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results