shape
carat
color
clarity

Help: More secure: WG vs P; 1.5mm or 1.8mm

RDG238

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

We are getting a solitaire with a two karat diamond that has a hidden halo. The diamond is very nice, D color, flawless, we already have the diamond which you helped us choose.

We have read so much on white gold versus platinum and we believe we understand many of the differences.

When it comes to keeping the diamond secure, would it be the white gold or the platinum? We have been told platinum is more malleable and softer and bends easier whereas white gold is harder a little more stiff and brittle. When it comes to the four prongs that hold the diamond and how they attach to the yoke, which is more secure, white gold, or platinum?

In addition, she is liking the 1.5 mm but I understand that is on the thinner side. This particular setting also has a nice height to it so although it is only 1.5 mm it still has some thickness to it. We are being tall white gold should be fine in the 1.5 mm but if we upgrade to platinum, we may want to consider 1.8 mm, what are your thoughts?

Lastly, we know the white gold is rhodium plated, and will need to be dipped every six months or year. Do you feel the white gold prongs when they starts to turn yellow will make the diamond look more yellow?

Any general thoughts would be very helpful. We’re going to look at them in person in the next few hours and hope to make our decision later today or tomorrow.

I have read much information some of which is conflicting, thank you for your help!

Can you post a pic of the setting you are wanting? I think it’s somewhat personal preference on metal. I prefer platinum, myself. Especially, around the diamond (the head of the setting). As far as metal width, I’d strongly suggest 1.8mm. Anything less will not stand up to daily wear and will require gentle consideration.

IMG_8741.png

Can you post a pic of the setting you are wanting? I think it’s somewhat personal preference on metal. I prefer platinum, myself. Especially, around the diamond (the head of the setting). As far as metal width, I’d strongly suggest 1.8mm. Anything less will not stand up to daily wear and will require gentle consideration.

Yes posting it now thanks

Any other thoughts?

Pretty ring. I would want a little more metal between the shank and the head, personally. Is she going to wear a wedding band with diamonds with it? If she is, you’ll want to make sure they don’t make contact with the halo of diamonds.

Thank you! Very insightful and great point about the halo making contact, we will definitely keep that in mind.

At present, we are planning for 2 bands. One is a very simple, plain 2mm wedding band and then another which is French Pave around 1.8mm. This would allow her to have options. Again, still working on WG versus Platinum.

Really appreciate the input.

Can you elaborate a little bit on your thought of Platinum? She wants all her rings (and mine) to be the same material. Mine will be a simple 5mm band. Mine may be simple or brushed in the middle, polished on the edges something like in the attached pic.

Things we should consider between the two? The only drawback we can think of in regards to Platinum is that it dulls quicker, is softer so it would scratch/dull/ding quicker and develop the patina...we tend to like things to look nice, neat, polished and no dings but guess we could just polish the Platinum once a year.
IMG_8746.PNGIMG_8746.PNG

I would do platinum over white gold as it does not need to be replated and it will have more heft with such a delicate ring so will feel more like fine jewelry. Some platinum alloys are whiter and hold up to scratches more than others. Here's a thread on the debate, you'll see that most people vote platinum: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/platinum-vs-white-gold-cant-decide.278449/

Would you consider a cathedral for the setting? That will add extra security around the head of the diamond, I think the one you've pictured with a 1.5mm-1.8mm band looks quite risky. Steven Kirsch's Simplicity is a lovely setting and could be done with a plain shank and the pave 'hidden halo'.

Two versions:

1) Pave, double prongs. I like the idea of double prongs for a stone this size and with this level of value and irreplaceability but that's my taste and my risk tolerance.

1727815378781.png
1727815446887.png

2) No pave, single prongs:
1727815291951.png
1727815597474.png

@newtojewels has given some good advice. I love the options for the rings she posted. Still delicate, but will withstand daily wear well!

Awesome, very good input, indeed!

Truly appreciate it!

Sounds like we may be going platinum!

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP