shape
carat
color
clarity

Help picking diamonds for studs - I made 3 pairs but I'm open to suggestions too

ukulele

Rough_Rock
Could I please get some advice about some diamond pairs for studs? I used this chart to try to pick diamonds in the More Brightness / Bright Balanced range:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/so-if-i-prefer-a-brighter-whiter-diamond….280141/. Unfortunately I have not been able to figure out how to calculate the “lower half” percent.

I’ve put together 3 pairs and would love to know if any of them look good. Or if someone wants to put together a better pair for me, I am open to that too! I am looking for about 0.9 - 1 ct each (about 1.8 - 2 ctw), G or whiter, V2 or clearer, HPHT. I would like to spend less than $500 per stone ideally, but could go a little higher if that will get me the best diamonds for studs.

Thank you!

Pair 1 - seem like an overall good match to me. They have "bright balanced" angles and tables
https://www.adiamor.com/Lab-Diamond...medium=cpc&utm_campaign=202406.01&b=0.448&p=1

https://www.adiamor.com/Lab-Diamond...medium=cpc&utm_campaign=202406.01&b=0.438&p=1

Pair 2 - They have "bright balanced" angles and tables. I like that they are both hearts and arrows. But are the color/size differences too much? Since the .94 has a 1% larger table will the light from them look a lot different?
https://www.brilliantearth.com/lab-diamonds-search/view_detail/28656238/

https://www.ritani.com/products/0-9...vvs1-clarity-igi-lg628447148-sku-d-3af7weldik

Pair 3 - Seem like a good match to me and similar to Pair 1. But this pair is bigger and the pavilion angle is 41.2 instead of 41, so they have "more brightness" angles and tables, which is supposed to be better for studs. But will they still be sparkly, or just bright?
https://www.adiamor.com/Lab-Diamond...medium=cpc&utm_campaign=202406.01&b=0.479&p=1

https://www.adiamor.com/Lab-Diamond...medium=cpc&utm_campaign=202406.01&b=0.468&p=1

ukulele

Rough_Rock
Would love any insights that any of the gracious experts here would be willing to share. Thank you!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't love the cut precision on any of them unfortunately. I can look later for a better pair.

ukulele

Rough_Rock
I don't love the cut precision on any of them unfortunately. I can look later for a better pair.

Ok thank you so much!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, I found a beautiful pair for you. Let me know when you're online and ready to put them on hold or purchase.

ukulele

Rough_Rock
Okay, I found a beautiful pair for you. Let me know when you're online and ready to put them on hold or purchase.

I am here! Thank you so much

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am here! Thank you so much

Here you go!

ukulele

Rough_Rock
Here you go!

Thank you, Kim!

Nope, just buy them before ssomeone else does
I did! Thank you.

I would love to know why I shouldn't have used the tables/angles from the "more brightness" / "bright balanced" section of the table created by other experts here, though, if anyone has thoughts

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Kim!

I did! Thank you.

I would love to know why I shouldn't have used the tables/angles from the "more brightness" / "bright balanced" section of the table created by other experts here, though, if anyone has thoughts

It's not that you "shouldn't" have used it. But rather that the stones you found with those angle ranges weren't good. Lab reports involve rounding, so angles alone don't tell the whole story.

There are some shallow stones that can work for earrings/pendants, but the ones you picked weren't appealing IMHO

ukulele

Rough_Rock
It's not that you "shouldn't" have used it. But rather that the stones you found with those angle ranges weren't good. Lab reports involve rounding, so angles alone don't tell the whole story.

There are some shallow stones that can work for earrings/pendants, but the ones you picked weren't appealing IMHO

Got it; thank you! I did purchase the ones Kim found, knowing that they are returnable.

I would love help finding good stones that fall into the “more brightness” or “bright balanced “ range if possible, because I have long hair that I often wear down, so based on Garry Holloway’s posts I think diamonds in those proportions will look better on my ears throughout a long day (getting “dirtier” as more hair product etc. is on them).

Or maybe the combo of the different angles that Kim picked will stay bright as dirty studs?

ukulele

Rough_Rock
Speaking from experience, I would buy anything Kim N recommends and know that they are going to be amazing! Enjoy them!

Yeah I am so very grateful for Kim’s help!

I just want to learn, too, since Garry Holloway (who created the HCA that is such an important tool) was one of the advocates for different specs for earrings.

Last edited:

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
I'll chime in here, but I also haven't read every post on this thread. I think I know what you're getting at, and I think I can clarify some stuff for you.

I was on during John Pollard and @Garry H (Cut Nut)'s talk about distances and CA/PA. Yes, earrings can stand to benefit from combos other than the ones we tend to use to rings (this had to do with viewing distance, etc), BUT CUT still matters.

I can't see @Kim N's picks for you, but I'll bet everything I own that they had amazing symmetry. The 3 pairs you initially posted are not cut well in that there are pavilion twist issues as well as other issues. You'll notice dark triangles near the bases of the arrows, and there are several where the arrows aren't all darkening at the same time.

You want symmetry in cut so that light bounces back to the viewer's eye. Leakage and obstruction are common problems in poorly cut stones, and your choices had a little bit of all those things.

The CA/PA combo that we usually use for rings can absolutely be used for earrings. I'm sure your studs will be lovely! @Garry H (Cut Nut)'s combo thingy for studs is taking it to the next level, and I don't think most PSer here have experience with those combos that he talked about with his wife's earring.

If you go to Rocky Talky, there are plenty of happy owners of stones which don't fall into PS's ideal criteria. And yet these stones are also beautiful. Someone posted a lovely stone a few weeks or months ago which had wonky angles. Diamonds are funny creatures. We can try our best to predict behavior, but ultimately, it's what happens between your eye, the stone and your heart.

Hope this helps a little!
PS - we LOVE photos, especially ear shots!

ukulele

Rough_Rock
The 3 pairs you initially posted are not cut well in that there are pavilion twist issues as well as other issues. You'll notice dark triangles near the bases of the arrows, and there are several where the arrows aren't all darkening at the same time.

You want symmetry in cut so that light bounces back to the viewer's eye. Leakage and obstruction are common problems in poorly cut stones, and your choices had a little bit of all those things.

The CA/PA combo that we usually use for rings can absolutely be used for earrings. I'm sure your studs will be lovely! @Garry H (Cut Nut)'s combo thingy for studs is taking it to the next level, and I don't think most PSer here have experience with those combos that he talked about with his wife's earring.

Hope this helps a little!

Thank you; that helps a lot! I definitely have a lot to learn still!

Even with all of the reading I’ve done over the past couple of months it seems I still can’t see a pavilion twist or the other leakage/obstruction issues (painting, digging, etc.). Sometimes I can see when a stone looks bad, and I seem to be able to tell a CVD from HPHT most of the time (I guess the graining really stands out to my eyes). But obviously I still have a long way to go before I can confidently pick a good diamond myself! :geek2:

I will keep reading other peoples’ posts and stuff, and when I am ready for another pair of studs or an e-ring upgrade, I’ll post a few options and hopefully I’ll have done better.

Thank you so much to everyone who helped me! :kiss2:

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Here’s one of your original diamonds. The black triangles are evidence of twist. Sometimes, if the diamond is tilted, you can see triangles in that location. But in this case, the arrangement of the triangles all around the clock (so to speak) is evidence of pavilion twist.

You also see that none of the arrow shafts are dark when the stone faces front. That’s another clue that this isn’t cut well. Take a look at some of the Whiteflash ACA stones and compare it to this. You’ll see a definite difference.

Isn’t learning fun! IMG_9715.jpeg

ukulele

Rough_Rock
Here’s one of your original diamonds. The black triangles are evidence of twist. Sometimes, if the diamond is tilted, you can see triangles in that location. But in this case, the arrangement of the triangles all around the clock (so to speak) is evidence of pavilion twist.

You also see that none of the arrow shafts are dark when the stone faces front. That’s another clue that this isn’t cut well. Take a look at some of the Whiteflash ACA stones and compare it to this. You’ll see a definite difference.
Thank you; this is very clear with your markings and you’re right that I can definitely see a difference when comparing to the ACAs. I really appreciate your taking the time to educate me more!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results