shape
carat
color
clarity

Help please, new user(2 Questions)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

epc1234

Rough_Rock
Hi,
I''m thinking of getting this setting in platinum, with a diamond about .75 - 1.0 ct. I will be getting a square or modified square cut diamond.....Do you think this will look alright on this setting? I''m worried that the square diamond might not flow with the flower/leaf design. ( http://www.vancraeynest.com/chased.html model 488).
Another question....i''d like to buy my diamond from either WF or Gog. If I bought this VanCraeynest setting from another dealer, what is the best way to get the loose diamond set into it? Will WF or GOG set their diamond into my VC setting if I ship it to them? I dont think i''m comfortable buying a loose diamond from WF or Gog and then shipping it to someone else to set.
Thanks in advance for your help!

vc1.jpg

Most companies who you bought either the stone or setting from are happy to set it, and usually we recommend that you send the setting to the company you bought the stone from, because then the diamond is usually covered by insurance while setting. But you need to ask directly.

As for the diamond, what cut specifically are you looking at? I think a square stone would look fabulous in that setting, but that being said, I don't think it's the right setting for something as modern/harsh as a princess. Something like a cushion or jubilee would be great though.

No, i dont like the princess cut too much, not for my taste, I like the chunky look much more. It would be either a cushion h&a, jubilee, or princess of hearts cut.
Thanks!

Date: 11/26/2008 9:11:46 AM
Author: epc1234
No, i dont like the princess cut too much, not for my taste, I like the chunky look much more. It would be either a cushion h&a, jubilee, or princess of hearts cut.

Thanks!

I think any of those would be gorgeous but my vote would be for cushion or jubilee!

why do you like cushion and jubilee over the princess of hearts? i love the jubilee and have read alot about it, but it is so much more expensive than the other 2 cuts, and i dont see a big enough difference to choose it over the princess of hearts. And IMO, i think the princess of hearts is equal to the square h&a in looks. i''ve been having alot of trouble deciding between these 3 cuts....there is a video comparing the 3 of them on GOG, and i couldnt notice much of a difference between the 3.
my girlfriend said that she wanted a square(and that''s all she has told me) and I worry that the princess of hearts cut looks a little more ''round'' than the other 2.
what are your opinions? i''m a typical guy, without an ''eye'' for these things, but I do want to get the best(even though she''d be happy with a .10 ct on a boring setting). I am trusting every opinion that i hear and know that everyone on this site has good ''educated'' taste, so i really appreciate every response i get, thanks!.

I love the PofH. Any of the stones you mentioned would be beautiful in that setting. Cushion is probably the least "square", though. Between PofH and Jubilee it will be a matter of what pattern you like, the pricing and availability. GOG might be able to compare the two and tell you what they see in each. To me they look very close.

I probably would have VanCraeynest set the stone. That way if they nicked the ring while they were setting it, they'd be able to fix it (since the engraving they do is their specialty).

At one point in my e-ring search process I decided I wanted a PoH, but when I looked at it again after some time, it looked more round when not viewed up close.

It''s also more expensive than the square H&A (I think Jon mentioned about 20% price difference, but I could be wrong). The square h&a does have more of a square look to it than the PoH. They are both beautiful stones, though. I haven''t seen a Jubilee in person, so I can''t comment on that
7.gif

I think for this setting (having an antique look and feel) I''d prefer a chunky cushion look, so I think square H&A will do the trick.

Date: 11/26/2008 9:36:26 AM
Author: epc1234
why do you like cushion and jubilee over the princess of hearts?

I just think their shapes being more "pillowy" look more natural with the very flowery/organic settings. I do love the PoH but prefer it with more modern settings.

Date: 11/26/2008 9:06:32 AM
Author: neatfreak
Most companies who you bought either the stone or setting from are happy to set it, and usually we recommend that you send the setting to the company you bought the stone from, because then the diamond is usually covered by insurance while setting. But you need to ask directly.

As for the diamond, what cut specifically are you looking at? I think a square stone would look fabulous in that setting, but that being said, I don''t think it''s the right setting for something as modern/harsh as a princess. Something like a cushion or jubilee would be great though.

Agreed... I think a nice chunky cushion would look lovely in this setting!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP