shape
carat
color
clarity

Help, trying to decide in a hurry OEC LG

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all.

I am trying to decide on an OEC to set into my original ER setting (see profile). I was offered this one by DK and I can't see any issues but I have never evaluated an OEC nor a lab stone. Can I get some PS expertise?

Thanks in advance

It also has a report, but I am not sure what I am looking for or if I need additional access to see the vital bits.: Report number / LG634446571

Last edited:

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Link is to a private account. FYI.

PS your setting is one of my all time favorites! I am looking forward to seeing the OEC.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Here’s the correct link. I think you have to copy and paste to get to the video.
imgur.com/a/5XXnE8v

I’m not versed in evaluating OEC’s. @tyty333, @0-0-0, @lovedogs, @Inked might be able to help?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here’s the correct link. I think you have to copy and paste to get to the video.
imgur.com/a/5XXnE8v

I’m not versed in evaluating OEC’s. @tyty333, @0-0-0, @lovedogs, @Inked might be able to help?

Thanks for the tag! I'm not a fan. Don't think it's well cut. There seems like a lot of leakage in the middle and rhe "petals" aren't great.

freddyboston

Shiny_Rock
Can an OEC have Table @ 54% ?

1720739918346.png

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A couple observations.

I think it really depends for me on price and what it looks like in person. I don’t think it’s a good OEC cut. Center petals don’t perform well, seems leaky. Outer facets aren’t crisp. I’m not an expert but for this particular setting I’d try to get a better cut stone OR if the price is right look at it in person.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
OP what’s the goal here — the most authentic looking or the best optics?

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No most old OEC's have small tables..i think 53 is the high end

1720747856043.png

Thanks for the reference chart, good point about the table % being outside of typical range.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock

Great question. I am having my ER reset and wanted something for my old setting because I love it a lot. I wasn't prepared for a full on search but that now seems naive since it is going to be a 2k purchase.

Since it won't be a daily driver I am not looking for perfection but a pretty OEC that doesn't go dark for an occasional or travel ring.

Are there other vendors selling these I can go to? I'm not sure I have the expertise to have something recut since I haven't a clue what I am looking for in the first place.

Last edited:

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
I am so greatful to you all. This is what I get for dipping my toe into something I know nothing about.

I picked my original diamond totally on looks (and setting). It isn't what anyone would call ideal for a transitional. I had no clue (still don't) about diamond cuts. Everything since that purchase has been colored stones, which is an entirely different ballgame

Inked

Brilliant_Rock

I was hoping @Dreamer_D would chime in! Thats such a great question... I guess i feel like because its lab we expect perfection in the OECs now, but the earth mined ones were never perfect. I just like what I like, maybe you do too... so Dreamers question is very relevant, because you may not *want* absolutely perfect, you may want something a little wonky because thats what a earth mined OEC would be.

I have done 4 recuts, so anytime I like an OEC i look at the certificate to see what the stats are... and they are seriously ALL OVER. I mean, ALL over. I have seen ones that I loved the pattern on but they were a larger table and GIA listed as "circular brilliant" and not OEC.. I still loved them. I have loved a range of diamonds and when i see a pattern like that I will call it an OEC even if it's not. Because i am a rebel and rule breaker. You're still allowed to call your diamond an OEC even if it isnt, who cares? the diamond police arent coming to get you or anything.

So my point is, if YOU like it who cares if its perfect or what anyone else thinks, if you like it, you like it. However, if you 're looking for perfect, i agree with the others, this isnt perfect.

So my last 2 recuts I actually copied an earth mined OEC pattern that i loved and asked for those stats on my recut... so for me, my optics aren't perfect (especially my newest one) but i absolutely adore them. They have personality. My Alex Parks one that they cut in house cut was pretty close to perfect optics, and I would marvel at its perfection, but I honestly love my new ones more even if they're not perfect and don't always photograph perfect because they're not perfect.

You know what they say, you have to see an OEC with your eyes! So, if you like it and dont care about the bigger table, maybe ask David if you can see it in person OR ask if it can be returned?

For me, I have found i seem to consistently always love diamonds with a table like 49-50 and a depth like 62-63, but thats just me, you have to look at a bunch and see what your eyes fall in love with!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honestly given what you have told us I’d just buy and MRB!

This one you posted doesn’t actually tick either of the boxes. It is not a really well cut old style cut like Inked and others have had made, and it does not look like an authentic antique.

Parks Fine Group on IG has the best cut OECs in my opinion. Look authentic and well cut. But you have to buy what he posts and you can order one to size you want.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe after all these years I'm starting to learn something...I thought this stone looked fairly nice but was too insecure to say so. It's reassuring to me that @Dreamer_D had the same thought LOL.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe after all these years I'm starting to learn something...I thought this stone looked fairly nice but was too insecure to say so. It's reassuring to me that @Dreamer_D had the same thought LOL.
Never be too insecure to say what you think June! Everyone has different priorities and if it looks pretty to you then its worth the OP knowing that. I am still personally trying to figure out in my own mind how we should assess these new old-style cuts anyway.

And it does look pretty good all things considered! I asked what OP was looking for because to me this stone does not look like an authentic antique. The proportions are not "right." I also think there are more precise versions of this type of "new old-style cut" out there. Some of the recuts people have done fit that bill.

OP if you are going to consider this one further it would be helpful to have a picture of the stone resting on someone's hand or a flat white background. Its easier to see leakage that way. These floating in air videos don't really help much in that regard.

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Never be too insecure to say what you think June! Everyone has different priorities and if it looks pretty to you then its worth the OP knowing that. I am still personally trying to figure out in my own mind how we should assess these new old-style cuts anyway.

And it does look pretty good all things considered! I asked what OP was looking for because to me this stone does not look like an authentic antique. The proportions are not "right." I also think there are more precise versions of this type of "new old-style cut" out there. Some of the recuts people have done fit that bill.

OP if you are going to consider this one further it would be helpful to have a picture of the stone resting on someone's hand or a flat white background. Its easier to see leakage that way. These floating in air videos don't really help much in that regard.

Yes yes yes! These "floating in air" videos are driving me nuts. I just posted about a lab OEC that I ordered in a ring that I don't think looks good at all in the pre-shipping approval video. All they would send me of the loose stone were those "in air" videos, despite me asking for ones more like the pictures they had on their website, like on top of someone's hand, and they wouldn't. I approved the stone at the time, but now seeing it in the ring, I can see that I made a mistake doing so. I don't understand why all the vendors are insisting on those "in air" videos.

ETA: @Dreamer_D, not to hijack OP's thread here, but if you have a moment to check out the video I posted a few minutes ago and give me some feedback, I'd deeply appreciate it.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes yes yes! These "floating in air" videos are driving me nuts. I just posted about a lab OEC that I ordered in a ring that I don't think looks good at all in the pre-shipping approval video. All they would send me of the loose stone were those "in air" videos, despite me asking for ones more like the pictures they had on their website, like on top of someone's hand, and they wouldn't. I approved the stone at the time, but now seeing it in the ring, I can see that I made a mistake doing so. I don't understand why all the vendors are insisting on those "in air" videos.

ETA: @Dreamer_D, not to hijack OP's thread here, but if you have a moment to check out the video I posted a few minutes ago and give me some feedback, I'd deeply appreciate it.
I think they like the floating videos because they obscure cut issues. They do show faceting very well though.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Diana at Sin City has these as an option. She said the cut is identical, but the size is a little smaller 8.53mm 2.56ct. I'm not sure if that will work in the setting since there isn't much holding the stone above the opening. If they don't work I can ask for 3ct, assuming this cutting is better.

I think I can see the difference in the petals here but not sure I can evaluate the cut from the stills. Any and all opinions welcome.

IMG_20240712_191701_942.jpg

IMG_20240712_191659_791.jpg

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
I think they like the floating videos because they obscure cut issues. They do show faceting very well though.

@Dreamer_D and @OboeGal thank you! I couldn't figure out why I wasn't seeing things in the video and now it clicks. When I see colored stones "floating" I keep clicking, worst representation possible.

@OboeGal I am so sorry about your unpleasant surprise. I keep trying to remind myself this should be fun, but ever since I came over to the dark side (hee hee) I know too much to be satisfied with poor cuts, generic designs etc. I curse and bless PS for this

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Diana at Sin City has these as an option. She said the cut is identical, but the size is a little smaller 8.53mm 2.56ct. I'm not sure if that will work in the setting since there isn't much holding the stone above the opening. If they don't work I can ask for 3ct, assuming this cutting is better.

I think I can see the difference in the petals here but not sure I can evaluate the cut from the stills. Any and all opinions welcome.

IMG_20240712_191701_942.jpg

IMG_20240712_191659_791.jpg

I like these classic OEC proportions. I wouldn’t be shocked if they come from the same cutter as the one David got you. There can’t be very many lab orc suppliers. Do you have still photos of David’s stone?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just realized another thing I find confusing about LGD OECs is they are colorless! Throws me off.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
I like these classic OEC proportions. I wouldn’t be shocked if they come from the same cutter as the one David got you. There can’t be very many lab orc suppliers. Do you have still photos of David’s stone?

Just the video.
Maybe I can stills

I hear you on color. I have a transitional cut, which means wild west of cutting. Colorwise it is an M, granted it faces up white. I did ask about lower color oecs in LGDs and apparently they are pricier than high colors. Grumble. My setting is seriously old and I sort of equate high color to new, but I guess we will see. Hence the reason to skip a MRB.

Thanks for all your help, everyone.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock

I am following your misery. I am so sorry.

DK is asking for the stone to be sent to him and will send further photos.

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am following your misery. I am so sorry.

DK is asking for the stone to be sent to him and will send further photos.

Thank you!

I bet you'll get some helpful feedback from DK. I imagine he has trustworthy eyes about what he sees in the stone in person, and will make sure you get good photos/video.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Not going in the smaller table direction but Alex's folks have this. It is an IG video so I cannot figure out how to post the videos. 451351939_7920912881332096_2038317674832196838_n.jpg 451426069_1045980653618284_2796296057009000490_n.jpg

451692073_26065270843117221_1212351898496966829_n.jpg

Attachments

• 451769785_3694644337416523_7406907227814112264_n.jpg
    451769785_3694644337416523_7406907227814112264_n.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 7

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not going in the smaller table direction but Alex's folks have this. It is an IG video so I cannot figure out how to post the videos. 451351939_7920912881332096_2038317674832196838_n.jpg 451426069_1045980653618284_2796296057009000490_n.jpg

451692073_26065270843117221_1212351898496966829_n.jpg

Looks nice. Some obstruction but nothing wild.

Betting dollars to donuts its very similar to DKs. Likely from the same supplier lol.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Looks nice. Some obstruction but nothing wild.

Betting dollars to donuts its very similar to DKs. Likely from the same supplier lol.

Yeah I am curious where these are all coming from. DK actually referred me to Alex Parks.

He is sending me the stone to see myself. I have NO idea what I am actually looking for so will get lots of stills and a few videos and maybe you all aren't sick of me yet and can help me evaluate.

Can you point out where the obstruction is? Is that were the petals go dark?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results