shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with analyzing a diamond

connor

Rough_Rock
Hi there,

I am going to be proposing soon and I have two diamonds to choose from. One is from ritani and the other from rarecarat. Both are princess cuts, however they are different carats at different sizes. I am leaning towards the larger stone, but wanted help with the sizes of both, as well as the depth/tables and which one would be recommended/better overall pick over the other. Any help would be great thanks !

2 carat- https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=1493229420

1.4 carat- https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=2487474458

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
do you have photos/videos of the stones?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 1.4 looks decent IMO. There is no picture/video of the 2.02 that I could see.

Ask if you can get an ASET image of the stones and post here so we can check on the light return.

Just curious if your GF asked for a princess cut stone?

connor

Rough_Rock
The 1.4 looks decent IMO. There is no picture/video of the 2.02 that I could see.

Ask if you can get an ASET image of the stones and post here so we can check on the light return.

Just curious if your GF asked for a princess cut stone?

I’ll thought there was on the 2.02 but I must have been mistaken, I am waiting on them to send me the pics of it and then I can post them in here . She did not, she said she didn’t need a round, but also all of her friends have rounds, and I wasn’t necessarily a fan of the cushion or oval, so I figured a nice princess cut would stand out and be different from her friends

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Princess cuts can be beautiful but the sharp edges and points can be susceptible to chipping. I would want to make sure she will be happy with a princess cut diamond. Just sayin’!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree. Some people love princess cuts and others don't. And yes, the sharp corners really need protection. If you don't like cushions or ovals, you could also check out emerald cuts and see what you think about those. All different flavors. But it would help if she had a preference, or at least something she did not want. And what kind of setting you and/or she is looking for.

connor

Rough_Rock
I agree. Some people love princess cuts and others don't. And yes, the sharp corners really need protection. If you don't like cushions or ovals, you could also check out emerald cuts and see what you think about those. All different flavors. But it would help if she had a preference, or at least something she did not want. And what kind of setting you and/or she is looking for.

I chose a simple pave setting, but I am hoping she likes it lol, that’s why I’m glad I have the return policy :)

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I chose a simple pave setting, but I am hoping she likes it lol, that’s why I’m glad I have the return policy :)

Just make sure the corners are protected.

It sounds like she knows this might be happening so I'm wondering if she has a Pinterest page where she may have posted rings/stones that she likes. Or perhaps discussed with a friend so you can get an idea of what her preferences are? I know you said that you don't like cushions or ovals, but maybe she does? If you haven't investigated, I would, before purchasing. I don't think anyone wants to say that the ring they are given for their engagement isn't something that they love, so if she isn't involved in the choosing process, it may help to see if you can get some hints somewhere. Avoiding a return is the best option.

jjca

Shiny_Rock
Just make sure the corners are protected.

It sounds like she knows this might be happening so I'm wondering if she has a Pinterest page where she may have posted rings/stones that she likes. Or perhaps discussed with a friend so you can get an idea of what her preferences are? I know you said that you don't like cushions or ovals, but maybe she does? If you haven't investigated, I would, before purchasing. I don't think anyone wants to say that the ring they are given for their engagement isn't something that they love, so if she isn't involved in the choosing process, it may help to see if you can get some hints somewhere. Avoiding a return is the best option.

That is such a great point!

connor

Rough_Rock
That is such a great point!

very good points, her friends notes were her ring size, no pear or marquee or emerald. Stones on band are ok, likes thin not high profile band. And it had to be a platinum band(which I got). Me and her have talked randomly but she doesn’t know it’s happening, but she said she isn’t picky, however her friend just got a large round on a plain gold band and she said she didn’t like that.

connor

Rough_Rock
very good points, her friends notes were her ring size, no pear or marquee or emerald. Stones on band are ok, likes thin not high profile band. And it had to be a platinum band(which I got). Me and her have talked randomly but she doesn’t know it’s happening, but she said she isn’t picky, however her friend just got a large round on a plain gold band and she said she didn’t like that.

The girdle is also a little bit on the thicker side I think so I was hoping that would help edges

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
We're concerned about the corners, not the edges/girdle. The pointed corners on a princess tend to chip. You can also think about a square cushion.

Here's something from Brian Gavin:
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...oducts/1-5-h-vs1brian-gavin-signature-cushion

I realize you already did a ton of research and decided on the two above. I'm not good at judging light return on princess cuts, so I can't really help you decide.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was going to suggest a square cushion as well, to avoid the pointed corners.

freddyboston

Shiny_Rock
The 2 CT I Vs has a Table % greater than the Depth % - generally u want to have Table% < Depth.

connor

Rough_Rock
The 2 CT I Vs has a Table % greater than the Depth % - generally u want to have Table% < Depth.

Yeah I saw that, but I was hoping they were close enough that it wouldn’t make a huge difference. And also, I really appreciate everyone’s help input, for the princess would the setting/prongs not cover the edges ? This is my first time buying a ring so I have no idea

IMG_1204.png

freddyboston

Shiny_Rock
Yeah I saw that, but I was hoping they were close enough that it wouldn’t make a huge difference.
Whiteflash has a good page on what to look for Princess Cut... I like the ring - we have similar only wider w/ 3mm sides and a 8 mm center.

1720867117378.png

Last edited:

connor

Rough_Rock
Whiteflash has a good page on what to look for Princess Cut... I like the ring - we have similar only wider w/ 3mm sides and a 8 mm center.

1720867117378.png

Yes, I actually posted this same question on Reddit and white flash was actually the one to respond to me. Very helpful.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Rings get knocked around ... a lot. Those corners (even with a prong on top) are narrow and susceptible to chipping underneath the prong when whacked just right.

Other shapes don't come to such a fine point, so the pressure from a whack is distributed over a greater surface area. People sometimes want to reset or upgrade their princess cuts, only to discover they've been chipped under the prongs. When that happens - no upgrade. I don't know what the insurance policy says about wear and tear on a diamond. Maybe other people can chime in here.

This doesn't happen to everyone, but you need to know the risks of a princess cut. I'd have no qualms about a lab princess. But a mined princess is a different story.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OP
Best to make sure she likes the cut, you are not wearing it, she is. You want her to gush all over it and show it to her friends. Are you sure you are going down the right path? I read about these diamond purchases for people and the buyer is 100% convinced the woman is going to love it. It ends up a train wreck, a dumpster fire.

A few years ago I bought a watch for my stepdaughter for college graduation. I thought I knew what she wanted. I loved the watch and was sure she would too. She hated it. Returned it to the watch store, took her with me and she chose a watch I would not have chosen in a million years.

Good luck.

freddyboston

Shiny_Rock
I’ll thought there was on the 2.02 but I must have been mistaken, I am waiting on them to send me the pics of it and then I can post them in here . She did not, she said she didn’t need a round, but also all of her friends have rounds, and I wasn’t necessarily a fan of the cushion or oval, so I figured a nice princess cut would stand out and be different from her friends

Sometimes when a woman says i dont' need a round often she is just being sweet because rounds are the most Expensive by ct weight...

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP
Best to make sure she likes the cut, you are not wearing it, she is. You want her to gush all over it and show it to her friends. Are you sure you are going down the right path? I read about these diamond purchases for people and the buyer is 100% convinced the woman is going to love it. It ends up a train wreck, a dumpster fire.

A few years ago I bought a watch for my stepdaughter for college graduation. I thought I knew what she wanted. I loved the watch and was sure she would too. She hated it. Returned it to the watch store, took her with me and she chose a watch I would not have chosen in a million years.

Good luck.

This. I seriously cannot recognize talking to her enough. Princess cuts aren't for everyone. I personally hate them, others love them.

freddyboston

Shiny_Rock
This. I seriously cannot recognize talking to her enough. Princess cuts aren't for everyone. I personally hate them, others love them.

We have small natural green one Kite orientiation in a 4 prong wire basket pendant... it's quite pretty that way....
1720969972143.png

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rounds face up much larger than princess cuts for weight, hence the per carat price difference.

Princess cuts are not in fashion anymore. Some people may love them still but if it was not the specific request I would not buy it as a surprise.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rounds face up much larger than princess cuts for weight, hence the per carat price difference.

Princess cuts are not in fashion anymore. Some people may love them still but if it was not the specific request I would not buy it as a surprise.

Please consider a square cushion like @0515vision suggested. It gives you the squared shape with no sharp corners, the cut is similar to a MRB, and probably a safer choice all around.

I think most people have been trying to steer you away from the princess cut for various reasons, safety as well as a safer bet that your intended will really like it. As stated by a few people, a lot of people don't like princess cuts. Maybe she does, but you really should make sure of that before going forward. Having to return the ring will really disappoint her (if she has the nerve to tell you that she doesn't like it---not sure I would) and the hassle as well of starting the search all over again. Please get her input. She is the one who will be wearing it.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OP
Please report back to us when you give the ring to your girlfriend.
I hope she will gush all over it. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results