shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with round diamond selection for solitaire engagement ring

DiamondHelp1122

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

I'm looking for some insight and opinions here. I think I've come to my final three options for a diamond for an engagement ring. I'm still a little torn on color, but here are some pictures of an H, I, and J diamond I'm considering. These should all have similar cuts based on my filter, but everything else is varying a little bit. The H and I diamond are a little smaller, 1.23 carats, vs the J diamond at 1.37 carats. I'm leaning towards the J since it's bigger and I think the diamond's supposedly ideal cut and the ring (yellow gold with white gold setting, solitaire) will mask some color. For reference, the I option is roughly $200 more, and 0.14 carats smaller than the J. The H option is roughly $1000 more, and 0.13 carats smaller than the J. It's also stretching my budget. Do you see any issues with any of these? Which one would you pick and why (personal preferences are welcome)?

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• H VS2 1.23 post r.png
    H VS2 1.23 post r.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 40
  • I VS1 1.23 post r.png
    I VS1 1.23 post r.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 40
  • J VVS2 1.37 post r.png
    J VVS2 1.37 post r.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 40
HI There.
I am not an expert and I am sure others will chime in but I have been here on and off for a few years and I have upgraded my center stone twice now.

If I could give anyone advice starting out, I would say you 100% must get an ACA stone from Whiteflash. They have all the perfect proportions that you want for BEST performance of the stone. I learned it goes WAY beyond just color and VS1 VVS2 etc.
IF you are not getting an ACA then you are searching and spending a lot of time to find all the right proportions for best performance and the ACA takes the work out.

I would search WF ACA"s in your budget and allow yourself to consider J or even K's and up. then you can share a few here for folks to help you pick from. An ACA is so different then any other stone.

WF also has a great upgrade policy so down the line they will give you your money back if the next stone you get is 50% more then the first.

www.whiteflash.com

Since you are leaning towards the J, my first question would be have you seen a GIA J in person to make sure that any tint that you see doesn't bother you? I think you should know your color tolerance before deciding on any stone.

What's your budget so we can look around for you?

Thanks for all the replies so far! I have also been looking on whiteflash at the ACA diamonds. I've found a few there I like too but they do seem a little more expensive (could be very well worth it from what I've read). I have seen a GIA J at a local jeweler. It looked nice but I didn't look at it next to other stones. I wish I would have but at that time I didn't do enough research to consider it. I would like to go back and take a look again. I didn't notice any obvious color, I don't think my gf would either but I'm not positive. That stone had a "worse" cut from what I've read. Still triple excellent but the proportions weren't great according to my research (new here so maybe I'm wrong). I'd like to be under 5.5k on the diamond but could do 6k maybe a little more if I found a great deal.

Thanks for all the replies so far! I have also been looking on whiteflash at the ACA diamonds. I've found a few there I like too but they do seem a little more expensive (could be very well worth it from what I've read). I have seen a GIA J at a local jeweler. It looked nice but I didn't look at it next to other stones. I wish I would have but at that time I didn't do enough research to consider it. I would like to go back and take a look again. I didn't notice any obvious color, I don't think my gf would either but I'm not positive. That stone had a "worse" cut from what I've read. Still triple excellent but the proportions weren't great according to my research (new here so maybe I'm wrong). I'd like to be under 5.5k on the diamond but could do 6k maybe a little more if I found a great deal.

Look at this diamond and also the wire price. This is a super ideal cut from Whiteflash with top of the line optics and performance. They are very customer oriented so give them a call and ask them to do a video for you comparing this diamond to a J color diamond. They will show you the diamond face up and face down so you can have a good comparison for color. These diamonds are more expensive because they are cut for performance not weight. That means more diamond material is lost in cutting. You will also have their trade in policy available to you. These diamonds will leave you with no doubts, no hesitation and an elated fiancée!

If you think J color works and you want to stay under 5.5k, look at this one. WF says it's eye clean.

Also, please remember that an ideal cut stone will look larger than one that is not as well cut, so check the ACA's at WF in a bit smaller size to see what is also available in your price range.

Thanks for these suggestions! I've only heard great things about whiteflash. My only hesitation is that I found a setting I think I like better elsewhere. Also on some of these I can see the inclusions more. That might just mean they're better pictures. I feel like both of those issues may resolved by reaching out to them and maybe getting some additional images/videos. Really hard to tell with photos. If WF says its eye clean I'm probably being too picky on magnified photos. I really appreciate you all sending these to me!

Thanks for these suggestions! I've only heard great things about whiteflash. My only hesitation is that I found a setting I think I like better elsewhere. Also on some of these I can see the inclusions more. That might just mean they're better pictures. I feel like both of those issues may resolved by reaching out to them and maybe getting some additional images/videos. Really hard to tell with photos. If WF says its eye clean I'm probably being too picky on magnified photos. I really appreciate you all sending these to me!

Can you show us the setting?

Yes, you can see the inclusions more on the videos but WF says they are eye clean. so you should follow up with them and ask them for their definition (how many inches from normal viewing) but also think about the size of the video and the actual size of the diamond. The videos do exaggerate them so speaking to WF can helps so you are not frightened off from a stone for no reason.

You are welcome! I understand about liking another setting but. . .the real expense of a ring comes from the diamond. Getting a well cut diamond is more important than a setting IMO - just sayin'. That being said, however, you can purchase a loose diamond from Whiteflash and have it set elsewhere. As for the inclusions, those videos are shot at about 40x magnification. There is no 'too picky' and you want to make sure that they are eye clean. You are the paying customer so don't feel bad about nitpicking or asking questions. If those diamonds interest you, give them a call and talk with them. That costs nothing and they are more than happy to talk with you. Speak to anyone you consider buying a diamond from and be sure to ask for pictures and hopefully videos. Explore all options because engagement rings are expensive things and you want to feel like you have done your due diligence I am sure. This is a ring she might be wearing every day for the rest of her life!

Yeah I totally agree about the diamond. I've been focusing mostly on the that but I'm trying to get as close as possible to the ring she sent me as an example. Definitely didn't expect this to be as difficult as it is (or as I'm making it lol). There's just so much to learn. The first one is the one I've had my eye on, the next is the closest one I found on whiteflash (twice the price but has platinum instead of white gold prongs), and then there are two more from WF that are kind of close (including price) but I don't like as much at first glance. I'm out of town now but once I get home I'll definitely be talking to WF too. At the very least I'll feel like I've done my due diligence.Screenshot_20241012-094238.pngScreenshot_20241012-093859~2.pngScreenshot_20241012-093821~2.pngScreenshot_20241012-093645.png

I only wish I had gone with WF for my first stone/ring.
I only found them through here.

To get the best most incredible stone for your money, WF is the only option.

And you can upgrade so for 5 yr anniversary or 10 you can save for a larger stone to get at those milestones

They can also MAKE you the setting if u don’t find one on their site to match the idea she sent.

Lots of options

Or if you and GF are speaking about it you can send her like 5 settings on WF that you think may work and just ask her to tell you to pick her favorite 2 of the 5. Tell her you’re just doing research.

Then you pick but you know she’ll love it

I’ll also add I spent the last month picking a stone from WF

They will send you photos and videos of 2-3 stones you are considering
This way you can see them side-by-side on someone’s hand
They will tell you which ones appear white which ones have a little bit of tint if any do

They will tell you if they are clean to their eye as they have them on hand

They are very, very honest so if they see an inclusion, they will tell you exactly where it is, and if they can cover it with a prong. You can’t go wrong.

I also went back-and-forth back-and-forth with them and the other day finally decided on a stone.

Yeah I totally agree about the diamond. I've been focusing mostly on the that but I'm trying to get as close as possible to the ring she sent me as an example. Definitely didn't expect this to be as difficult as it is (or as I'm making it lol). There's just so much to learn. The first one is the one I've had my eye on, the next is the closest one I found on whiteflash (twice the price but has platinum instead of white gold prongs), and then there are two more from WF that are kind of close (including price) but I don't like as much at first glance. I'm out of town now but once I get home I'll definitely be talking to WF too. At the very least I'll feel like I've done my due diligence.Screenshot_20241012-094238.pngScreenshot_20241012-093859~2.pngScreenshot_20241012-093821~2.pngScreenshot_20241012-093645.png

A six prong setting will not be a difficult find. The Vatche U113 is a beautiful setting, but their Valoria six prong setting is very pretty too. Just give them a call and discuss it with them. They are so customer oriented and will make you feel like a cherished friend. I have dealt with them many times and have always been more than pleased. You can search Pricescope and find that many others have as well. Absolutely check out all your options before making a decision. I would have loved to have this option available to my husband and myself when first getting engaged, but that was long before the internet and Whiteflash! Lol! Just glad I was finally able to get an ACA diamond of my own. Went back and got earrings and pendant too. There will be anniversaries and birthdays through the coming years, so plenty of opportunities to think about more jewelry down the line!

and keep in mind their 'Expert Selection" usually is a diamond that just didn't quite make it to be the ACA; something just was 'off' a tiny bit and the price should reflect that.

You could also send your inspiration ring settings to WF and they may be able to find that setting as a custom order.
My photo is a custom 6 prong 1.03ct ACA from them.

I have the petite valoria in platinum. I think it’s a beautiful setting! You could ask them to change the head to platinum and keep the shank in yellow gold, to match your girlfriend’s inspo.

I like the J from your initial post the best of the three you proporsed. It have nice proportions and it’s large.

Thanks again for all the feedback everyone! I just reached out to WF to share what I'm looking for. I think if I could find the right price ring I could get a decent ACA diamond from there. I'm looking forward to hearing what they have to say. I do really think that J from my initial post will look nice too though. Hopefully I'll be able to get enough info to make a choice this weekend!

Thanks again for all the feedback everyone! I just reached out to WF to share what I'm looking for. I think if I could find the right price ring I could get a decent ACA diamond from there. I'm looking forward to hearing what they have to say. I do really think that J from my initial post will look nice too though. Hopefully I'll be able to get enough info to make a choice this weekend!

Best of luck to you in your diamond search! You can’t go wrong with an ACA - you just have to find that perfect combo of size, color, clarity and price. Please keep us posted - the journey is half of the fun!

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP