shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with the Purchase/Setting everything

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LeoK

Rough_Rock
Hello, Guys.

As many posters before me, I have been lurking around the website for a long time now. It is an amazing resource, and I would appreciate everyone''s assistance in my first time purchase of such an expensive product online.

E-RING. I know that some of my questions may have been addressed in other threads. However, buying the ring is such a stressful process that I would love your support, understanding, and participation in this endeavor.

1. What am I going to buy --

a) 1.2-1.25 round, G color, VVS1 or VVS 2; excellent cut [GIA] or ideal [AGS]
b) 1.0-1.15 round, E-F color, VVS1 or VVS2; excellent cut [GIA] or ideal [AGS]

Question #1: Is it better to buy a larger diamond with a G color or a smaller diamond with an E-F color? I am not going below G. How white will a G diamond look? Will there be a discernible difference between G and F?

Question #2: I have noticed in my research that if I want to stay within a reasonable budget, diamonds with better color have more inclusions or additional inclusions, such as crystals, indented naturals etc. Should I be worried about these inclusions, when the clarity rating is VVS.

Question #3: Looking at Lab Reports, I have noticed that some of them do not show inclusions. What does that mean?

2. Setting.

a) I was looking at Mark Morrell''s settings:

Question #1: my girlfriend has a relatively small finger size - approximately 4.5. I have already decided to go with a petite version of one of Mark''s settings [that''s if I do choose Mark Morrell].
--However, should I request even a thinner shank - 2.2-2.4?
--Also, should I request thinner prongs? It appears that everyone praises Mark''s settings, but some comments indicate that his pieces are "very substantial." I don''t want the ring to look too heavy on my girlfriend''s small fingers.
--Heart prongs vs. standard prongs?
--Which setting should I pick - Sunburst, Flame, or Torchiere? What are pros and cons for each?
--Tapered setting vs. non-tapered setting? Pros and cons?

b) Morrell vs. Leon setting - pros and cons?

3. Buying; Appraisal; Insurance.

My understanding is that Mark''s insurance does not cover damage during the setting process. So if I want to buy insurance, I would need to appraise the diamond before the setting takes place. Right?

Any good appraisers in NYC? Or should I just go with Atlas Lab?

How do I coordinate the process? Do I contact Mark first; then the appraisal lab; then the insurance company... I don''t even know where to start.

Date: 12/1/2008 2:52:50 PM
Author:LeoK
Hello, Guys.

As many posters before me, I have been lurking around the website for a long time now. It is an amazing resource, and I would appreciate everyone's assistance in my first time purchase of such an expensive product online.

E-RING. I know that some of my questions may have been addressed in other threads. However, buying the ring is such a stressful process that I would love your support, understanding, and participation in this endeavor.

1. What am I going to buy --

a) 1.2-1.25 round, G color, VVS1 or VVS 2; excellent cut [GIA] or ideal [AGS]
b) 1.0-1.15 round, E-F color, VVS1 or VVS2; excellent cut [GIA] or ideal [AGS] Either would be fine, but unless you particularly want such high clarity, many VS diamonds are completely eyeclean.

Question #1: Is it better to buy a larger diamond with a G color or a smaller diamond with an E-F color? I am not going below G. How white will a G diamond look? Will there be a discernible difference between G and F? Doubtful there would be a difference ( GIA/ AGS graded) that many would notice, both will be very white diamonds and it comes down to budget and preference as to which you choose.

Question #2: I have noticed in my research that if I want to stay within a reasonable budget, diamonds with better color have more inclusions or additional inclusions, such as crystals, indented naturals etc. Should I be worried about these inclusions, when the clarity rating is VVS. No, any VVS inclusions will be minuscule - no worries.
Question #3: Looking at Lab Reports, I have noticed that some of them do not show inclusions. What does that mean? There may not be much in the way of inclusions to plot especially with higher clarity grades. Sometimes if viewing reports scanned on websites, plotted inclusions don't always show clearly especially if there isn't much there to begin with. Check with the vendor in each case anyway.

2. Setting.

a) I was looking at Mark Morrell's settings:

Question #1: my girlfriend has a relatively small finger size - approximately 4.5. I have already decided to go with a petite version of one of Mark's settings [that's if I do choose Mark Morrell].
--However, should I request even a thinner shank - 2.2-2.4?
--Also, should I request thinner prongs? It appears that everyone praises Mark's settings, but some comments indicate that his pieces are 'very substantial.' I don't want the ring to look too heavy on my girlfriend's small fingers.
--Heart prongs vs. standard prongs?
--Which setting should I pick - Sunburst, Flame, or Torchiere? What are pros and cons for each?
--Tapered setting vs. non-tapered setting? Pros and cons?

The above would best be discussed with MM, however other MM owners may have some advice for you.

b) Morrell vs. Leon setting - pros and cons? Both are masters at what they do, personally if I wanted micropave I would choose Leon, for fluidity and plain platinum, MM.

3. Buying; Appraisal; Insurance.

My understanding is that Mark's insurance does not cover damage during the setting process. So if I want to buy insurance, I would need to appraise the diamond before the setting takes place. Right? A good detailed appraisal would be useful but you could find you get an appraisal included with your diamond which might serve. Check with your insurance company as to specifics.

Any good appraisers in NYC? Or should I just go with Atlas Lab? Atlas are highly recommended, but if you want to consider more options, here is a tool you can use to find more appraisers in the NYC area.

https://www.pricescope.com/appr_list.aspx

How do I coordinate the process? Do I contact Mark first; then the appraisal lab; then the insurance company... I don't even know where to start. Well it depends, you can contact Mark to find out what his schedule is and start looking for your diamond anyway, then you can get the appraisal and necessary insurance as you need it. You may need a separate rider/ cover if you buy the diamond unset ( make sure your insurance co knows the stone is unset) to cover the setting process when it takes place.

Thanks, Lorelei.

I really appreciate your response. I am looking forward to others adding their input as well. And guys, if you dealt with MM, I would appreciate if you could answer my questions about his work.

1) I''d personally go with the larger diamond. Once set, most people would not be able to tell the difference between an F and G colored stone.

2) no, I would not be worried about the inclusions in a VVS stone.

3) ditto lorelei''s answer above

setting:

1) you can ask Mark about a thinner setting but it would probably be custom which is a longer wait. I think the size he already makes his standard petite versions would be thin enough on her size hand.

2) you can ask for thinner prongs but again, i would trust mark''s eye and trust the size he make''s his prongs and settings if you are going to him for a Mark Morrell ring

3) I vote standard prongs

4) the setting is very personal. I like the sunburst personally but that''s me..and no taper.

5) Leon is great too and makes a gorgeous solitaire. I do think I''d be more inclined to choose Leon for delicate ring and prongs or a pave ring. MM is known for the beauty and finish of his platinum.

6) I would get an insurance policy through Jewelers Mutual that will cover a loose stone while it''s being set or have the stone set in a temp. setting, insure it and then send it to mark so it''s covered.

7) check resources for NY appraiser''s but Atlas is great!!

8)Do you have your stone? I would get the stone, email Mark and check the timeline, send the stone to the appraiser, the appraiser will have to send it to mark. Contact your insurance once you have the appraisal.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP