shape
carat
color
clarity

Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

canucksfan

Rough_Rock
Hi, I am a complete amateur when it comes to buying diamond rings - I am planning on proposing to my girlfriend at Christmas. I have been considering buying the stone through an online retailer such as bluenile.com, although some of the posts on this forum seem to highly recommend goodoldgold.com. I live in Edmonton, Alberta. Is it possible to buy the stone online and buy the setting from a local retailer and have them set the diamond? Can someone recommend a jeweller in town that would allow me to bring in my own diamond and simply buy a setting from them?

Mike

I don't know any jewelers where you are from but many people here on pricescope have bought the stone online and have set the diamond locally....personally, i would just get a setting online and let them set it unless you(she) have you heart set on some setting you seen locally

and yes, goodoldgold.com and also whiteflash.com are great places to buy diamonds from (the best imho)

Date: 11/25/2008 1:51:50 AM
Author:canucksfan
Hi, I am a complete amateur when it comes to buying diamond rings - I am planning on proposing to my girlfriend at Christmas. I have been considering buying the stone through an online retailer such as bluenile.com, although some of the posts on this forum seem to highly recommend goodoldgold.com. I live in Edmonton, Alberta. Is it possible to buy the stone online and buy the setting from a local retailer and have them set the diamond? Can someone recommend a jeweller in town that would allow me to bring in my own diamond and simply buy a setting from them?

Mike
Welcome Mike!

Yes it is possible, one thing though, ask if the jeweller will take responsibility if any damage should occur while setting the diamond. This is admittedly rare but jewellers won''t often take responsibility for diamonds they did not sell, just something to bear in mind.

Date: 11/25/2008 3:12:29 AM
Author: Lorelei

Welcome Mike!

Yes it is possible, one thing though, ask if the jeweller will take responsibility if any damage should occur while setting the diamond. This is admittedly rare but jewellers won''t often take responsibility for diamonds they did not sell, just something to bear in mind.
Ditto. It might be easier and safer to buy both online. You can do a search on here for GOG setting''s, there are many thread with pics.

you can buy a diamond online and then a setting locally. You should be expect to pay a fee for their benchwork.
I found this to be popular: the jeweler will take responsibility if any damage occur while setting the diamond, but for like-quality only. Ask and understand their policy before you go to them.

Propose at Christmas? How exciting!!! Good luck on your search

Whiteflash is offering a 10% discount on their settings if you purchase an ACA or ES stone from them. I personally would rather have them set the stone (or which ever PS trusted vendor you choice) because you can see tons of examples of their workmanship right her on PS. We post magnified photos and expect our jewelry to hold up under PS scrutiny.

They have many customers that are not in the US, too.

Thank you everyone for your comments. Without this forum, I would never have heard of Whiteflash or goodoldgold. I have been learning so much since finding this website yesterday.

I have decided to purchase both the stone and the setting from an online retailer - most likely whiteflash. I love the selection of settings they offer. I love this setting in particular:

http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Solitaire/-Flush-Fit--Cathedral-Style-Diamond-Ring_1065.htm#

I would love to spend thousands on my girl but am working with essentially a student budget at this point in my life. It''s not the most expensive ring there is but I think it''s beautiful. I would love some feedback.

Mike

I love that one too....I am actually torn between the two. I kind of liked the extra little diamond in the first one.

The one that neartfreak posted flows so nice. I like the lines better on the one she posted. However, it is up to you in the end so good luck!

I love the first one you picked, canucksfan. I like it wider near the stone.

However, the size of the stone you pick might make one or the other a better choice. What size and shape are you aiming for?

Thanks Swingirl. I am still undecided between the two. In terms of the size of the stone, it''ll probably be around 0.75 ct. I''m trying to keep it a surprise so it''s been a bit of a challenge in trying to figure this stuff out on my own, but I think the surprise will be worth it....hopefully.

The only thing that I know that my girlfriend doesn''t want is something that is set really high - the only example I can find on Whiteflash that she would probably not prefer is something like this:

http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Diamond-Settings/The--Legato--with-Micro-Pave_1071.htm#

I think she would prefer something set a little bit lower.

Can anyone help me figure out whether the ones I have been considering on whiteflash are set too high? I can''t really tell from the pictures on the website.

Date: 11/26/2008 1:29:48 AM
Author: canucksfan
Thanks Swingirl. I am still undecided between the two. In terms of the size of the stone, it''ll probably be around 0.75 ct. I''m trying to keep it a surprise so it''s been a bit of a challenge in trying to figure this stuff out on my own, but I think the surprise will be worth it....hopefully.

The only thing that I know that my girlfriend doesn''t want is something that is set really high - the only example I can find on Whiteflash that she would probably not prefer is something like this:

http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Diamond-Settings/The--Legato--with-Micro-Pave_1071.htm#

I think she would prefer something set a little bit lower.

Can anyone help me figure out whether the ones I have been considering on whiteflash are set too high? I can''t really tell from the pictures on the website.
You could ask WF to set the diamond a little lower if that is what you want.

Good call on getting both done in one place. I live in calgary and went through the same thing, but couldn''t have been happier. Good luck on the xmas proposal. I would really make a decision soon, as xmas is a REALLY busy time for jewellers, and they sometimes have wait times... GOOD LUCK!!!

I actually like the first one you posted better, I think it''s the flush fit cathedral. I know the sleek line is much more populer around here, I just really happen to like the first one. You''re going to be so happy you found Whiteflash. They are awesome and your gf will be over the moon with her gorgeous ring!

I actually like the 1st setting you posted better too, better lines

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP