shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you get in the jewelry business?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
So I'm a software developer. It pays the bills. Keep me enjoying my hobby (horseback riding). But I don't love it. What I LOVE is jewlery. It's been my dream to work in a jewelery store. But I'm guessing that I can't make the same paycheck my being a sales associate. Though I did offer to work over Christmas at my favorite jewlery store. They aren't hiring xmas help this year unfortunately. That would so much FUN! Just imagining all the jewelery that I would get to play with! Dang it.

So I just found out about PS a couple weeks ago. Now that my diamond search is over I'm wondering what it takes to get into the business. WF is too far away or I'd be calling them wanting to work there! :) I assume there are many routes you could take. . . creating jewlery, appraising, etc. I know there are a lot of people on here in the business and maybe they could tell their stories and give advice? I don't even know where I'd go to get the education. A quick google search the other day didn't turn up much except online videos. Not quite what I was looking for. Heck I might even be too old to be doing this! I just turned 30 last month. Maybe it's a mini-mid-life-crisis! :) But once my ring search was over and I was sitting at my computer at work I realized (no I admitted - I always KNEW) that my dream is to work with jewelery. Is it too late to try it? I don't even know where to start!

Scot

Rough_Rock
My company JewelryRep works to develop and promote jewelry companies. If you don''t want to start your own just now my partner know hundreds of established jewelers and may be able to recommend someone that will let you on to gain experience. If you want just email me [email protected]. Also, where are you located?

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The best way to get your feet wet in the jewelry biz is to "stand behind the counter" (even very part time). A local independent jeweler with a solid educational background in the trade who would like to teach you (the right way) would
be an ideal scenario.
Take a course or two from GIA..you''ll need a solid education in diamonds and gemstones.
Most of us (appraisers, vendors, diamond experts, etc) grew up in the trade and worked for family
businesses or were in retail or wholesale for many years.
The jewelry industry is constantly changing and it''s vital to stay current with all the latest topics.
Many jewelers today are finding out that many consumers might know more than the sales people.
Good luck with pursuing your passion!

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
Scot - I will email you later today! I''m located in IL, in the St Louis metro area.

I would love to work behind a counter. That''s why I offered part time xmas help, but with the ecomony not many stores are hiring xmas help. But to be quite frank I''m also concerned they don''t know what they are talking about. The saleslady at the store that is mounting my WF diamond told me they grade color from the top and showed me how! Totally wrong as evidenced in another thread I posted. Nice. So I''d want a reputable place and would honestly like it to be a place that has a jewler on site so I''m learning from someone more dependable than the sales people. :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results