shape
carat
color
clarity

How does this stone sound?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

braintree

Rough_Rock
Hello all. So I came across this stone

F Color
SI2 but very eye clean
GIA Ideal
Round
59.7% Dept
58% Table
Very good polish
Very good symmerty
faint flour
6.61 x 6.49 x 3.91

Unfortunately, the site did not have the cert so crown and pav is unknown. From just this info, can a conclusion be made on the "sparkle" of the stone? I was able to see the ideal a scope and it showed the hearts/arrows pattern but it was not certified as one. I''m no expert so I''m assuming that the porptions are not good enough to label it such even though I though I saw the h&a''s. Any help or opinoins will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

It's a bit shallow and the table is a bit big...but hard to say without the other info.

And #1 if it's not certified it can't be GIA anything and #2 GIA doesn't even use the term ideal.

Most stones show an H&A of some level but are not neccessarily really H&A. I find that the diameter variation in that stone takes it out of the true H&A range...

Thanks for the reply. There is a cert, it''s not available today. I''m hoping to get it soon. Since GIA doesn''t have an ideal grade, is the vendor saying that it is ideal?

Date: 11/30/2008 6:27:03 PM
Author: braintree
Thanks for the reply. There is a cert, it''s not available today. I''m hoping to get it soon. Since GIA doesn''t have an ideal grade, is the vendor saying that it is ideal?

Sounds like it...so I would take that with a grain of salt for sure.

Hi Braintree,

It could be a tighter cut diamond by the look of it, but the angles are the missing piece of the puzzle, so if you can get them let us know and we can go from there.

Got the cert
F Color
SI2 but very eye clean
GIA Ideal
Round
59.7% Dept
58% Table
Very good polish
Very good symmerty
faint flour
6.61 x 6.49 x 3.91

crown 33.5
pav 40.8

Any inputs? I want to close the deal today or tomorrow. Thanks!!

Date: 12/1/2008 12:20:23 PM
Got the cert
F Color
SI2 but very eye clean
GIA Ideal
Round
59.7% Dept
58% Table
Very good polish
Very good symmerty
faint flour
6.61 x 6.49 x 3.91

crown 33.5
pav 40.8

Any inputs? I want to close the deal today or tomorrow. Thanks!!
Thanks! Well the angles are complimentary so the diamond looks to be what we call a nice make of stone, not cut to superideal standards but a decently cut diamond. Where you say it is very eyeclean, have you seen the diamond in person to know this, or is this the seller's opinion? If so you might want to clarify what their standards are concerning whether a diamond is eyeclean or not and if this matches your expectations. Is it with an online seller or a store jeweller? Also a diamond can show an arrow pattern yet not meet the strict standards required to be a true hearts and arrows stone as agreed by experts, so if a true h&a diamond is important to you, consider looking at a branded ACA from Whiteflash, or Hearts on Fire if there is a dealer near you.

Thanks so far!! I have seen the stone and I was unable to find the inclusions. On the gia cert, one is suppose to be on the side which, I''m assuming, can be partially hidden by the prong. Also, based on the dimensions, it scored a 0.9. Another stone that I am considering is a true h&a but that scored a 2. How much stock should I put into the hca score? Will the true h&a stone "out sparkle" the near h&a stone even though it has a worse score of 2? I didn''t have a chance to see the true h&a but did see the ags cert.

Date: 12/1/2008 3:58:12 PM

Thanks so far!! I have seen the stone and I was unable to find the inclusions. On the gia cert, one is suppose to be on the side which, I'm assuming, can be partially hidden by the prong. Also, based on the dimensions, it scored a 0.9. Another stone that I am considering is a true h&a but that scored a 2. How much stock should I put into the hca score? Will the true h&a stone 'out sparkle' the near h&a stone even though it has a worse score of 2? I didn't have a chance to see the true h&a but did see the ags cert.

The HCA isn't used for selecting diamonds but for elimination, the aim is to score 2 or below in most cases then evaluate from there with Idealscope images, your own eyes and trusted vendor or appraiser input. A score of 2 isn't worse or better than a .9, as long as you score 2 or under you have a chance of the diamond performing well and looking good in most cases, but as the HCA cannot physically see the stone, and there are other factors it can't predict, actual images of the diamond, your own impressions and preferences and or expert vendor advice are crucial for making a decision. Can you post the proportions of the other diamond please, then we can help you from there.

And you are most welcome!

Thanks. Here are the specs for the other stone.
Carat: 1.08
Color: H
Clarity: SI2
Cut: SIGNATURE
Shape: Round
Depth %: 61.2
Table %: 58
crown 35
pav 40.9
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 6.58*6.62*4.00

I have not seen this stone in person so I''m not sure how good the si2 but it is a true h&a. Thanks because I''m as lost as can be =(

Date: 12/1/2008 4:18:11 PM
Thanks. Here are the specs for the other stone.
Carat: 1.08
Color: H
Clarity: SI2
Cut: SIGNATURE
Shape: Round
Depth %: 61.2
Table %: 58
crown 35
pav 40.9
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 6.58*6.62*4.00

I have not seen this stone in person so I'm not sure how good the si2 but it is a true h&a. Thanks because I'm as lost as can be =(
Don't feel lost - you are doing fine! =) This looks promising, I would ask for an Idealscope image for the diamond if you can get one, is it with an online vendor? An Idealscope would be useful as the angles are hovering around what we call steep deep range. This basically means the angles are a little steep and deep and there is a possibility of light leakage, but an Idealscope image would show if there is, or if you can see the diamond in person, check it out carefully away from the store lights to see if you can see any darkness in the top of the diamond. It might be perfectly fine, but I would advise caution in case. Also if the diamond is being advertised as a hearts and arrows diamond, on what basis is this? Do you have the hearts images and the arrows to post?

Unfortunately, there are no pics of the actual stone, just the gia cert. If I purchase it, I won''t be able to see it first hand, I can only trust what the sales person would say (who is a pricescope vendor).

showFile.jpg

Ok in that case they should be able to provide Idealscope and or the other images. Check also that the cloud inclusion noted isn't affecting brilliance.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP