shape
carat
color
clarity

How Important is Polish - My First Rock

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CatGoesMeow

Rough_Rock
I just purchased my first/last diamond (i hope) the specs are decent. One thing I''m concerned about is the polish. The polish of the diamond is "Good", all the diamonds im browseing on the diamond search on pricescope seem to be very good. Is there a major visual diff between good and very good.

Date: 11/26/2008 1:43:46 PM
Author:CatGoesMeow
I just purchased my first/last diamond (i hope) the specs are decent. One thing I'm concerned about is the polish. The polish of the diamond is 'Good', all the diamonds im browseing on the diamond search on pricescope seem to be very good. Is there a major visual diff between good and very good.
Welcome!

You will not notice a visual difference between good polish and above. Fair and poor polish you could notice a visual difference. It depends on what you are looking for, top cut superideal diamonds often have excellent or ideal symmetry and polish as part of the high quality finish of the diamond, but many very attractive stones are found with good/ very good etc. What is important is to evaluate the whole diamond's proportions to judge how well the diamond is likely to perform or sparkle.

Thanx for the reply.. I keep wondering if should i have gotten that higher grade or etc.. Since this will be the one time i buy this i wanna make it right.

measurements: 6.55 x 6.16 x 4.65 mm
weight 1.53ct
its a Radiant Cut
depth: 75.5%
table: 76%
gridle: med to slightly thick
polish good
symmetry: good
clairty: vs1
color: d
florescence: none

Date: 11/26/2008 2:57:33 PM
Anonymous Wrote:
Thanx for the reply.. I keep wondering if should i have gotten that higher grade or etc.. Since this will be the one time i buy this i wanna make it right.

measurements: 6.55 x 6.16 x 4.65 mm
weight 1.53ct
its a Radiant Cut
depth: 75.5%
table: 76%
gridle: med to slightly thick
polish good
symmetry: good
clairty: vs1
color: d
florescence: none
With fancy cuts such as radiants, usually you see more ' good ' grades for polish and symmetry than in round diamonds, where we often see here more of very good and above, so I wouldn't worry too much. I don't see any flags with the info you posted, and D VS1 sounds very nice! Radiants need to be seen as you can't tell much by numbers, so if you love the diamond then that is the main thing! I take it the diamond has a GIA report?

Here is a picture i took with my camera phone, and its GIA laser inscribed

Thank you for your help.. I just needed reassurance, this is as bad as buying a car..
26.gif
26.gif

Date: 11/26/2008 3:07:20 PM
Anonymous Wrote:
Here is a picture i took with my camera phone, and its GIA laser inscribed

Thank you for your help.. I just needed reassurance, this is as bad as buying a car..
26.gif
26.gif
Thats a shame, the pic doesn't show and I would love to see it!!

And you are most welcome, I totally understand! Once the purchase is done, then little concerns can creep in which is totally understandable! As I said to another poster earlier, I am the same way myself, but I view it as being the sign of a smart shopper to carefully question and consider a major purchase, that way you tend to be happier with it in the long run I think.

ETA - I can't get the second link to work? If you are having trouble, email the image to admin and they can post it for you.

Excited? Yes a bit.. also a lil paranoid it wont sparkle. Things never seem to go my way until (first and only time seeing it was a blurrrr)

having owned and own diamonds with all polish grades there really is no difference good and up. as i understand it good refers to the uniformity as much as the quality of the actual polishing job so its much harder to get the polish uniform on fancies than rounds---i have seen a great many Tiffany & co diamonds with good symmetry and good polish for what its worth.

More Reassurance Thank youu!!!! its putting me at ease
18.gif

Date: 11/26/2008 3:20:41 PM
Anonymous Wrote:
Excited? Yes a bit.. also a lil paranoid it wont sparkle. Things never seem to go my way until (first and only time seeing it was a blurrrr)
Well diamonds don''t sparkle in all lights, but if you haven''t yet taken possession of the ring, ask to check it out away from the store lights to make sure it still appeals to you in the more '' everyday'' lighting where the ring will be worn.

honestly-a well cut stone with a good polish grade will sparkle far more than a poorly cut stone with a very good polish. your stone looks great based on the specs but Lorelei is right--its important to look at it in plain vanilla outdoor light -

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP