shape
carat
color
clarity

How large a diamond pendant for everyday wear

Rrolack

Rough_Rock
Hi folks,

I'm looking to get my wife a diamond necklace as a surprise gift. We actually looked at some necklaces at DeBeers yesterday, and we liked this style:

I see this particular setting can take a center stone anywhere from 0.5 ct to 1.25 ct. My question is about how large a center stone is appropriate for everyday wear. I really want this to be a necklace she can wear everyday, and not a "special occasion" type of piece.

To give some background, she is 33 y/o, living in Manhattan, where bigger engagement rings and other jewelry aren't that unusual.

Any thoughts? The one she tried on was 1 ct, and that was really nice. Any thoughts about this vs a bigger 1.25 ct for everyday wear? I'd ask my wife what she thinks, but that would ruin the surprise!!

She has said she wouldn't mind if her 1.7 ct engagement ring were a little bigger; is that a hint to lean toward a bigger size here?

I'd love to hear any and all thoughts!

_18772.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
In solitaire I would want 1.25ct if I could get it, but in that type of halo I would aim for 6mm, or .80ct, because the halo adds so much size. An extra .5mm or even 1mm on the diamond -- equivalent to a 1ct or 1.25ct stone -- wont make much difference in overall diameter because it is such a small as a proportion of the total diameter. So I would not waste the money!

facetgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Let me ask, do you think she may be putting feelers out for an upgrade to her engagement ring? If that's the case, would she prefer that over a necklace?

Other than that, what a lovely surprise you have planned! I think a 1 ct or a 1.25 ct in a halo might be too big for every day where. The .80 ct suggested above is a great size, given the halo. A friend of mine has the Forevermark halo- and it is breathtaking.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It sounds like she's more interested in a ring upgrade than new pendant. To answer your question, I think a haloed 0.8 ct would command presence yet look appropriate for daily wear.

Rrolack

Rough_Rock
I am sure she's not looking to upgrade her engagement ring; I've brought up the idea with her, but she feels very attached to the original ring (a 1.7 ct princess).

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Does she wear studs? Diamond studs would be physically much closer to the pendant most of the time, so that relationship may be more important than the e-ring.

If so, I might go a little bigger than the individual stud weight.

If she doesn't wear studs, buy what she tried on and loves!

That said, "too big" isn't in my vocabulary. :naughty:

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am with Starryeyed. The necklace is lovely. But I think it depends on what your wife does daily. Does she work? Is she running around with kids? Both? I love diamonds studs too. I have 3 carat tw diamond studs - really good stones, very clean, white and ideal cut. I am older than your wife but got mine for my 40th birthday. I wear them everyday. Never take them off except to clean or if I want to wear something to change it up. Classic and beautiful. I am a lawyer and would wear the halo necklace - just probably not to work everyday. But it is beautiful and I would get it in a one carat or 1.25 size.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since she tried on and liked a 1 ct center, I would not buy smaller than that. It will definitely be impressive in size with the halo! I would have WF add some milgrain to that bezel around the diamon, though, as I think the bezel is too wide and prominent. Actually, I'd want milgrain on the outer halo edge as well. If she doesn't care for that, then I'd ask for the bezel to be a little narrower.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi rrolack and welcome!

I would aim for a full carat or a bit more personally, in order to allow for a little shrinkage! A stone of that size is going to look very substantial in that setting, so I don't think you can go wrong with the size range above.

What a lovely Husband you are to get your wife such a beautiful gift!

simurgh

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1401456221|3683076 said:
Since she tried on and liked a 1 ct center, I would not buy smaller than that. It will definitely be impressive in size with the halo! I would have WF add some milgrain to that bezel around the diamon, though, as I think the bezel is too wide and prominent. Actually, I'd want milgrain on the outer halo edge as well. If she doesn't care for that, then I'd ask for the bezel to be a little narrower.
+1
I would go for a one or 1.25. .... I would take her comment as a hint, and if price isn't a concern do the 1.25. The halo also looks like a halo (rather than melding with the stone and therefore looking like one giant stone), and in ny there are lots of big stones, so I think either size would be fine for everyday wear.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
I am with everyone else I think a1 to 1.25 carats but I like a halo that is more a halo and not a bezel then the pave stones. And for those out there 1 carat for a NY is more appropriate than .80

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
simurgh|1401500216|3683575 said:
diamondseeker2006|1401456221|3683076 said:
+1
I would go for a one or 1.25. .... I would take her comment as a hint,

Absolutely!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results