shape
carat
color
clarity

How risky is this open basket setting for 7-stone band?

sammy1032

Rough_Rock
I fell in love. Shared prongs but naked as a jay bird in the shower with no curtain in the setting. Designer is Mark Patterson. Good reputation and I really like the local jeweler here that carries it. Words of wisdom? Thoughts? I want this to be stacked with my wedding band. Clearly planning to take it off for chores/cleaning/cooking. Thank you!
IMG_8632.jpeg

Last edited:
Top view IMG_8633.jpeg

I have a similar band. I’ve had to be diligent about checking the stones and prongs for wiggling and bring it in for tightening every now and then. If it’s good quality should be OK. Just be aware there may be more maintenance and repair costs down the line.

I have a U prong 7 stone. I haven't had any problems with it. I dont wear it every day though. I would wear/buy that setting.
Just keep an eye on it and do a self-inspection every now and then.

Edit...duh, see avatar for U prong 7 stone!

Your description made me lol!

As others have said - it’s a setting that definitely requires babying. My friend lost a stone out of her 7-stone u-prong ring only a few weeks into getting it (it’s her wedding band, so was worn stacked with an e-ring).

I’d prefer to wear it unstacked, and definitely inspect it every once in a while to make sure the prongs are all firmly in place and not lifting etc. if you do stack it, make sure the diamonds aren’t coming in contact with other diamonds - I feel like all those exposed girdles can be a risk!

That being said I totally understand the draw. There’s something so beautiful about a u-prong setting, it’s like you see so much more of your diamonds and how they behave from different angles!

Less metal sometimes equates to less protection. Many value the side view but personally, I see my five stone ring much more frequently from the top view down. I have had my five stone ring from Memoire for 18 years with no loss whatsoever. There are trade offs on many things and a lot depends on how and how often you wear a piece of jewelry.
IMG_0961.jpegIMG_0964.jpeg

Less metal sometimes equates to less protection. Many value the side view but personally, I see my five stone ring much more frequently from the top view down. I have had my five stone ring from Memoire for 18 years with no loss whatsoever. There are trade offs on many things and a lot depends on how and how often you wear a piece of jewelry.
IMG_0961.jpegIMG_0964.jpeg

Thank you! I may be going out on a limb here but do you have a channel set band? I have always wanted to know what a channel set band would look like stacked on top of a seven stone!

I have a 3mm channel set band and a five stone ring. The proportions of both of these rings do not work together. The five stone ring sits much higher than the channel set band so it would basically be hidden. I wear the five stone alone and the channel set band as my wedding band.
IMG_0953.jpegIMG_0964.jpeg

I have a 3mm channel set band and a five stone ring. The proportions of both of these rings do not work together. The five stone ring sits much higher than the channel set band so it would basically be hidden. I wear the five stone alone and the channel set band as my wedding band.
IMG_0953.jpegIMG_0964.jpeg

Call me crazy but I want to see all 3 together. Even though hidden! Beautiful

Beautiful band!
I have had many u prong 5 and 7 stone bands, I always had stones set low but never lost a stone. I love to SEE the diamonds

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP